The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 31, 2005, 10:51 PM   #1
William_IV

woodworker needs stock plans model 700

Does anyone out there have a crude stock template. I'd like to make a nice bench rest stock for my model 700. currently i've got the traditional stock and i'd like to make a bench rest friendly stock. i'm pretty handy all i need is the side profile and a top view and i could figure out the rest.
Old October 31, 2005, 11:31 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Can't help you but I can tell you what the old time blackpowder gunsmiths did. They traced the outline and then trimmed it after they layed it against the stock. I'd use a level and tape a pencil to it to acheive the same effect.
Old November 1, 2005, 01:30 AM   #3
cntryboy1289

William, I would suggest that you go to a gun shop and take a look at the different stocks they have on their guns and try them to see which style you like best. You may not find one there and need to search other gun stores, but maybe you will find one you like. The gun shop owner shouldn't mind you taking a picture if you ask him about it, please don't go in with the camera in hand and take the pic first.

There are a lot of sites on the web that build custom stocks that you can visit and check out the different styles out there on the market. I would suggest to you that it would be very hard to come up with one that works well that hasn't already been thought of by someone else, but who knows.