The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 29, 2008, 09:46 PM   #1
KDM

Accurate Innovations stocks, anyone?

Tried this over on the Rifle forum...no bites.

Has anyone dealt with the gunstock maker Accurate Innovations? Their products look pretty nice. I'd like to hear the good & bad if you've had experience...

http://www.accurateinnovations.com
Old March 1, 2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

No experience, but I note they advertise "no hassle. . . drop in fit." That generally means you will have to bed the stock for best accuracy, which is not no-hassle.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 1, 2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Scorch

Never dealt with them, but . . .
"Free floated barrel channel"= wide enough to pass a small child through?
Nice, but properly bedded actions typically have the chamber area of the barrel bedded.

The "patent pending" aluminum bedding block is a nice touch for a wood stock, but is no better than a properly glass-bedded stock.

All in all, it looks OK on the web site. They offer wood upgrades, that would be nice to get. By the time you're done, you'll be $600 into it, pretty easy.
Old March 1, 2008, 02:09 PM   #4
KDM

Yeah...I'm leery of the claims being made. Did some Googling around, found Chuck Hawks did a write-up about them. That site's review was pretty high.

I've e-mailed AI with a simple question...let's see if they respond.
Old March 2, 2008, 01:47 AM   #5
hoghunting

When the ShortMags forum was still around, the owner of AI was a member of that forum. Many members bought his stocks and the only complaint was some of his custom made stocks took more time to deliver. Very few of the buyers had to bed the action as the bedding block was a perfect fit. There were a whole lot of happy members using AI stocks, and, just like this forum, the members would have complained if there was a problem with the stocks.
Old March 2, 2008, 09:09 AM   #6
KDM

Thanks for the info, hoghunting. BTW, I got a positive reply from AI...on a weekend, no less! Quick responses always bodes well.
Old April 8, 2009, 06:01 PM   #7
flyguyskt

just looked at my stock at accurate innovations...a piece of english walnut...WOW it is amazing. these guys do nice work.

as many have said they take a while to get but worth the money.

NO bedding required. action drops in like they say. extra recoil lugs built into the forgrip. barrel channels are very tight for a floating barrel. maybe 10-15/1000th. on each side.

had mine hand rubbed supreme oil finish. they do any thing your little heart desires. prices range from about 600$ on up to maybe 2k for a kick butt exhibition grade wood.

p.s. i am just a customer who had the luxury of being able to watch the process from start to finish.
Old April 9, 2009, 08:27 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Could you describe how the bedding block fit is managed? I have, for example, a single-piece aluminum V-block on a Choate stock that works by using relatively hard torque on hardened screws to pull round portions of the action profile into its center. That approach to anchoring the action is very effective and self-centering. By wedging the action into the V, tolerances in the action diameter are compensated for. I wondered if AI had a similar scheme or some other approach?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 9, 2009, 03:37 PM   #9
flyguyskt

see their work here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=350641
Old December 17, 2010, 11:24 AM   #10
chipcall61

Accurate Innovations

I had the privilege to visit the Accurate Innovations facility in Andrews, North Carolina yesterday to pick up my new stock. Wes was gracious enough to give me a thorough tour and explained the operation. Being an aircraft engine mechanic and a machinist, I have to say I was impressed. I was able to see stocks in every stage of manufacture. This is a truly professional operation of the highest caliber. The new M40 profile stock's fit and finish was a perfect drop in as advertised and sure makes a huge difference aesthetically from the factory supplied synthetic stock. Obviously, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot my newly stocked Remington 798, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed.