The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 29, 2005, 10:02 AM   #1
SnubbyMan

Advice on removing staked grip bushings (1911 Colt)

Just wondering if there is any secret in removing staked grip bushings. My primary goal is to not damage the threads on the frame. Keeping the original bushings is secondary, but would be nice. This is for a Colt series-70 repro.

Thanks!
Old April 29, 2005, 12:02 PM   #2
Dave Sample

There is no easy way. I replace them by griping the bushing with vice-grips and turning them out. New Bushings are needed when you want to re-install them. Why do you want to take them out? Are they damaged? The threads for the grip screw bushings can be cleaned up with a tap a lot easier that taking the old omes out.
Old April 29, 2005, 12:10 PM   #3
SnubbyMan

Thanks for the info! I just want to swap out the factory grips for some slim grips. I've ordered the appropriate bits from Brownell's. Just wondering if there was anything else I should keep in mind.
Old April 29, 2005, 01:02 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

I always had good luck using a special bushing driver bit.

You can buy these from Brownell's.
It's a hollow tubular screwdriver bit that fits any magnetic screwdriver handle.

The driver supports the hollow bushing to prevent damaging it, and usually allows removing the bushing without damaging either the frame or the bushing.

Since Colt stakes their bushings this works well.
Other makers often use Loctite to hold theirs in place, and you have to use heat to break down the bond before using the driver.

http://www.brownells.com
Old April 29, 2005, 03:56 PM   #5
Dave Sample

I have that screwdriver tip. I use it a lot but I have never been able to get staked on bushings out with it. I guess you need more talent than I have. That tool tip is nice to have in any event but it may not work for the slim grip bushings. Good luck in finding a screwdriver tip that will work.
Old April 29, 2005, 04:35 PM   #6
Wildalaska

Use the special bushing bit

WildortakeittoagunsmithAlaska
Old April 30, 2005, 11:34 AM   #7
Dave Sample

The Wild One would know. I don't do "Slim Grips". My clients are all big ugly men and beautiful women. With big hands! "The two fisted 1911's from Captain Eagle"............................................
Old April 30, 2005, 03:23 PM   #8
Wildalaska

I hate slim grips! Thats what bushing wrenches are for, to take the slim grips off of Colt Gunsites

WildtheironlyflawAlaska
Old April 30, 2005, 03:58 PM   #9
azrael

Ahhh Wild or Dave,
Colt's now come with "slim grips" for guys with small "girley" but very strong hands?? Not that I need to know or anything, but it would give Colt a little bit of a nod with certain handgun buyer's that suffer from this affliction

DavepawsB

GOT GOBLIN?

"There is no love in your violence"
Kakihara (Ichi the Killer)
Old May 1, 2005, 09:14 AM   #10
Billy Sparks

Hey the grips on the Colt Gunsite are the only grips I have not replaced. Does this mean there is a big box of taken off Gunsite grips in Alaska??? If so let me know.
Old May 1, 2005, 12:13 PM   #11
Dave Sample

Due to my warped sense of humor, I will be smart for a change and let this slim grip thing die a natural death here. I do not dislike them at all. I Love them! I just don't install slim grips on 1911's or hang flashlights off the front of them. Is that being old fashioned ,or what?
Old May 1, 2005, 12:36 PM   #12
Wildalaska

Flashlights on 1911s make me shudder...

Billy, unofrtunately, they all keep their "spare" grips...you got small hands?

WildifirecallthegunsitecommandershaveregulargripsAlaska
Old May 1, 2005, 01:52 PM   #13
Billy Sparks

I don't so much have small hands as that with full size grips it pressess into a tendon on my right hand and makes my hand tremor. With slim grips I don't have that problem. Aggressize checkering on a grip will cause the same problem therefore I usually like smooth grips. The ones on the full size Gunsite are the only slim checkered grips that I like. The ones on the Commander Gunsite have already been replaced with smooth slim grips.
Old May 1, 2005, 02:36 PM   #14
Dave Sample

I want Billy to have comfortable grips! To be a shooter, you must shoot a lot! And if you want a flashlight on the end of it, that is OK with me, too! Happy people are nice people, right, Wild man?
Old May 2, 2005, 12:49 AM   #15
Wildalaska

Im the one that does the happy dance!

Me friend Billy must be happy, he keeps calllin me

PS to anyone who wants a flashligh mount on their 1911...I wont shudder in your presence...Ill just go back to my office, grab a series 70, drop in the fetal position and cuddle it...

WildpsychoAlaska
Old May 2, 2005, 11:43 PM   #16
Dave Sample

I was looking at an old '70 series Colt 1911 today that I am doing a little work on after it was butchered by a smith somewhere in the dark regions. Had to have the feed ramp welded up, a thing I hate to have done and re cut. Installed an Ed Brown B-Tail in the butchered cut and got lucky and made it work OK. Re crowned the '70 series Colt stock barrel and installed a NM busahing and new link and pin. Put some neat Caspian Sights on it with a diamond shaped ghost ring Bo-Mar type rear and a fiber optic green front dot, and I am begining to like the darn thing! It rattles and I am not going to take the rails down or pinch the slide because the owner does not need it for Bullseye. It is just for fun. They were a nice gun sometimes, huh? It is almost ready to be re finished.

Oh yes. He carries his Surefire in his pocket, like I do!
Old May 3, 2005, 01:21 AM   #17
Wildalaska

Why didnt ya drop a steel feed ramp in save the cost of welding?

WildtechtalkAlaska