The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2001, 11:09 AM   #1
vince weng

there are three dies for deluxe as opposed to 2 dies (standard). Has anyone of you used deluxe die set? Is it worth the money to get a deluxe die set? how much accuracy could you expect if you use deluxe die set and standard die set assuming you don't do anything stupid.
Old January 22, 2001, 02:43 PM   #2
Kenneth L. Walters

It may have a lot to do with my poor marksmenship but I've never seen differences in die sets make any difference in on target accuracy. The most expensive or the least, they all work about the same.

I am a fan, however, of having separate seater and crimp dies and, if you are using a cast bullet, a case mouth expander die.
Old January 23, 2001, 02:20 PM   #3
proximo

The advantage of having a neck sizing die, as included in the Deluxe set, is that by only sizing the neck, you don't have to lube the case and you work the brass less so it last longer. It also doesn't need trimming quite as often and it may add to accuracy. However, this only really applies to bolt guns and only to brass that was last fired in that particular gun. Switching bolt guns normally requires a full length resize as does any reloading done for a semi-automatic.

If you are reloading for target shooting, every little bit counts and that's why you see target shooters using neck sizing dies a lot. If you are just loading the occasional hunting round, then the Deluxe die set may not be worth it to you unless you enjoy tinkering (and if you are reloading, you must )

If creating the most accurate round possible is your primary goal, then you should look at Redding's Competition die sets that include a bushing neck sizer. This allow you to precisely control the amount of grip the neck has on the bullet which make an accuracy difference. The Competition die also lets you precisely control the amount of shoulder setback when resizing.

In my case, I use the Redding Deluxe .223 die set to progressively load .223 on a Dillon 550b to be used in an AR15 for Highpower rapid fire strings. I have two toolheads setup, one has only the full length sizing die in it. The cases are lubed and passed through the sizing die then put in the tumbler to clean off the lube. Then I switch to a second toolhead that has just the neck sizer, the powder measure and seating die. The neck sizer doesn't do much sizing here, since the rounds are already resized, but the decapping pin punches any tumbler media stuck in the flashhold and the die provides even pressure opposite the seating die so that the OAL comes out precise for every round. Since these rounds are loaded at the max OAL (2.26") for reliable magazine feed, getting a consistent seating depth is important. Also, because its a neck sizer, I don't have to lube my already resized and cleaned cases again.

I use the Redding Competition die set and a Rockchucker to single load 600yd ammo for the same rifle since absolute accuracy is critical at the longer distances.