The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 1, 2000, 11:47 PM   #1
Ned Roundtree

Combat Handguns does it again. Great article on new stainless 92 Rossi,stainless Octagon barrel in 44-40, 45LC and .357 mag. The rifle has 24 1/4" barrel while the short rifle and saddle ring carbine have 20" barrels. Sure is pretty in stainless and octagon barrel!!
Old March 2, 2000, 10:03 AM   #2
Joe West

I just got three stainless '92 Short Rifles in from Navy Arms as Mule Camp prizes and I was stunned! The wood, the sights, and the fit and finish is absolutely great. These are a lot nicer than I would have expected. They look and feel fantastic. I'm going to check one out in detail today.
Joe West
Old March 2, 2000, 12:05 PM   #3
Gunslinger

I thought Rossi was no longer making the model 92. I've wanted a stainless in .44-40 and .44 mag. for some time but gave up thinkig that they no longer built them.
Do they, and if so does anyone know where to look for one?

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old March 2, 2000, 01:52 PM   #4
cnemeth

Try www.navyarms.com

I believe that Rossi only makes them for Navyarms now.

Chris Nemeth
Old March 2, 2000, 03:42 PM   #5
Ned Roundtree

I think Chris is right. They are under contract with Navy Arms. NA ships American walnut to them so the cheap Brazilian wood is no longer used on the new models.
Old March 2, 2000, 05:12 PM   #6
Gunslinger

Great! I knew Navy Arms was offering the '92 but could not get confirmation if they were being produced by Rossi. The only ones I've seen offered by NA have been blued, brass or cased. Are they now offering them in stainless?

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old March 3, 2000, 11:30 AM   #7
Joe West

The stainless model is new. I checked one out yesterday and it fed a variety of rounds right out of the box which is very rare for the usual Rossi. As soon as I can get one for a customer [back ordered already!] I'll do a full action job and put it on the range. I should be able to sell them locally with our top of the line action job included, trigger pull set to your specs, and etc. for around $600 or a little less before tax. Without action job should sell around $500. Paul Reed of Navy Arms told me he sent an original '92 sight down to Rossi so they could use it as the pattern. Good job.
Joe West

[This message has been edited by Joe West (edited March 04, 2000).]