The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 11, 2009, 04:21 PM   #1
ericharris

Legality question

Can any tell me the legality of a kevlar vest. I live in Pittsburgh, PA if that helps at all. And if they are in fact illegal how can I obtain one? Is there a stamp or permit or something I need to buy?

Thanks,
Ric
Old June 11, 2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And if they are in fact illegal how can I obtain one?
I'm gonna hope you meant to say "If they are in fact LEGAL?
Old June 11, 2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Jofaba

Did you stop at that sentence or did you read the following? He's saying if it's illegal for Joe Shmoe off the street to own one, what legal hoops does he have to jump through. He worded it wrong but his next sentence mentions stamp taxes etc.

Anyway, do you really feel the need for a kevlar vest? You're not 50 cent. You can't be in a gang or you wouldn't care about rolling legal gear. Maybe you should just move to a better neighborhood?
Old June 11, 2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
Anyway, do you really feel the need for a kevlar vest?
Several firearm instructors, including our fellow TFL member Massad Ayoob, recommend having a ballistic vest as part of your home defense gear (gun, flashlight, cellphone, etc.).

NRA Life Member
Old June 11, 2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Jofaba

Interesting, I can actually see the merit in that for a sweep senario because the bad guy very well may shoot at you. Never even thought of that. If you've got a family (or really care about your life) that actually is a really good idea. It's like putting a helmet on before getting onto a motorcycle. Safety precaution against a very real possibility of injury.

But he did say that he was from Pittsburgh as if that would make us understand his need, so I imagine we're going to find out that it's for wearing around town.
Old June 11, 2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Did you stop at that sentence or did you read the following? He's saying if it's illegal for Joe Shmoe off the street to own one, what legal hoops does he have to jump through. He worded it wrong but his next sentence mentions stamp taxes etc.
That doesn't follow logically to me. If they can be acquired via tax stamp or some other method LEGALLY then they are not "illegal", by most peoples thinking.

If they are LEGAL, you may need a tax stamp to acquire one. If they are illegal then you need a guy in a trench coat in a back alley.
Old June 11, 2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Jofaba

I think that it was just poor wording on his behalf. If I own a suppressed gun, it's illegal. If you've got the stamp, it's legal.

I just went to the range the other day with two handguns and a hundred rounds of ammo. On my scooter. The only thing between me and federal weapon charges was a little piece of paper that I paid $35 to the state for.

The concept of "illegal" and "legal" could easily have been befuddled. He obviously meant that if you cant walk into Walmart and buy a kevlar vest, what steps are required to legally obtain one.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:09 PM   #8
B. Lahey

Did y'all notice this guy named himself Eric Harris? Guess I'm the only one who knows who that is...

Sorry if that's your real name, dude, but if it is you may want to consider a screen-name. When somebody registers with the name of a mass-murderer and starts asking crudely worded questions about body armor, that's beyond shady.
Old June 12, 2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
Guess I'm the only one who knows who that is...
Nope. But it still may be his real name. There are 5 people in my 50,000 resident city with the same name as me, 3 with the Jr. at the end. One even has a sister with the same name as my sister. I even know a guy named Ted Bundy.

NRA Life Member
Old June 12, 2009, 08:17 PM   #10
B. Lahey

It probably is his name and I'm just an ass. If so, I am sorry.
Old June 12, 2009, 09:37 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Does anyone want to actually answer the question?

AFAIK, it is legal for ordinary citizens to buy body armor. Cost depends on the extent of coverage and the threat level.

Check local and state law, though. Some states ban possession of body armor by convicted felons or its use in commission of a crime. I have heard, but not confirmed, that a few cities ban it on the usual grounds that civilians should never be allowed to defend themselves. This is known as the "if you are killed, call the police" theory of protect and serve.

Jim
Old June 12, 2009, 10:04 PM   #12
Thermodyne

In general, they are legal in every state but Connecticut. Best way to purchase one is to have some on in Kuwait or Israel buy one for you and ship it here. No restrictions on shipping except for Conn. If you a felon and get caught with one, it is the same as having a weapon. A true ceramic plated vest with arm and groin protection will set you back over a grand. And take some time to get used to the weight. Used police vests can be had for $300 bucks. And other than not breathing in hot weather are very light, but also have limited stopping ability.
Old June 17, 2009, 10:21 PM   #13
tuscani11b

You can get a good plate carier for under 200 bucks, and then youl just need 1 or 2 sapi plates which i dont recall the exact price but i do remember seeing them in the 3-500 range