The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 27, 2008, 11:59 PM   #1
Threefeathers

Folks are asking me what one thing I learned at LFI about shooting?

Simple. Dry fire until your fingers bleed.
Old October 28, 2008, 10:23 AM   #2
David Armstrong

If you'll wear batting gloves those fingers won't bleed nearly as easily.
Old October 28, 2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

Not me, but don't use a 41 Mag revolver for Stressfire - by the end of the day, that guy had his hands split down through the skin to the raw meat. :barf:

Worse than simple blisters and blood.

I shot a Glock 9mm.
Old October 30, 2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Stevie-Ray

How many rounds do you have to shoot?
Old October 30, 2008, 11:05 PM   #5
Threefeathers

You'll shoot 500 in drills at LFI. Dry fire the technique you learned the day before, say Chapman technique using High and Low kneeling, using one rapid mag change each time. Get snap caps and paint the mags you use for drills so only snap caps get into them.
I have 8 high caps per gun, and 5 10 rounders for drills. I keep 2 10 rounders loaded with snap caps and nothing else gets into those mags.
I've carefully purchased 8-10 high caps for every gun I have and every gun I might want to purchase in the future.
Old October 30, 2008, 11:54 PM   #6
Stevie-Ray

Wow, I think Glenn's got the right idea. Sounds like a 9mm kind of course.
Old October 31, 2008, 08:13 PM   #7
Threefeathers

Sort of funny, the first day I used a 357Sig P2K. I learned my lesson, Day's 2,3,4,5, a P2K in 9mm using WWB. I want to go 357 Sig as a carry round but don't think I'll shoot more than 50 rounds a day with it.
Old October 31, 2008, 09:00 PM   #8
HoraceHogsnort

Was anybody using a revolver?
Old October 31, 2008, 11:53 PM   #9
Threefeathers

Yes, Ayoob most of the time and 2 other fellows part of the time. You can use a different weapon each day if you want. I actually used a Sig 229 in 357& sig for one stage the second day.
Old November 2, 2008, 05:01 AM   #10
Brit

Shooting?

Bernie, a friend, asked me about going to Massab Ayoob's Stress Fire, back in(1992?) I told him what I thought was true, not a course to teach more than I had already taught him, reference marksmanship, but he will enjoy it.

He came back quite surprised, shooting? he was in the top 5 shooters, right from the start, but enjoyed the war stories, the Cops he met, and the law pertaining to gun fights (Keep quiet till you are lawyered up? Yes I preached that as well!) the Glock 17 he took never missed a beat, he did see people with guns still in the box! They had problems.
Old November 2, 2008, 10:12 AM   #11
Threefeathers

Actually once you have taken the course he advises you not to keep quiet until you lawyare up. He has a very specific set of satements you say and then reslectively tell the police you won't make statements unill yout lawyer's are there.
But, unless you take and pass the course or a similiar one that is specific for a shooting then it is best to clam up.
Old November 2, 2008, 03:09 PM   #12
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
...Sounds like a 9mm kind of course....
I shot a 9mm, but I don't think a .45 ACP or .40 S&W would be a problem. There was less actual shooting than some other courses I've taken. Mas would remind us from time to time that the class was "a major in when with a minor in how."

At the same time, I don't think I'd be anxious to use a .41 or .44 Magnum, or even a .357 Magnum in a K-frame (and certainly not in one of the new, lightweight frame S&Ws).

But the shooting we did do was an excellent review of some of the basics as well as introducing some new (to me) techniques and perspectives. I certainly learned some new things about shooting with one hand. Mas also suggests that we develop familiarity and competence with the three major stances: Weaver; Chapman; and Isosceles. While each of us may have a preferred stance, the ability to use one of the others which may be better suited to a particular situation could come in handy.

I'd tell you more, but we were required to promise to never reveal the details of the secret handshake.

FWIW, it's an excellent class and I heartily recommend it.
Old November 2, 2008, 08:40 PM   #13
Stevie-Ray

Can you use, say, a pin gun with reloads? Or is it stock weapon with factory fodder only?
Old November 2, 2008, 08:52 PM   #14
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie-Ray
Can you use, say, a pin gun with reloads? ....
I'm not sure why you would want to. But in any case, I'm not sure that anyone in this thread so far could give you a definitive answer.

But if you want to sign up, why not just ask Mas? He's pretty approachable, and I believe he's a member here.
Old November 2, 2008, 09:12 PM   #15
Deaf Smith

Guys,

The LFI-1 course where over 500 rounds is shot is not something that will wear you out, .45, .40 , or 9mm, on the range. It's 40+ hours, about 1/2 on law inside and outside the court.

While I'm not bubbly on the horse stance to deliver fire, as part of LFI-1, I did what I was shown to do and qualified using that stance at the specified range. Almost cleaned the target but the Sig 239 I used with the DA/SA trigger dropped one bullet low. My fault. I'm a Glock man and I dipped one low on DA.

I used the 9mm 239 (worked perfect) and lots of others used .45s. Oh, the only one I saw with real problems had a Kahr 'Micro' .40. It died early in the practice session.
Old November 2, 2008, 09:15 PM   #16
Threefeathers

Actually I think the answer would be no. Fiddletown and I both watched one of our class members who had a custom 1911 have a bunch of FTF's. I picked up one of his unfired rounds and saw it was a reload. I think Mas may have said something quietly to him because he showed up with WWB then next day. I think he also ditched that gun and had his spare which worked perfectly. (older Colt series 70 worked.)
The course outline says Carry gun is preferred and no reloads. I brought 1K WWB 9mm, 200 357Sig, 200 40 Smith, 100 45ACP. I also had 5 handguns stuffed in my iShot large bag and could have given folks a spare H K or Sig, or Colt 1911 that works.
I was so ready it was sickning. Rucksack with 5 nes MRE's. Cleaning kit for everyone if needed. Target pasters, binos, many spare mags, condoms, 5 notebooks, 2 weatherproof notebooks, 2 extra copies of In the Gravest Extreme, 10 pens of different colors, camara, video camera. Hell, everything I used to take on a deployment.
Old November 4, 2008, 09:39 PM   #17
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
The course outline says Carry gun is preferred and no reloads.
Aah, copy that. Thanks for the info.
Old November 4, 2008, 10:05 PM   #18
Mas Ayoob

Stevie-Ray, we strongly encourage folks to bring the gun they carry, or use for home defense.

If that's a gun with a recoil compensation device, it's OK. I have a few "carry comps" that I've carried on the street myself.

The "no reloads" thing is if you're one of the rare students who needs to borrow a firearm from us. If it's your gun, reloads are OK. You'll get the most out of it, though, if you duplicate the recoil/muzzle blast/trajectory of what you load with "for real." And, as Threefeathers noted, we do see more malfunctions with reloads than with factory ammo.

Cordially,
Mas
Old November 5, 2008, 06:56 AM   #19
Brit

Mas,

You missed a very good match on Sunday. The rain we could have done without (Glocks don't rust) Mike H.
Old November 5, 2008, 07:32 AM   #20
MikeKeyW

Shoot the center of MASs...

I took the course some 25 years ago (Mas must be getting old...) and one student used a Beretta or Browning hi cap 380. I used my Python on one and a 1911 on the LFI-II. Mas used "Fluffy", a mod 66 with the magna-trigger safety system.
What I remember most was terminal ballistics, if someone tells you suck on a shotgun barrel or makes you kneel, go for broke. I think I learned as much about avoiding a situation requiring use of lethal force as actually using it. I can still remember the grimace Mas would get on his face every time he'd repeat "Shoot for the center of Mass".
Old November 5, 2008, 10:31 PM   #21
Threefeathers

I wonder if someday we should have a giant reunion for all of us who made it through LFI. Maybe the whole shibang, party, dancing girls, memory lane, match current to ex-wives.
Old November 6, 2008, 03:41 AM   #22
MikeKeyW

Now that's a thought! Along with our CCW's bring NFA'a, there's just something about Hooters girls and machine guns, oh, and chicken wings, yea, and Wild Turkey for after the cold steel gets put away for the night.
Old November 8, 2008, 05:29 PM   #23
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
The "no reloads" thing is if you're one of the rare students who needs to borrow a firearm from us. If it's your gun, reloads are OK. You'll get the most out of it, though, if you duplicate the recoil/muzzle blast/trajectory of what you load with "for real." And, as Threefeathers noted, we do see more malfunctions with reloads than with factory ammo.
Mas, I've actually had far more success with my own reloads (no failures) than with factory ammo. (some failures) Though I can say that with premium defense ammo, I have had zero failures also. Soon, I'll work up loads that mimic my pet defense ammo, and if not entirely successful, then when the time comes, I'll chuck the reloads in favor of factory fodder. At any rate, I'll bring my carry weapons only. Now, to fly it past the wife.

Thanks, Mas
Old November 8, 2008, 09:28 PM   #24
Mas Ayoob

No problem, Stevie-Ray. Look forward to meeting you if and when you can make it.
Old November 8, 2008, 11:25 PM   #25
Threefeathers

Stevie, if you can bring your wife. I have been through mucho military training in my life and thought I was going only for the legal stuff. I was wrong, I learned something every day that changed my shooting. I dry fired before, but peobably only made it useful for rifle. I just finished my daily drills with holds and today did turns. I was in Shotokan Karate for so long that I simply use the same footwork and add the proper hold. To that I added high kneel tonight and took a note from one of Ed Stocks drills in the proper kneeling near the wall of a room. (Since I taught Ed how to do it in the 70's (I had been in Berlin Brigade for 3 years and we developed QCB) I ran the 297th through the drills when we were in Coalville one year.) I was happy to see that Ed further developed the technique.
Mas, I'm looking forward to seeing you and Gail this week.