The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2001, 10:19 PM   #1
2cats

. . . and why?

Many thanks,

Glock 19
Glock 17
Colt Police Positive .38 Special
Smith & Wesson Model 41
Browning Hi-Power Standard (9mm)
Old January 29, 2001, 12:28 AM   #2
RiverRider

Shooting Chrony. Low price, compact. Adequate for my purposes.
Old January 29, 2001, 01:28 AM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Oehler 43 with the third screen. Rugged, accurate. Not the least expensive, but it is what the crime labs around here use, and they've spend a LOT of money determining what gives them the best results.

I've had it for about six years, and I have only two regrets about getting the Oehler:

1. I didn't get it years sooner.

2. I didn't buy the accessory printer on my original purchase.

Best,
Johnny
MOLON LABE!
Old January 29, 2001, 02:08 AM   #4
jsn

I like the shooting chrony for the same reasons RiverRider gave, My F-1 worked good enough for me untill I center punched it with a 300grHP out of my 45-70 contender about a month ago,not much left of it or the tri-pod. My new Beta-master(2 weeks old) is much nicer and seems to be much easier to use,my first and only trip out with it I set it up 3 seperate times shooting .22 .223 357max over it with only 3 out of 60 total shots fired giving me an error, based on my old data and book data it seems to be accurate and the 6 seperate strings and 60 shot memory is nice.no matter what you buy DON'T GET IN A HURRY USING IT that's what cost me my F-1.

John
Old January 29, 2001, 08:26 AM   #5
kerth

Have to agree with Johnny Guest, except I did get the printer. Used a shooting croney for years till I killed it (friends rifle had those HIGH see through mounts). The Oehler has a larger flight window and does a better job with shotguns an pellet guns too. A chronograph is one of life's necessities for me, most work fine but the extra cost and bulk of the 43 is worth it to me. Just my opinion of course.
Old January 29, 2001, 09:33 AM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Shooting chrony F-1. I would love to have the Oehler, but the budget said F-1. I have no regrets it does what I need it to do.
Old January 29, 2001, 11:17 AM   #7
Poodleshooter

I'll be getting an F-1 soon. I killed my dad's a few years back with a well aimed X-Bullet shot from a carry handle scoped AR-15. I will be aiming FAR above the skyscreens with my next model!!
Old January 29, 2001, 12:17 PM   #8
KP95DAO

Which Chrony and why?

I have used a Shooting Chrony for so long I don't remember when I got it. It had to be one of the first. I have sent mine back twice. The first time because I let a friend shoot over it, and the second time because I shot too low and while I didn't actually shoot the chrony the metal fragments from my 3/8" deflector did hit it wiping out the screen. That was about eight years ago and it is still going strong. Mine sits in a box with the deflector at a 45 degree angle in front, and sides going up about 14 inches with plastic laminated typing paper over the top to provide a brighter and more even light to the eyes. There is a wood barrier in front of the paper to protect the paper from the muzzle blasts.
Old January 29, 2001, 12:30 PM   #9
Halo

I just bought a Shooting Chrony Alpha. Haven't tried it out yet.
Old January 29, 2001, 01:46 PM   #10
goob

Currently using a Pact Model 1, and can't find much to complain about w/ the exception of the fragile sky screen setup. Cheap enough to replace, but a pain in the butt when you're in the middle of a shoot and the wind catches your screens and breaks one.
Old January 29, 2001, 02:32 PM   #11
Gewehr98

Shooting Chrony.

It's a bit flaky, though, and they're serious about being it being at least 15 feet away from the muzzle, otherwise you'll get all sorts of weird readings from the muzzle blast. I now carry a tape measure with it as a matter of practise. I haven't shot a hole through mine (yet). It does go through batteries pretty quick, but then, I run 10-round strings through it, and usually have several calibers of handloads to test on chronograph day...