The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 9, 2005, 01:47 PM   #1
kraigster414

Rem 870P safety button right to left?

Took my new 870P out today for its maiden voyage. Everything went well - glad I wore a shoulder pad though. Since I am LH, a few times my hand would actidently activate the safety button while shooting, locking up the gun. Can the 870 safety be reversed for LH shooters? Is this major surgery? Thanks.
Old June 9, 2005, 06:41 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Unfortunately, newer Remington's safeties cannot be reversed.

Here's the straight info from Remington's web site:

"Since 1986, the safety on the Model 870 has not been able to be "turned around" by a gunsmith. The design of the trigger plate assembly does not allow this modification".

At one time, several companies made after-market left-hand safeties, but I haven't see one for some time.

The best I can recommend is to call Brownell's and ask them if they know of a currently available left-hand safety.
Old June 9, 2005, 07:33 PM   #3
kraigster414

Thanks. That's not the info I was hoping to hear but I will inquire starting with Brownells.
Old June 9, 2005, 07:50 PM   #4
kraigster414

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...KU=931440B&MC=

Old June 20, 2005, 02:46 PM   #5
kraigster414

Here's the "skinny" for those interested in converting a Rem870 RH safety to a LH safety on a standard Rem 870 RH shotgun - Express or Police:

The Numrich oversize LH safety (available at their site) alone won't convert a RH Rem 870 safety to LH as I learned despite what their customer service person told me. The 870 RH trigger assembly has to be modified by a gunsmith or replaced with a LH trigger assembly - Remington does make a LH 870 model. If you have an 870 Police (only comes in a RH model), you are better off letting the 'smith modify the existing trigger assembly since the Police version's trigger assembly has upgraded parts, e.g., heavier sear spring and there is no 870 Police LH trigger assembly sold - at least to my knowledge.

I am having my gunsmith modify my 870P's existing trigger assembly as we speak. He is doing this per Remington specs (he's a Remington authorized repair station). I'll let everyone know the cost and how it works out. Once the mod has been made however, there is no turning back. Sell it/hand it down to a righty and if he/she can't live with the LH safety, they'll have to replace the entire trigger assembly. Not a super big deal - parts will always be available in quantity for the 870s.

IMHO the only negative about the Rem 870 right hand shotgun, whether Police or Express, is the postion of the safety button if you are left handed. It's very easy to engage the safety during repeat firing thereby locking up the gun. Not a biggie at the range but in a worst case scenario, it could could get you killed. The position of the safety on the Win 1300 is much better (further up) if you are left handed and the Mossberg's top button is even better.

So the statement made by the poster above: "Since 1986, the safety on the Model 870 has not been able to be "turned around" by a gunsmith...the design of the trigger plate assembly does not allow this modification..." is not entirely accurate. Ture, the safety cannot be simply "turned around" as was told by Numrich, but the assembly can be modified (drilling and filling requiring exact measurements by a competent gunsmith - Remington provides authorized gunsmiths with detailed instructions on how to do), albeit it falls under the category of medium to major surgery. Is it worth it? It was to me.

Update...

'Just got my 870P back from the gunsmith. He modified the trigger assemply exactly per Remington specs and I now have a fully functional LH safety! Cost was $80 and IMHO, money well-spent. This guy does incredible work.
Old June 20, 2005, 06:06 PM   #6
Lee Lapin

There are mirror-image lefty 870s. I see used lefty Wingmasters from time to time, currently the Express is available new.

IMO you should clearly mark your receiver (in removeable fashion) to indicate the safety has been reversed. Should some unwitting non-sinister person handle the gun...

lpl/nc
Old June 21, 2005, 10:21 AM   #7
kraigster414

True there are LH Wingmasters (I owned one a while back) and I'll take your word on the Express. There are no LH 870 police models however.
Old June 21, 2005, 11:21 AM   #8
Skeetin'870

Remington doesnt seem to support the southpaws now do they. I know the benelli nova comes in LH I also think you can buy it with the 18.5" barell for a southpaw.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through