The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2000, 04:41 PM   #1
doctor j

I'm about to start my annual practice sessions for .44 mag before deer season. This year I will load my own. I will probably use jacketed or plated bullets to prevent barrel leading. I plan to use Win296 powder, and I have Lee Carbide dies. I use Lee Carbides plus the carbide Factory Crimp die on .45 ACP with good results. What advantages does the factory crimp die offer versus the bullet seating/crimp die (included with the regular dies) for the roll crimp on the .44 mag? Thanks in advance.
Old July 16, 2000, 06:29 PM   #2
Waterdog

2400 and a roll crimp would probably work better.

Waterdog
Old July 16, 2000, 10:50 PM   #3
Jack Straw

doctor j

I've never actually used the Lee carbide factory crimp die (but I do use their carbide dies for .44mag) so I don't know about how they affect performance. The factory crimp die does have a few things to offer though. First of all, it forces you to crimp separately from seating (which I would suggest you do even with the roll crimp). Secondly, it post sizes the cartridge. Thirdly, it will provide the same crimp on each case. With a roll crimp it is important that each case be the same length to get the exact same crimp on each round; case length will not really affect the crimp using the factory crimp die.

As I said, I haven't used the factory crimp, but I would think that you might get a tighter crimp with the roll crimp. That could be a factor in performance using powders like W296 or H110. Just make sure the cases are all the same length and you should be good to go.

BTW, I just started loading a bunch of .44's for the very same reason. What loads are you considering exactly?

Jack
Old July 17, 2000, 02:40 PM   #4
Calif Hunter

I started using the Lee Factory crimp die on .357 magnum loads with H110 and W296 mainly because I had a set of older RCBS dies I was using for both .38 special and .357 and it was easier (for me) to use it than to keep re-adjusting the dies. I have since purchased Lee carbide dies which I use for the .357 loads and keep the RCBS dies for .38's. (I use the factory crimp die on both.) I find that I get much better accuracy with the factory crimp die, even when using powders that don't call for the strong bullet pull that the slow powders require. I did have to replace a barrel, by the way, on an old Colt Trooper which developed a bulge in the barrel. I am not 100 percent sure what caused it, but I now use the factory crimp die religiously when I use those two powders! I never noticed anything different while firing it, but it may have been caused by that "secondary ignition" warned about with those two powders. I had a heck of a time finding a good used barrel for that old Trooper and do not want to do that again! The loads were all "by the book." I also make sure that the bullets I use have a cannelure to crimp into..I had used some 125 grain FMJ's that did not. The Lee crimp die says you don't have to have a crimping groove, but I am playing it plenty safe now.
Old July 20, 2000, 07:17 PM   #5
doctor j

Jack Straw, I'm not exactly sure at this point which loads I'll try. I will use Randy Garrett's ammo for the actual hunt and my reloads for practicing. I'll use the practice stuff to work on my technique and then zero in and hunt with Randy's fodder. At this point, I'm considering something in 240 grains, probably plated instead of jacketed since there seems to be quite a variety from which to choose in 240 gr. I don't want to use lead for practice as I get tired of dragging the Lewis lead remover through the barrels of my revolvers.

Old July 21, 2000, 08:25 AM   #6
TexasRusty

Doctor

I load 296 for my 44 mag and it works very well. Make sure you use a large magnum pistol primer and a very heavy crimp. I use a Lee carbide resizer and RCBS expander and seater and crimp dies.

Go out and look at Winchester Powder web page. There are some warnings about using Win 296. It states that it can only be used with heavy bullets and heavy crimps. With light bullets, light loads there is a danger of squib loads.

I currently use 23 grains of Win 296, a Hornady 240 grain XTP and a federal magnum large pistol primer. The powder level is high enough to be very lightly compressed. Performance and accuracy is very nice out of my super blackhawk.

The URL for Winchester is.http://www.winchester.com/