The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 12, 2011, 08:23 PM   #1
chewie146

Dog chewed my boots. Any suggestions?

Hey all,

I lost my belleville boots to my dog. They were a pair of gortex-lined uninsulated desert boots, and they served me very well. I was going to just get a pair of bellevilles again, but I thought I'd ask around here, as there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum in all things hunting-related. I'm looking to spend around the same amount of money, which is approximately $130. Are there some better/other options for a good all around hiking boot that will be lightweight, durable, and waterproof. I don't want insulation, as my feet run hot, and these are worn year-round. If it gets cold, I wear better socks.
Old September 12, 2011, 08:27 PM   #2
MLeake

I like Danners, but am not sure what they have in the $130 range.

In that price range, I really like the Salomon trail-runner type hiking sneakers, but they aren't waterproof. They are really awesome for long distance hikes, though.
Old September 12, 2011, 08:50 PM   #3
GURU1911

NEW BOOTS

Step one: Beat the crap out of that dog with the boot he chewed.

Step two: Have wife / girlfriend spank you for leaving your boots accessible to your dog.

Step three: Purchase a pair of "hi-tech magnums" or "bates enforcers" for the feet---promise you will love them !!!!

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old September 12, 2011, 09:01 PM   #4
JimPage

Buy new boots of your choice. Don't leave them out for the dog to chew.
Just in case you might forget to put them away, douse them with Tobasco sauce regularly. Once a week should do fine.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:03 PM   #5
chewie146

I'm not sure why the dog chewed my boots. She's been on the porch with 3 pairs of boots for weeks, has never chewed another pair of shoes, and generally doesn't bug stuff. Maybe I had something on them that smelled appetizing. Thanks for the tips all.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:09 PM   #6
chewie146

By the way, Guru, which Bates Enforcers do you recommend? They seem to be a series.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Jason_G

Quote:
I like Danners, but am not sure what they have in the $130 range.
Yeah, Danners.

Whites are great too, but way outside the price range you mention. Converse has some boots that I've been looking at, but I've never owned any, so I can't say whether they're good or not.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old September 12, 2011, 09:24 PM   #8
chewie146

A few of you have mentioned my price range. What price range am I looking at for a better boot? I'm open to higher prices as well, though I wanted to see if there was anything in that price range worth mentioning.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:26 PM   #9
langenc

Danners-there are a couple of on-line stores that sell em that way-considerably less than MSRP.. Ask and may get 'free' shipping.
Old September 12, 2011, 10:27 PM   #10
beex215

make the dog buy you new ones

http://www.youtube.com/user/beehasagun1?feature=mhee
Old September 12, 2011, 11:09 PM   #11
fatwhiteboy

I'd start giving the dog more food...
Old September 13, 2011, 06:46 AM   #12
MLeake

One of my dogs once chewed up, over the span of two days, a pair of Raichle hiking boots; the remote to my TV; and my Telex pilot's headset and case.

The vet told me that was usually a sign of separation anxiety. The dog was chewing up things that had the strongest levels of my scent on them, since it made him feel like I was there. (Not that he was actually biting me.)

I ended up having to put him back into crate training while I was at work. When I was home, I started working on leaving for short intervals, but coming back, while he was free in the house. Got him used to the idea that I would always come back. Problem stopped.

Good luck.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:05 AM   #13
columbia_shotguneer

+1 MLeake, Some of my dogs had the same anxiety and attachment issues of my wife and I leaving for extended periods of time and finally after fencing them in during these hrs they realized we would come back, all ok after a short time. Was able to leave them free to roam 24/7 with no chewed up personal belongings. Good post!
Old September 13, 2011, 09:26 AM   #14
jmr40

Unless you find them on sale there is nothing in the $130 range I'd suggest. The Belleville's were probably part of a military surplus overun and the MSRP is going to be a lot more than $130. I've found some good buys on some of the military surplus boots in the past. Bought my son a pair of the Belleviews for $25 a few years ago. But that was when the war in the desert was gearing up. Don't see as many deals on them as I did a few years ago.

Lately I've been using high cut hiking boots more than boots made for hunting. You get more quality, for less money. You are also more likely to find great prices on boots when the next years models and colors come out.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/aso...colorFamily=02

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/aso...colorFamily=05

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...3Bcat104105880

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...3Bcat104105880
Old September 13, 2011, 09:30 AM   #15
Eghad

When I was deployed overseas once I received my Danners I threw the Army issued boots in the trash. I also purchased a pair of Bellvilles for warmer weather wear. For nasty/cold weather I would get Danners and for warmer dry weather a pair of Bellvilles. I still have these boots and use them they were purchased in 2003.

NRA Life Member
Old September 13, 2011, 09:44 AM   #16
Mudinyeri

Not sure what size you wear but I have a pair of black Gor-Tex, non-insulated Bellevilles in men's size 9.5 W that I'd sell for $75 + shipping. I've worn them a couple times but just don't care for the style. I ended up with a pair of Danners instead.

Note: If you're familiar with Belleville boots, you probably know that a 9.5 non-insulated boot is comparable to a standard size 10.
Old September 13, 2011, 10:33 AM   #17
Kreyzhorse

Try Irish Setters. I've had very good luck with them.
Old September 13, 2011, 01:08 PM   #18
MOshooter65202

IMO It's hard to beat the Belleville Desert w/gortex boots,they're tough,light weight,and water proof.
I am on my third pair and will buy another they work great for warm temp hunting and const.
Old September 13, 2011, 02:16 PM   #19
oneounceload

I have Danners - but mine are a little older and made in the US. Only some of the models are now - I find the US-made ones just seemed better and truer to size than the imported ones

LL Bean may still carry their upland boot - it was a Gore-tex uninsulated hunting boot - last I saw was somewhat in your price range
Old September 13, 2011, 03:56 PM   #20
spclPatrolGroup

Buy the cheapest boots you can, and live with them a year, then purchase a nice pair, I bet the dog never comes near the new pair again.
Old September 14, 2011, 05:25 AM   #21
Outlaw81

Browning upland game boots. They're super lite and comfortable. U can usually find em bout $150. I'd buy a hanging shoe rack.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:10 AM   #22
phil mcwilliam

Shoot the dog, skin it & tan it then send to Russell Moccasin Company. Russell Moccasins, based in Wisconsin will hand make you a pair of hunting boots after you supply them approximately a dozen measurements & tracings of each foot.
Russell Moccasins will hand make an exact fitting boot out of the hide you provide, but if you don't want to shoot your dog, or if your dog is too small for a pair of boots, Russell Moccasins will provide their own leather.
Waiting time for a pair of these hand made boots is around 6 months, & I think they cost around $350. Had a mate that just ordered a pair.
I buy Hunt Tec boots for around $130

Last edited by phil mcwilliam; September 14, 2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:45 AM   #23
Rifleman1776

Get rid of the dog.
Old September 14, 2011, 11:20 PM   #24
grubbylabs

If you really want the best boots for hiking around look at what wild land fire fighter wear? Who can you think of that spends more time hiking or depending more on foot wear?

They wear Nicks and Whites. Hand made boots that fit like a glove and out last every other boot on the market by decades.

I know a farmer who has had the same pair of Nicks for twenty years. I bought my second pair 3 years ago when I started working for a local fire department. I have literally stood in fire with mine and they still work and look great. In fact I just did an 18 mile hike in mine and they were great. Yes I had to pay just under 400 for mine but when you consider I will have them for at least another 10 years. This is my second pair, the first pair are a set of pack boots and do not meet fire safety standards, so I had to buy the second pair to be compliant.

Plus they will custom build your boots for you if you fill out the order from.

I have never owned a pair of Whites but those that I know with them like them as much as I like my Nicks.

When you think about how much you spend on a rifle and optics it does not make since to go cheap on your boots when they protect your feet and keep them happy and comfy so you can get to your hunting spot.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 15, 2011, 12:03 AM   #25
Niner4Tango

Redwings. And...

I wouldn't trade my dog for 1000 pairs of boots