The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 29, 2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Jack O'Conner

Remington 11-87

I have a chance to buy a lightly used 11-87 for a good price. Anyone have long term experience (reliability) with this shotgun? I'll use it mostly for sporting clays and occaisonal trap shooting.

Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; April 29, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Evan Thomas

Moved to Shotguns... you'll get answers a bit faster here, I think.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3
BigJimP

Yes, they're a good reliable semi-auto gas operated shotgun....like any gas gun, you have to keep them clean and properly lubed...and it should be just fine for a good entry level gun.

The 11-87's and the 1100 remingtons are fairly old technology vs some of the newer gas guns from Beretta, Browning - Winchester, etc...but there is nothing wrong with them. Lots of guys at my club are still shooting 1100's or 11-87's.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:57 AM   #4
TB9

ive had one for 8yrs. now and not a single problem yet as said above keep em maintaned and it will always go bang when you need it. i think they are a great shotgun .HTH
Old May 1, 2013, 02:35 PM   #5
charlie in md

I have 18K rounds through mine, no issues. Love it. Having said that, here are a few parts that may break through usage: the O ring, the link, the piston, and the piston seal (although the last two now come connected together, and I have had no failures). There is a parts kit that sells for $85 that contains all of the above. The nice thing about the gun is that you can easily replace almost every part yourself if one does break.

Last edited by charlie in md; May 1, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old May 1, 2013, 02:58 PM   #6
eldermike

I'll add that you can call remington and speak to a person if you have a problem. You can also order the parts from Remington's country store. I just ordered a barrel for my 11-87 and was confused about the Gas cylinder spring it needed. I called and within a few minutes I knew the answer and the part is on it's way to me.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:19 AM   #7
b.thomas

I've had the 1187 skeet model for more then twenty-five plus years..................never have had a problem with it.