The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 21, 2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Doodlebugger45

Do they have bounties on coyotes where you live?

Just curious. My business partner and I were trying to remember if there were any bounty programs currently in effect in our county for coyotes. As best as we can remember there isn't right now. The last time I heard of one was about 5 years ago in the neighboring county when they would pay you $20 for a coyote skull. The "experts" say that the bounty programs don't do all that much in reducing the populations, but I thought it was kind of nice to get $20 for something you would do anyway.

I was just wondering how common those bounty programs are elsewhere.
Old July 21, 2009, 04:03 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not in florida but they are open season year around.
Brent
Old July 21, 2009, 04:10 PM   #3
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. No Coyote bounty here. We do get bounties from time to time for various animals.
Old July 22, 2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Foxrr

Yep, coyotes bit thin on the ground in Oz. They have a bounty on foxes in Victoria I think. 10 bucks a pair of ears?? Back in the '80s you could get $30 for a quality fox pelt. Thanks PETA!:barf:
Old July 22, 2009, 08:26 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

No Coyote bounty here in my part of Missouri, but the town I grew up in (Hopkinton RI) had a bounty on 'possums. I think I used to get a nickle a nose and the lady at the town hall would give me another nickle to throw them away for her.
As a kid, it was pretty good money. I do not know if they still do it, but could you imagine how many 'possum nose's you would have to turn in just to collect enough to go to the movies today.
Old July 22, 2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If there's a county bounty it would be paid at the county clerk's office. They're the ones to ask.

Some 40+ years ago there was a $2 bounty on foxes in Dewitt County, Texas, but that ended.

Around 1918-ish, there was a population explosion of jackrabbits in the Texas Panhandle. Bounties of 5ยข each were paid. One of the gun writers mentioned it in his column, years ago, and I recall my mother's talking of it.
Old July 22, 2009, 10:09 AM   #7
wyobohunter

I wish

But, same as Hogdogs, open year round.
Old July 22, 2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Cope's Dist

No Bounty in OHIO

No daily bag limit on Coyotes in Ohio though, which is a good thing. We are seeing an unbelievable increase in their numbers in our county alone. (NW OH)

www.copesdistributing.com
Old July 24, 2009, 07:22 AM   #9
JustKev55

Bounties

Maine had a bounty on porcupine but that was many years ago. There's no closed season on coyotes or porcupines now but porcupines are safe from me as long as my wife is along.....she thinks they're cute. I think they're dead if I get a chance to pull the trigger.
Old July 25, 2009, 07:13 PM   #10
Ryanfromcanada

Maine had a bounty on porcupine but that was many years ago. There's no closed season on coyotes or porcupines now but porcupines are safe from me as long as my wife is along.....she thinks they're cute. I think they're dead if I get a chance to pull the trigger.

amen
Old July 25, 2009, 07:26 PM   #11
freakshow10mm

No closed season in Upper MI. No bounty. Most of us kill on site. I've pulled over and chased a coyote in the woods with my pistol just to kill it.
Old July 25, 2009, 07:28 PM   #12
Daryl

Nope. No bounty here. Year 'round season, and plenty of folks to shoot 'em.

Daryl
Old July 25, 2009, 07:28 PM   #13
W. C. Quantrill

We have a bunch of 2 legged coyotes that ought to have bounties put on them.
Old July 26, 2009, 04:55 AM   #14
wyobohunter

^ us too

Most of them migrate from California for a couple weeks every year

Actually, as the saying goes, "It's tourist season; fleece and release".
Old July 26, 2009, 11:03 AM   #15
Fat White Boy

No bounty on them here in Kollyfornia but it is open season. The problem is the coyotes being as wiley as they are, have figured out that is against the law to discharge a firearm within the city limits. There are more and more of them that have become urbanized. Also, the black bears in the foothills have discovered that people have swimming pools and jacuzzi's in their back yards. Wildlife meets Suzy Homemaker and Johnny Wild Animals Have Rights, Too. Same with mountain lions. I think a lot of them will wish they hadn't signed all those ant-hunting petitions a few years ago......
Old July 28, 2009, 10:48 AM   #16
Harleyfixer

None here in Alabama although we need one. Heck we can't even shoot them at night. They did have one when I lived in Idaho but I don't know if it still exists.
Old July 28, 2009, 05:38 PM   #17
cornbush

Dont think there is one here from a gov agency, but often the wool growers association or the cattlemans association here and in Idaho will have one.
Old July 28, 2009, 06:18 PM   #18
Doodlebugger45

Yeah, I grew up in central Utah and it was the sheep association that paid the bounty. I just took it for granted growing up that every coyote you shot was a few dollars in your pocket. But back then they also had a very substantial bounty on mountain lions as well. Course, it actually took some effort to hunt a lion so we never got to cash in on that when we were herding cows.
Old July 28, 2009, 06:46 PM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The closest I came to a bounty was to show a farmer a sack of sparrow heads and he would buy me a "treasure chest" of bb's next time in town... I had me a supply that would make some hardware store shelves look bare!
Brent
Old July 28, 2009, 06:50 PM   #20
stevelyn

Nope, no bounties. Even though Alaska considers them to be an invasive species, they are regulated and managed as furbearers.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 28, 2009, 10:26 PM   #21
LanceOregon

The Predator Defense Institute is located where I live. They are lobbying hard to ban the hunting of cougars, wolves, coyotes, bears, and bobcats.

No limits here yet on hunting coyotes. But they are trying to change that here in Oregon, and across the rest of the USA. See:

http://www.predatordefense.org/about.htm

Here is a photo of their volunteers trying to save a Coyote injured in a leg trap:

Old July 30, 2009, 10:41 AM   #22
Hawg

No bounty and you can't hunt coyote except during an open hunting season for any game animal or bird, using only the firearms, ammunition, primitive weapons or archery equipment legal for use during that open season. Landowners or leaseholders can hunt them at night with or without a light but ammo is limited to nothing larger than a .22 rimfire or #6 shot shells.
Old July 30, 2009, 06:14 PM   #23
stevelyn

Quote:
The Predator Defense Institute is located where I live. They are lobbying hard to ban the hunting of cougars, wolves, coyotes, bears, and bobcats.

No limits here yet on hunting coyotes. But they are trying to change that here in Oregon, and across the rest of the USA. See:

http://www.predatordefense.org/about.htm

Here is a photo of their volunteers trying to save a Coyote injured in a leg trap:

After looking at the picture and the website, all I can hear is Cartman's voice in my head.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 30, 2009, 06:21 PM   #24
Huntergirl

Fremont County has a winter bounty on coyotes every year, till the money runs out. Needless to say, songdogs tend to favor areas outlying ranches and farmland, so unless you got land out here, you won't see many. Sorry, no free lunches, boyz...
By the way, the bounties are not paid at the county Clerks office, but at 2 sporting goods stores in the area.

Last edited by Huntergirl; July 30, 2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: add
Old July 30, 2009, 06:25 PM   #25
rantingredneck

No bounty in NC, but open season year round.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)