The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 14, 2012, 03:14 PM   #1
minevan

Laws on owning handguns

Posted this under different category as well but then saw this one and thought it might belong here.

I started a petition on the white house website to set the age for owning handguns to 18 for all states. I know that currently the states decide but here in NY it is 21. I hate this becasue i will be turning 18 in december and I dont want to have to wait 3 more years to obtain my permit. Also the Federal governemnt prevents FFL dealers from selling handguns to anyone under 21. I need to get the 150 signatures so it will be displayed on their site and i feel this Forum is a great way for gun owners to work together to defend our second ammendment and to gain invaluable knowledge from other gun owners. here is the link. Please take time to check it out. This means a lot to me as I am a strong believer in the 2nd Ammendment and a proud member of the NRA.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...tates/fpTQztNl
Old November 14, 2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Stressfire

IIRC, unless barred by the state, Federal law already allows for 18 year olds to own handguns, just not able to purchase through an FFL
Old November 14, 2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Minevan, I deleted the thread you started in the General Discussion forum. This (L&CR) is the better forum to discuss issues and action.

Also, you might want to remember that we don't clutter up the board with duplicate posts and threads.

Now, on to the subject at hand.

Back in Sept. of 2010, the NRA filed two lawsuits in Texas to address this very issue. These cases are not going well - You can find links in the 2A Cases thread that is stickied near the top of this forum. They are cases number 27 and 28.

The NRA has a problem (though we are seeing less of this, of late, as their attorneys learn) with these cases. Primarily, the right to keep and bear outside the home has not been established by the judiciary (regardless of what we think). Until that happens, cases like this will fail and worse, possibly cause bad case-law/rulings to become precedent.

In order for your petition to have any meaning, certain portions of 18 USC 922 must be overturned by the courts or modified by the legislature. Under current precedence, the law will not be overturned.
Old November 14, 2012, 03:51 PM   #4
minevan

Thanks! Sorry about the duplicate posts. It wont happen again. I will check those out.
Old November 14, 2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Don H

Sorry but I have an adversion to getting the Feds even more involved in firearms ownership when I have serious doubts about the Constitutionality of much of their current involvement.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:07 PM   #6
mhuxtable

I know so many 18 year olds who can barely operate a car safely, let alone a handgun.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:11 PM   #7
RedBowTies88

But they can operate a AK or AR just fine?

Guys, this is what the fed is supposed to be for...protecting out constitutional rights! This guys is an ADULT yet he cannot enjoy the freedoms of other adults just a mere 3 years older. I for one find that insane.

You are either a legal adult or you are not. Everything should be legal (including cigarettes and alcohol) when you turn 18. That or raise the legal age of adults to 21!

I'm 24 BTW
Old November 15, 2012, 11:36 PM   #8
minevan

Thanks RedBowTies88. Unfortunatly i dont think that restrictions on guns especially handguns will ease up any time soon. Most likely it will get more strict. I wish I had the resources to get my voice out there and change this country but who listens to a 17 almost 18 year old kid. no one. Ive been shooting guns since i had the strength to hold one to my shoulder. Started out with a .22 then on to 20 gauge and now 12 gauge. Have shot several pistols with a friend(who is a police officer so it was all legal) and I loved it. I am very safe when it comes to guns. I follow all gun laws(even though i dont agree with a lot of them). ALWAYS KNOW YOUR TARGET AND BEYOND! There have been several times while out hunting i havent shot just because i want 100% sure it was safe. People who think guns kill people need to get our of the city and stop listening to the crap that they here from anti-gun people/groups.
Old November 16, 2012, 01:01 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Yes, its not really fair. Back when the voting age was lowered to 18, it was a political play, and that's really all it was. Some states did lower their drinking age to 18 (or 19), but the majority of those who did have since raised it back up to 21.

A large part of the argument for the 18 yr old vote was the draft. After all, if you were being drafted to go and possibly die for you country, you should have a say (vote), right?

BUT, the gun laws were not changed, and even though some drinking age laws were, they have since been changed back. ITs not fair, but it is a fact of life that you are considered adult enough for Uncle Sam to put a machine gun in your hands at age 18, but not adult enough for you to put a handgun (or a beer) in your own hands until you are 21.

There is a loophole, after a fashion, depending on which state you live in. Federal law does not allow under 21 purchase of a handgun from an FFL. It does not prohibit under 21 ownership. State law is the one that either alows or prohibits under 21 ownership. Some states allow purchase from a private party (and ownership) under 21, others do not.