The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2014, 06:46 PM   #26
357 Python

I carry the Beretta 92FS when at work. Mine is issued to me when I get there. We have had them for well over 10 years. $650 for one is not bad for a new one. The DA/SA trigger does not bother me at all. I normally qualify 279-285 out of 300 on the range. We shoot 1 yard out to 25 yards.
Old February 25, 2014, 09:06 PM   #27
LockedBreech

What load do they issue you, Python? I like the 124-grain Gold Dot standard pressure in mine.
Old February 26, 2014, 05:50 PM   #28
357 Python

We unfortunately are currently issued the 115 Gr. FMJ round but have been told by the IG that hollowpoints are authorized for DACP.
Old February 26, 2014, 08:00 PM   #29
Beentown71

CDNN has some Berettas on sale right now.
Old February 27, 2014, 02:34 PM   #30
Martowski

$499 for a brand new Italian 92fs at CDNN... that's a good price. I love that company... have made many, many purchases from them in the past.
Old February 27, 2014, 10:34 PM   #31
Beentown71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martowski View Post
$499 for a brand new Italian 92fs at CDNN... that's a good price. I love that company... have made many, many purchases from them in the past.
Me too. They are one of my "go-too's" when I have some money burning a hole...
Old February 27, 2014, 11:40 PM   #32
kcub

Do Seals sometimes use Berettas? In the (very good) movie Lone Survivor based on a true story one Seal dies very bravely with a Beretta locked back and empty having expended all his ammo killing Taliban. Was that a Hollywood liberty?
Old February 27, 2014, 11:47 PM   #33
Dragline45

Quote:
Do Seals sometimes use Berettas? In the (very good) movie Lone Survivor based on a true story one Seal dies very bravely with a Beretta locked back and empty having expended all his ammo killing Taliban. Was that a Hollywood liberty?
I read the book a couple years back and if I remember correctly they were using Sig 229's. They mentioned it specifically in that scene, I think it was Danny, when they went back to retrieve the body they found him with his gun empty which they said was a 229, slide locked back, and empty mags by his side. It was not all hollywood liberty, he was shot in the head and was unable to move, but despite his injuries he fought until he ran his gun empty and was finally killed by the enemy forces.

On another note, a year after Luttrell was back some punks shot his dog in his front yard and Luttrell chased them down while on the phone with a 911 operator. During the call he tells the operator he has two Beretta 9mm pistols and there will probably be a shootout when he catches up to them. The sad thing is the dogs name was DASY and each letter stood for one of his fallen teammates, the dog was meant to help him with his PTSD. You can find the actual 911 call on youtube.

Last edited by Dragline45; February 27, 2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old February 28, 2014, 12:18 AM   #34
LockedBreech

Lone Survivor was pretty darn faithful to the very good book. Beretta being my favorite pistol and that story being incredibly moving, that scene you're talking about put a lump in my throat.
Old February 28, 2014, 12:21 AM   #35
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Do Seals sometimes use Berettas?
They have more lattitude than the average soldier in terms of what weapons they choose, but according to an acquaintance of mine who used to work support for one of the teams, some of them just go with whatever is issued which is sometimes the Beretta M9.
Old February 28, 2014, 12:13 PM   #36
chuckh

Brand new to this forum, I hope I am not hijacking this thread.
I have a brand new 92fs and have fired aprox 120 rounds through it, I seem to have a mis feeding issue.
Out of a 10 rnd mag, maybe 3 times per mag the round doesn't properly feed.
It gets stuck at an angle. I pull the slide back about an inch and let got home and that feeds the round into the chamber..
My glock is flawless...
I did NOT clean the weapon before I took it to the range for the first time..
Ideas?
Old February 28, 2014, 01:38 PM   #37
Gats Italian

Thoroughly clean the weapon after field stripping. There is sometimes residual lube dried up from final assembly where the weapon is machine cycled to "pre-break it in" for you. Any gunk needs to be out.

Lubricant should then be applied in accordance to the manual.

If you still having trouble, try to determine if one of the mags is at fault.

If all else fails, "brand new" Berettas have a warranty on them for manufacturing defects.
Old February 28, 2014, 01:42 PM   #38
chuckh

Thanks...
I haven't been in the habit of cleaning a brand new weapon out of the box.. too excited to take it for a dance at the range.
Will clean it and try it out at the range tomorrow.
Old February 28, 2014, 01:53 PM   #39
Sweet Shooter

Also make sure you use good ammo, before you go looking for problems with the Beretta. They usually cycle all ammo but if you got a batch of poor remanufactured stuff... who knows?
-SS-
Old February 28, 2014, 09:42 PM   #40
power5

Cleaned and oiled mine out of the box. Not heard of many people preferring to not clean a gun first. My 92 has fired any ammo I choose. Hot, cold, hp, fmj, steel, aluminum, lead nose, and anything else with zero problems in over 7000 rounds.

Clean the gun and oil it properly.
Old February 28, 2014, 11:07 PM   #41
LockedBreech

chuckh, the stuff on factory-new firearms is not lubricant, and can often serve to gunk the weapon up. Beretta can also have fairly tight tolerances for a production service weapon. Always thoroughly clean and lubricate any firearm and test it with quality ammo before worrying.
Old March 1, 2014, 10:07 PM   #42
NotMeNotYou

92's

I have 2 police buy-backs. One 92F Completely rebuilt by Len, Head Gunsmith at Beretta USA, the other an as new Florida Highway Patrol 92FS. These guns WILL NOT JAM.And I have tried my best to make them...

Not cleaning & oiling ANY piece is new to me. I think I'll stick to my old ways.

"A Pistol is for fighting your way to a Real gun" Uncle Donald USMC 1948-1954
Old March 2, 2014, 02:07 AM   #43
Clark

In Dec 2007 I ordered some Italian Police surplus Beretta 92S 9mm handguns for $240 each from Century Arms.
They take an odd magazine, and Century ran out of them. They would sell the last few pistols real cheap without mags.
I figured out that 92FS mags would work, if I cut a magazine release slot. I convinced the other engineers in the cafeteria to buy these and I would mod the mags for them. All they had to do was pick up the pistols at the kitchen FFL.
When I went to mod the mags, I found out the Mec-Gar magazines were made of hardened steel. I had to cut slots with a carbide tool in the mill.
It was extra work, but we got er done.
Then we bought M12 holsters and now we feel like real soldiers. All we need to do now is buy some M4 rifles and digital camo clothes

Same image as link below.
Notice the different in the mag release buttons from the 92S and 92FS?
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 2, 2014, 03:08 AM   #44
NotMeNotYou

F?FS?S?

Clark-- Ok, now I'm confused. In the late '90's I got a New Orleans PD(early) 92F from a wholesaler in Ill.The springs were done so I started looking for replacements. the guy on the phone at Beretta USA(turned out he was the head gunsmith) said yes they had a spring kit for $15.00 & would be happy to install it for $25.00 parts & labor...Sounded good to me, I sent it off. Checked politely on it's status periodically, 9 months later it came back with a 4 page invoice of replaced parts, including an ENTIRE slide assembly. At the bottom of the last page was "Amount Due = No charge". (Talk about customer service !)Len, The smith who worked on it, said before replacing the slide he tried to modify the original by milling a slot along the left underside. He said that as far as he knew, this slot was the only difference between a 92F & 92FS. While I waited for Len to finish I picked up an as new Florida Highway Patrol 92FS buyback. Both pistols look like the upper pic you posted, with the mag release in the traditional spot on the frame behind the trigger guard. The pistol in the lower pis on your post is something I have not seen before. For what it's worth, both my 92's are US made, only the Mags are Italian. Anyone who has any thoughts that might clear up my confusion, Please feel free to post response(s). Thanks.JMM
Old March 2, 2014, 07:35 AM   #45
NotMeNotYou

Not So Ignorant Anymore

Clark-- O.K., now I get it. 1)92 2)92S 3)92F 4)92FS/M9 5)M9A1. I guess I have 1 US made model 92F converted by Beretta USA to a model92FS & 1 US made model 92FS. Seems there's more differences between an F & an FS than just that slot milled into the left underside of the slide. At least the slide shouldn't hit me in the face in the event of failure.
I am suitably embarrassed, but I do have the ability to learn.
Old March 2, 2014, 07:42 AM   #46
kcub

I've always preferred the compact 92. I'm surprised the army didn't go with it instead.
Old March 2, 2014, 08:56 AM   #47
chuckh

Quote:
I have 2 police buy-backs. One 92F Completely rebuilt by Len, Head Gunsmith at Beretta USA, the other an as new Florida Highway Patrol 92FS. These guns WILL NOT JAM.And I have tried my best to make them...

Not cleaning & oiling ANY piece is new to me. I think I'll stick to my old ways
Reread what I posted...
I never said I don't clean and oil my weapons.
What I said was that I didn't clean and oil the 92 right out of the box.
Some of the replies make perfect sense about new weapons not really having a lubricant as much as more of a preservative.
Weapon was cleaned and oiled yesterday and am excited to try it out today at the range.
Hopefully this resolve my feeding problems...
Old March 2, 2014, 11:59 AM   #48
saleen322

I have a 92fs INOX. It is very reliable and the stock barrel is decently accurate for a service pistol. The other nice thing about them is there are a lot of accessories available because of the M9 military model and the total number of 92s and M9s sold.
Old March 2, 2014, 12:47 PM   #49
chuckh

Quote:
I have a brand new 92fs and have fired aprox 120 rounds through it, I seem to have a mis feeding issue.
It gets stuck at an angle. I pull the slide back about an inch and let got home and that feeds the round into the chamber..
My glock is flawless...
I did NOT clean the weapon before I took it to the range for the first time..
Ideas?
UPDATE:
Lesson learned...
ALWAYS clean a new pistol out of the box before shooting.
I just fired 120 rounds PMC 115 grain and 50 rounds American Eagle 147 grain...
Not a single mis-feed...worked flawlessly.....
I am a happy camper... LOL
Old March 2, 2014, 01:01 PM   #50
Dragline45

Quote:
Beretta 10rd mags are garbage. I live in Massachusetts so we also have the high cap ban, but it is absolutely in your best interest to try to find 15rd preban mags. If you cant find them, maybe try mecgar 10rd mags.

The 10rd mags that came with my gun are extremely stiff, and the rounds will sometimes nosedive and not feed. I found three 15rd mags and haven't experienced a single problem at all. Even trying to unload the 10rd mags by hand half the time the rounds wont come out and the case rims just jam up on the feed lips and require a smack on the magazine for them to free up. I had four 10rd mags and every single one did this.

Basically what Beretta did was instead of just adding a spacer on the bottom of the 10rd mags to keep them in the same configuration as the 15rd, they added a dimple up the length of the magazine body turning the top 2/3's of the magazine basically into a single stack. As a result, the magazines suck are extremely stiff and don't feed right.