The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 9, 2012, 07:25 PM   #26
StukaJU87

Yeah, I've seen those but I like my 1911's a little more traditional. I'm not a fan of skeletalized this and skeletalized that, or enlarged this and extended that. I do just fine with the basics design. Maybe if I shot competively, I could see a use for those mods or upgrades, but to me, their just gimmicks. I really don't see a need for giant beaver tails and giant thumb safeties. Maybe its because I have large hands? You'd think with large hands, I'd have to worry about slide bite and would appreciate a large beaver tail, but I've never been bitten and I've never had to worry about how I griped one. I just pick them up, aim, and fire. I don't doubt slide bite occurs but I think people worry about it too much. The 1911 has been around a lot longer than large beaver tails and I'm sure the number of people bitten is in the minority.

I'm sure everyone's thinking "then just but a 1911 chambered in 9mm and quite complaining." That was my first thought but my wife acted like she didn't like my 1911s. So that's why we were looking to see what else was out there. After looking and discussing it more, it turns out she likes the 1911 platform just fine. She just doesn't like it in .45. Lol so I guess that solves that problem AND gives me an excuse to buy another 1911. Yes!

Last edited by StukaJU87; December 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:17 AM   #27
Skans

I don't mind forward serrations, but I don't like trinket rails on handguns. I would never use a rail for anything, they add bulk, get in my way and don't fit smoothly into a holster (IMHO). I probably wouldn't use the serrations either, but they can look ok to me and don't get in my way.

Last edited by Skans; December 10, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:30 AM   #28
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I don't understand the complaint. Sounds like there's a lot more than rails and serrations that you don't like.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:05 PM   #29
StukaJU87

Yeah it's true, I'm pretty "narrow minded" when it comes to pistols. Lol
Don't get me wrong, if you want that "stuff" an your pistol or have a use for it, then you should be able to have it. Im not saying there isnt a place for it. im just saying I dont want near any of my pistols. Just as you are able to buy it with a nicknack rack, I should be able to buy it unaltered from its intended purpose. A pistol is a gun, its not something you hang "stuff" off of. You want to hang stuff? Buy a hook. You need a place to hang it? Buy a key chain.

I just don't understand why people have to try and fix things that aren't broken. I understand companies need to make money to stay in business and they're always looking for some gimmick to outsell a competitor. Also, I understand its easier to modify something that already exists rather than create something new. If you make a quality product for a fair price, people will buy it, you shouldn't have to use gimmicks to sell your product. I know what the manufacturers are doing. They focus more on profit than the quality, or usefulness of their product. They know if they slap this on or cut that out, which costs then next to nothing, that can charge more for the same item, increasing their profits. So many of use have been brainwashed by Hollywood and television that we believe any thing we see and can't think for ourselves anymore. This sheep mentality is what manufacturers are looking for. They know they can slap whatever label they want on an otherwise useless concept, and there will be people gullible enough to buy into it.

Good example of why not to buy into aftermarket tacticool junk. I went to LGS a few months ago and there was a "kid" trying to sell his Ak variant. His rifle had every conceivable doo-dad money could buy. I think his goal was to try and make it look as much like an AR15 as he could. He had a hard rifle case and a pile of steel mags to go with it. The clerk took one look at it and told him "I'm not interested in it." When the kid asked why, the clerk told him, "I can't sell it with all that junk on it." The kid preceded to tell the clerk how much money each attachment cost, and the clerk basically told him that it would cost him more to return it to "stock" condition, then what he could sell it for. So in short, this kid probably bought a WASR 10, (not sure, cuz I didn't get to look at it that close), for a few bucks then spent well over that for all his "upgrades" and ended up with a rifle that was worth less than when he started. But because he spent at least twice as much when he was finished, he thought he should get twice as much as what a new "unaltered" one goes for.

Tacticool doesn't make you tactical. Slapping the word tactical on something doesn't make you tactical. Training makes you tactical. There's no substitution for training. There's no gimmick you can buy that will make you as good as your heroes from movies and tv.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:41 PM   #30
Skans

Quote:
I just don't understand why people have to try and fix things that aren't broken.
For two reasons, really: 1) because some people are just tinkerers and 2) because people like certain things they own to be unique or "customized" in some fashion.

I have an LC9 and I can tell you there are a couple of things I'd change on it if I could find or make the right parts. I'd like for someone to develop a laser sight that replaces the loaded chamber indicator, or at least come up with some that have witty personalized "themes" to them - maybe just carve "SKANS" in it.

People are always replacing the doo-dads on their 1911's with custom parts, why not the LC9?