The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 3, 2012, 09:27 PM   #51
Double Naught Spy

If you don't follow Stacy's monologue carefully, though he tries to cover for it, his use of pronouns (everyone is he, him, etc.) make things confusing. He notes his AR15, which was the officer's, but it sounds like it is Conner's if you don't listen closely.

Quote:
Can't tell from the photos but looks like the park is barely 100 yards from farthest end to farthest end and you could be right about it being feet instead of yards.
And given the concentration of photos and police activity, it looks like a large area of the event too place in the central area which isn't too far from all other areas.

Quote:
Even if it was only 165ft instead of yards, 165yds is still very doable with a 5" barreled 357 or a 45 auto if the shoot knows his gun, and has taken a few long shots before.
Right, we all know it can be done, but the question is if he actually did it. He claimed he did, but isn't panning out.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; August 3, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old August 4, 2012, 02:59 AM   #52
ClydeFrog

Pistols, rifles, Evan Marshall....

As a teen, my unkle(a WW2 veteran who served in the US Army Air Corps/USAF) explained to me that in combat, he packed a M-1 carbine over a 1911a1 .45acp. He was issued both weapons as a aircrew NCO(Staff Sgt/E-6).
My unkle said he considered a .45acp 1911a1 pistol or S&W model 10 .38spl revolver to work best at close range only; 0-20 yards. He carried a M-1 because he could engage enemy targets at extended ranges.

I also read a few magazine articles by gun writer & retired police officer; Evan Marshall(Detroit MI police department) where he advised if you know you will be in a gunfight or could be in a use of force incident to get a shotgun or rifle.
Old August 4, 2012, 07:07 AM   #53
rebs

The citizen needs to be recognized as the hero he is.

This is a classic example of a private citizen helping out a LEO in need. This would go a long way in helping to protect our second amendment rights if it made national news. But you won't see it there.
Old August 4, 2012, 10:08 AM   #54
bikerbill

I live in Travis County and had not heard about this shooting ... thanks for passing on the evidence once again that armed citizens can make a difference ... good on the citizen who aided the arriving officers and good on the police for praising his actions ...
Old August 4, 2012, 11:36 AM   #55
Archer 9505

Found It

Someone on another forum located this for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911holdover-1.jpg (52.3 KB, 80 views)
Old August 5, 2012, 01:35 PM   #56
Winchester_73

With a 5 in 357, evidently it was not a Python. Wow. Who would think someone could shoot like that without the greatest 357 ever made
Old August 5, 2012, 06:00 PM   #57
Nanuk

Quote:
With a 5 in 357, evidently it was not a Python. Wow. Who would think someone could shoot like that without the greatest 357 ever made

He did it was an N frame Smith and Wesson.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old August 6, 2012, 09:44 AM   #58
Archer 9505

More long range pistol shooting

Some long range pistol shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKFSN8Z9RnI
Old August 7, 2012, 10:10 AM   #59
doofus47

An engaged citizen who was prepared. It takes just one to make a convincing argument for an armed citizenry!
Old August 7, 2012, 11:13 PM   #60
ltc444

Some thoughts:

1. The civilian did better than most LEOs no matter than what the range.
2. He had to be a very cool customer to make the hit.
3. He should be commended

When I was shooting LR Pistol, I routinely made 100 meter shots on the old Canadian Bull targets. My best group was from a 4" trooper in 357mag. I shot single action from a sitting position braced against the wheel of a car. I placed 5 146 grain Speer JHP in the black spot on the target after 1 spotting round which hit the top of the target. I don't remember the exact load but I used WW296 with a heavy roll crimp. Hold over was approximately 24 inches.
Old August 8, 2012, 06:21 AM   #61
BlueTrain

I couldn't make hits like that at 165 feet with a rifle!
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 8, 2012, 06:43 AM   #62
shep854

Archer, thanks for posting that chart. I see some challenging (and possibly useful) fun at the range!!
Old August 8, 2012, 04:53 PM   #63
Rachen

Incredible story!!!

It made my day so much I was smiling the whole time. This is EXACTLY what the 2nd Amendment was written for, and this hero set one hell of an excellent example during that incident.

Now if major media outlets across the nation would report on it and bring some positive light on the gun culture? We really need some good reporting right now especially after all that madness this past few weeks.

On the subject of the shot? Yes it could be done, especially given the fact that it was a .357 Magnum.

Ed McGivern had hit up to 800 yards with a .44 Magnum revolver back in the 1950s. And I have hit targets from 100 to 200 yards away with my .44 LeMat. It is all about compensating for the drop during the shot.
Old August 22, 2013, 07:16 AM   #64
Bartholomew Roberts

Just an update to this thread. I came across this recent article detailing the gunfight: http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2013/08...ach-house.html

The article contains a detailed blow by blow as well as pictures from the different participant's perspective that I think will add a lot to our understanding of the fight.

I know one subject of discussion was the range involved... It turns out it was 169 FEET, not yards - though still an impressive shot at 56 yards
Old August 22, 2013, 08:49 AM   #65
Deaf Smith

Quote:
And a fine illustration of the principle that you can't know ahead of time what you will need to be able to do to solve the problem.
And that is the truth.

Sure we practice close range sudden encounter shooting a lot but you never know. Some nutjob with a rifle you see 50 yards away killing people may have to be stopped. Rare? Yes. Possible? Yes.

So make it your hobby to shoot, not just a necessity, and you will become a good all around shot (and that is what McGivern wrote about in his book. That's Ed McGivern of 'fast and fancy shooting'.

And Clyde,

My M1 Carbine is my 'go to' long gun. Yes I have AR, AK, and sharpshooter rifles but that Carbine, if I go prone, will do 100 yard head shots with Remington 110 SPs all day. Fine little gun.

But I can do chest shots at 100 yards with my Glocks if I also go prone.

Deaf
Old August 22, 2013, 10:30 AM   #66
Wreck-n-Crew

To make one shot like that is hard enough not being under pressure, but the likelihood he hit him more than once is really an accomplishment.

This is a "madman with a gun" story that ends better because of a citizen and I love them. To make it even better he was humble:

“I thought if I didn’t help this officer, he would have gotten the rest of us,”
Stacy said. But a hero? “I’m just an average working man,” Stacy said.
http://www.brownwoodtx.com/news/loca...9bb2963f4.html
Old August 22, 2013, 10:45 AM   #67
mehavey

As noted in the cired article:
Quote:
Vic Stacy [the civilian who stopped the bad guy with his Python] and Seargent Means were subsequently “no billed” by the Grand Jury.
Whay was this taken to the Grand Jury at all.
Is that standard process regardless of the obvious?
Old August 22, 2013, 11:14 AM   #68
zxcvbob

I think all homicides go to a grand jury in Texas; doesn't matter if it's obviously justified, or even righteous.

Last edited by zxcvbob; August 22, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old August 22, 2013, 11:59 AM   #69
RC20

First I am skeptical of all of it.

Second yes you can make some interesting shots, its also called lucky.

Years back my brother and I were at a shooting range with mud flats out beyond (they put the berms in latter to stop what I did as it was a water foul hunting area and people did get rounds zipping by them unintentional though in this case no one was out there).

A flock of geese was out a quarter of a mile. He didn't think I could come close so I picked a 30 or 40 degree angel and fired one off. I hit withing years.

Lucky, but that is also the way the Calvary did it in the old days was to walk rounds in based on the impact (and one reason the 45 caliber was chosen as it made a better splash as it were.
Old August 22, 2013, 12:44 PM   #70
MLeake

Skeptical of the measurements actually taken by the reporter?

Skeptical of the Grand Jury findings?

Or skeptical of the awards from the sheriff and Governor Perry?

Please specify your skepticism.
Old August 22, 2013, 12:58 PM   #71
OldMarksman
Staff

I do not doubt the ability to hit a person with a good revolver fired single action at 165 feet, particularly if it is possible to brace against something.

To put it in perspective, after a hard day of rapid fire shooting at multiple steel plates at 7 yards, the instructors decided to close out the session with a slow fire exercise at 50 yards.

Two of the students--a local policeman a and a ranked IDPA competitor from Texas--each accomplished the following:
  • one hit, two handed;
  • one hit, strong hand;
  • one hit, weak hand;
  • one hit, two hands, gun inverted;
  • one hit, strong hand, gun inverted;
  • one hit, weak hand, gun inverted.

No misses.

They were using large capacity service semi autos.

Bu-- a man's got to know his limitations. I missed six out of six using two hands.
Old August 22, 2013, 01:54 PM   #72
MLeake

I don't shoot handguns often at 50 yards, and should do so more often.

Even so, I can normally get more hits than misses on the silhouette.

Article said Stacy is a handgun hunter, so he probably does practice more at longer ranges than I do.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:20 PM   #73
SgtLumpy

Quote:
First I am skeptical of all of it.

Second yes you can make some interesting shots, its also called lucky.

I see small children making 50 yd pistol shots all the time at my range.

That is hardly any kind of "miraculous distance" for anyone with just minimal practice.

Sgt Lumpy
Old August 22, 2013, 08:33 PM   #74
Malamute

I concur with Sgt L's assesment.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old August 22, 2013, 08:52 PM   #75
FireForged

I am just wondering how in the heck he knew with any reasonable degree of certainty, what someone was planning to do 165 yards away.