The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 2, 2008, 08:37 PM   #51
Boris Bush

jimbob86

I will always and forever use a shot that hits bone (shoulder) over a lung shot any day. Yep some meat gets ruined, but I will still be adding alot more to the freezer than it had before. The fact that deer can run a long way and still be alive when you get to it after you catchup to it does not appeal to me either.

I will at times hunt on my dads farm where deer cross over from a non hunting neighbors land that will not let you on his land to get a deer you shot............. Lung shot deer runs onto neighbors land, you are out of luck. Last deer I shot out there was 10 feet onto my dads land and it was shoulder shot and went 2 feet straight down. A few years earlier another hunter in our party always poked at me for not lung shooting, and guess where his lung shot deer went.....................

Shoulder shots are good for stopping the deer on the spot. Less tracking and quicker kills, with no chance of lost deer to neighbors.

I do like the advice you gave though, it shows you know deer habits anyway, sometimes I take the hunt to the animal. Much more fun for me, infact I have never taken a deer past 94 yards and am darn proud of that.........

In closing, what ever you use or how you do it, some people will always try to convert you to their side, I just say get out and hunt..................
Old May 4, 2008, 08:43 AM   #52
mikenbarb

BorisBush, If you contact your local PD or fish and game division you would have been able to recover those deer. Its the law that your entitled to recover "YOUR" dead deer from private property with or without the owners permission. You just have to take the rite steps and do it legally and the first is to call fish and game. They will either send someone out or they contact your local law enforcement agency to allow you to gain access to your deer even if the other property owners having a hissy fit and says no, the law says yes and they cant do anything about it. Nothing bothers me more than seeing someone lose a deer to a tree hugger. And even if the F&G didnt get there or were too busy I know I would have been belly crawling over there that evening to get my deer or if warm out I would have had to duke it out with the neighbor if he didnt understand why I want and need my deer. Another thing is that a dead deer on Mr. Bunny Huggers property enforces his theory of why there shouldnt be any hunting at all. Anti's are a bunch of miserable people with nothing better to do than bother law abiding sportsman and women and they should get a grip on reality.