The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 1999, 12:15 PM   #1
Fusternc

I recently bought a couple boxes of American Ammunition in 9mm 115fmj. They shot very well through my new Sig P226. I collected all the brass and went to work cleaning the cases and such for reloading. What I noticed is that in almost 9 out of 10 of the once fired cases, there is a small crack about 1/16" up from the bottom of the case running horizontal. The crack is typically about 1/32 to 1/16 " long and hairline. Is this a sign of a problem with my new gun causing this or have others had problems with American Ammunition cases for reloading. I did notice that on several of the cases,the primer pockets that were punched from the factory were way offcenter. This kind of leads me to believe that its just cheap junk. Any thoughts?

Nathan..
Old December 3, 1999, 12:59 PM   #2
Hal

If it's the cheap junk American in the Bubble Pak, yeah it's cheap junk. This junk was covered here once or twice before.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.

http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

Old December 3, 1999, 01:02 PM   #3
bfoster

I've had the same sort of problem with this ammunition in 45 ACP with my HK USP. The chamber dimensions are correct there, the brass is junk. Bob