The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Should beginners start out with a .22LR pistol to learn fundamentals?
Yes - start with .22 and move to a major later 105 80.15%
No - start with whatever major caliber and learn on that pistol 26 19.85%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 29, 2011, 08:08 AM   #51
Leejack

I could make an arguement either way.

It was my intention to start my daughter with the single six, but here's how it went:

When the time was right, I happened to have my Blackhawk with me, so I started her out on .38 special. She liked it, but didn't like the loading/unloading process of a single action revolver. Next time out, I took the Hawk and the single six, she shot both, preferred the .38 over the .22. We trained with these 2 guns for a few sessions.

I then introduced her to a 9mm auto, and she's never looked back. She loves the gun and the round.

I'm glad I did get to teach her the basics with the revolvers.
Old June 29, 2011, 12:14 PM   #52
TylerD45ACP

The 9mm is a great starter round when getting into the major calibers. Plus it's just an excellent round in all aspects. I dont care about people who say its whimpy, it is more than enough to do the job. The caliber is cheap so you can shoot alot, has low recoil for beginners, and has good terminal ballistics. I am a 45 guy too mostly but I really like the 9mm. The high round count is very nice-- Some hollowpoint loads can get 400+ ft/Lbs and thats quite a bit of energy. @Leejack What type of 9mm is she shooting?
Old June 29, 2011, 12:51 PM   #53
Leejack

She has a 9VE and loves it, shoots the lights out with it too!

I mostly shoot my PT92 but she thinks it's too big.

Great ergos on the sigma for sure!
Old June 29, 2011, 12:58 PM   #54
TylerD45ACP

Nice thats cool you got her shooting to. We need as many people understanding firearms as possible. The Sigma does seem to have nice ergonomics. I am more of a steel guy my 9mm is a 5906. I fired a 9mm Sigma at my range though and did like it. How is the PT92 I have tried a Beretta 92FS but have always wanted to try a Taurus. Can you carry it cocked n locked or is it a decocker. The PT92/92FS is a big gun though and to think its a 9mm. I believe many comments have been made about them being oversized but they are nice smooth shooting guns.
Old June 29, 2011, 01:04 PM   #55
Leejack

I have years of experience with the PT and M9, love-em both!

The PT has a frame mounted 3 position lever, you can carry condition 1 with it. You can also decock it and carry with safety on or off. I've put thousands through them, never a problem.

I've heard similar complaints like my daughters, from some in the military about the size of the M9, but for me it works just fine.

As far as the sigma goes, if you can master the trigger, the gun is as natural a pointer as you'll find. My girl says it was molded for her hand, again she loves it to death.
Old June 29, 2011, 01:14 PM   #56
TylerD45ACP

Thats awesome you can Cond. 1 the gun and decock it as well. The size is fine to me to I love the way the Beretta feels and shoots. Come to think of it a guy at the range let me fire 10rds out of his PT92. I did well with it and hit all in 9's a little group. It had a sweet trigger just like the 92FS. I know what your daughter means about the gun molded for her hand. I feel the exact same way about the 1911.
Old June 29, 2011, 08:45 PM   #57
P-990

I vote .22LR. And I will add a note; most people can't shoot handguns very well at all. I know this will get me flamed and draw out lots of great shot stories, but stop and think and picture what you see at the range when you're shooting. Do you see lots of little knots of holes close together? Or do you see target uprights blown to bits from 7 yards? Yeah, I've rebuilt a few target stands too...

What really amazes me is when I watch somebody struggling and obviously frustrated at not doing as well as they think they should. If they're willing to accept a few pointers, I will give a couple of tips (Watch the front sight, squeeze the trigger, don't mash it, let the gun recoil, etc.) and then let them try one of my .22s. Normally it's like night and day as they really focus on what they are doing and clang the steel plates with mild little Plinks. I like to think at least one of those people went out and started practicing with "only a .22" a little more and became a better shot after that.
Old June 29, 2011, 11:35 PM   #58
ltc444

I started with a Black powder Revolver. Remington Army replica. Mostly because I was 18 and wanted a pistol. I learned good basics from a classmate. Later I moved on to the CMSU Pistol team were SSG Schoengert beat even more of the basics into my head.

I recommend the BP as a starter pistol.
Old June 29, 2011, 11:36 PM   #59
TylerD45ACP

I think the only .22 anyone should start with is the Walther 22 because it resembles the P99. I still think people should start with a major caliber and get used to what its like. I did that and I consider myself a pretty good shot and thats not just my opinion. I am not trying to boast mind you.
Old June 30, 2011, 08:19 AM   #60
microman

I just started out my lady with a .45 and she did
excellent. However, we now use a .22 as well with
the duty calibers.
Old June 30, 2011, 08:46 AM   #61
shortwave

Quote:
I could make an arguement either way
Same here.

But I'll also add that IMO, a 22 handgun is in no way a waste of time in having in your arsenal. Doesn't matter how long you've been shooting, a 22 can be an economical platform in which to stay brushed up on basic shooting skills.
Old June 30, 2011, 03:48 PM   #62
Wheeler1

I started with a .22 on small frame when I was 10. Loved the gun and enjoyed the experience. Had guns ever since.

My daughter started with a Taurus Semi auto in .22 and absolutely hated it. Said it was too light and hard to hold steady. She asked to shoot my .38 Rossi Model M68 and blew the black out of the target at 7 yards her first few times firing. Hasn't stopped and currently does the same thing with my .45 1911.

I suppoes it depends on what you are comfortable with, though I'd definitely have started my wife with the .22.
Old June 30, 2011, 05:57 PM   #63
daliff89

i'm a fairly big guy and i learned to shoot on my compact .45

i'm not the best shot i know, but i'm FAR from the worst, even amongst the people i know that 'shoot all the time'

from a money standpoint, yes, .22 is definitely the way to go

but i was always taught with anything, you're better off practicing with what you're actually going to be doing

if you want to build a better jump shot on the basketball court, you don't start practicing with a doorway hoop and tennis ball

if the person is going to try to teach themselves, then i understand a .22, but if you've got an experienced shooter with you teaching you how to shoot and you can afford higher caliber ammo, i don't see the advantages of learning on a smaller caliber

especially if you're going to purchase the pistol you're learning on
Old July 2, 2011, 08:41 AM   #64
rep1954

To quote "Leejack"
Quote:
I could make an arguement either way.
I have to agree that it is so close of a choice you could go either way. My personal feeling is to start shooting with a 22LR and a 38Spl at the same time as the recoil of the 38Spl adds a different perspective that needs to be learned early in shooting. Most importantly is the need for good quality shooting and not so much shooting as much as you can in a given time. If you practice bad habits and do alot of sloppy shooting it wont matter what your shooting proper practice is important. I did sway towards major caliber with my vote. I never tried to push shooting on my son but at the age of twelve he decided he would like to start shooting and showed a intrest in semi autos. At the time I was involved in action shooting sports. After looking at many different guns rimfire and centerfire he liked the 9mm Browning Hi Power best and a gunsmith friend of mine assured him that it was a fine choice and ordered him one. My friend explained to him that he was going to do some tuning on the gun and how he was going to do it. At the range for the first six weeks it was learning slow fire single shot shooting. After that we added some fast fire two to three shot burst with the last couple of magazines per trip. Long story made short at the age of fifteen he was out shooting his dad with anything you put in his hand.

Tags
.22 lr , beginner , learn shooting , shooting fundamentals