The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 7, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1
ky hunter

Winchester - is it made in Japan?

I have a model 70 SS 300 Win Mag with a Boss it has the pre 64 coped action. My ? is was it made here in the GOD BLESSED USA or Japan? I may be wrong I think some of Winchester guns were made over seas If so how would you know?
Old September 7, 2012, 08:32 PM   #2
warbirdlover

I don't remember Winchester 70's ever being made in Japan. I suspect it was made by FN in their South Carolina plant.
Old September 7, 2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Gunplummer

Does not matter. Japan was making high quality guns.
Old September 7, 2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Deja vu

While I can fully understand the desire to have Americana made guns I have to admit that the Japan Winchesters I have handled where pretty slick, much nicer than the new American made Marlins (Remlins)

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 7, 2012, 11:41 PM   #5
mete

If it's made by Miroku like my Browning 1885 it's going to be a very well made rifle .You won't find any better !Same goes I think for the Win 1885.
Old September 7, 2012, 11:42 PM   #6
gaseousclay

Quote:
Does not matter. Japan was making high quality guns.
agreed. Japan is one of the few exceptions i'll make for a firearm made overseas. I think Miroku has very high production standards and produce some fine firearms, compared to the garbage being churned out by Remington/Marlin. This is why Winchester charges a premium for their guns...because you're paying for a better quality firearm.

To my knowledge, the Model 70 is produced in South Carolina. The new Winchester 94 is made by Miroku in Japan. Either way, they're both fine rifles
Old September 7, 2012, 11:53 PM   #7
kraigwy

Some Winchesters are made in Japan, but I never heard of a Model 70 made in Japan.

Winchester Model 70s were taken over by US Repeating arms and leased the copy right from Winchester in the late 80s or eary 90s. They like the Winchesters were made in the US. Then FN bought the copywright and has been making them. They are also made in the US.

I have a Browning 1895 Winchester Clone that was made in Japan, but with excellent quality.

A lot of Winchester Shotguns were made in Japan, but like the Win 101, still an excellent gun and a classic.

I don't think the Win Mode 21 was ever made in Japan.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 8, 2012, 12:05 AM   #8
jmr40

Look on the barrel. It will say "New Haven CT". That is where it was made. Winchester and Browning are both currently owned by FN. Some versions of their guns are made in Japan, but never the model 70.

FN bought the company from United States Repeating Arms Company, USRAC, sometime in the mid to late 90's. USRAC, bought the company in 1980 from Winchester. They continued production in New Haven until 2006 when they shut down. They moved production to South Carolina and resumed prodction in 2008. The BOSS guns were all made in New Haven.
Old September 8, 2012, 07:57 AM   #9
ky hunter

THANKS jmr40
Do they still make one with the boss ?
Old September 8, 2012, 08:43 AM   #10
hooligan1

The Howa, Weatherby Vanguards, and older Smith&Wesson rifles and shotguns were made in Japan, and they are very nice with decent craftsmanship..
Old September 8, 2012, 09:17 AM   #11
Rifleman1776

Japan made quality may be alright. I still wouldn't want one.
I want my guns to be made in America. It's an American thing.
Answer to question not clear. Were Winchesters ever made in Japan?
BTW, I will make an exception for guns made in western Europe. America has a long tradition of importing, and exporting, guns from our allies in Europe.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:03 AM   #12
gwnorth

Anything new lever guns on the shelves bearing the name "Winchester Repeating Arms" is made by Miroku in Japan. The name "Winchester Repeating Arms" is owned by the Herstal Group (FN & Browning). Miroku has been making long guns since the late 1880's, and they've made Browning's Citori line of shotgun for decades. Outside of NA, Miruko also markets firearms under their own name. Many of the regulars on some of the lever gun forums claim the current Miroku made Winchesters are far better than anything New Haven churned out in their last 10 years or so of production.

The only way to get an American Made Winchester Repeating Arms lever gun nowadays is to buy used, and many will tell you to stick to pre-1964 production at that.

Some bolt action winchesters (at least the model 70) are still made in the US in S. Carolina at FN's Columbia plant.

See the info at: http://www.winchesterguns.com/custom...ail.asp?id=287
Old September 8, 2012, 11:51 AM   #13
jmr40

Quote:
THANKS jmr40
Do they still make one with the boss ?
They do not show a BOSS equipped rifle on their website. To my knowledge they stopped offering that when production stopped in New Haven. It is possible that they may offer it again in the future since Browning does and they are both owned by the same company.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...sp?family=001C

Browning, which is part of the same parent company does still offer the BOSS system on limited versions of their rifles

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...5&tid=005&bg=x

Brownings are made in Japan.

My personal feelings. The Japanese made Browning is a well made, accurate gun, but I do not care for the design. I do not care for the BOSS system. It is ugly, adds a lot of noise, expense and any benefits are very, very small and can be accomplished in other ways. It is one way to improve a rifles accuracy. There are better ways IMHO.
Old September 8, 2012, 06:01 PM   #14
gaseousclay

Quote:
I want my guns to be made in America. It's an American thing.
so let's say FN/Winchester decides to manufacture the Winchester 94 back in the USA, BUT, they're still charging the same price for it as the current Miroku made Winchester 94's, would you then still buy it? I get the impression that some gun owners want an affordable firearm that won't break the bank and something with a nice fit/finish. My feeling is that you should pay for quality regardless of where it's made.
Old September 8, 2012, 06:20 PM   #15
Joe Chicago

The new controlled feed pre-64 design 'Winchester' 70s are actually manufactured in Columbia, SC by Fabrique Nationale, who entered into a license agreement with Olin, who owns Winchester's trademarks. This is a good thing, since FN has been making US military firearms for decades (M16s, M249 SAWs, M240s, etc.) and all reports are that the new controlled feed 70s are as good or better than those produced before 1964.
Old September 8, 2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Joe Chicago

GW, I would argue that the Columbia, SC 70s are American made. The profits my be going to FN, but the plant and employees are American. I'd rather have the jobs, payroll, physical plant and tooling, not to mention local suppliers.
Old September 8, 2012, 06:35 PM   #17
Joe Chicago

Hooligan, I agree re Japanese brands. I just bought a Vanguard S2 after having troubles with a couple new Remington rifles and have been very happy. The fit/finish, functioning and accuracy of the Vanguard is much better than the Model Seven I sold to get it.
Old September 8, 2012, 07:08 PM   #18
jmr40

He said the new production LEVERS are all made in Japan. That is correct. As far as I know only the model 70's are USA made at this time.

To be perfectly accurate Winchester went out of the firearms business in 1980. They continued to make ammo, but the Winchester name was sold to investors at that time who continued to make rifles in the same factroy using both the Winchester name as well as USRAC on the guns.

Not sure of the exact year but FN bought the name sometime in the 90's. There are many who will argue that only Winchsters made through 1979 are "REAL"Winchesters. It is close enough for me. The original Classics made from 1994-2006 have the potentil to be the best ever made. The design is solid. The workmanship is spotty on rifles made after 2000 though. But the 1994-2000 guns are generally great.

The new FN made guns are much better quality on a consistent basis and are probably the best value in a gun today. I still prefer the pre-2008 trigger found on the Classic models.
Old September 8, 2012, 07:47 PM   #19
gwnorth

Winchester is nothing more then the name now. Olin owns the rights to the name as far as ammunition production goes, and Herstal Group owns the rights to Winchester Repeating Arms - so they can license or contract with whomever they wish (including their own companies, FN and Browning).

The relationship with Miroku is old though and my understanding is they'd been making shotguns for Browning for years before Herstal got the Winchester name rights, so I guess that was one natural partnership for them to go with. One thing about Miroku and cost - they apparently still do far more hand assembly/fitting and finishing than many other manufacturers (there was someone's photo's and story of a plant tour from a few years back online somewhere, but I cannot find the site now?).

And I agree Joe, as I said the model 70's are made just one state away from me. I too tend to see made in America meaning (these days) as primarily just that - made here but not necessarily by a USA headquartered company. My Honda may be a "Japanese" car, but it was made by the good people of Ohio, and their salaries certainly stayed there, not to mention the few billion Honda invested in building the plant.

But, my pair of Winchester 1892s was made in Japan - and I love them. Superbly made firearms that have been absolutely trouble free and a joy since they came home with me.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:49 AM   #20
PawPaw

Quote:
Answer to question not clear. Were Winchesters ever made in Japan?
Some Winchesters were made in Japan. The Win model 101, the Win 94, the Win 1886. the Win 92 are made in Japan. As far as I know, Winchester Model 70 rifles were either made in New Haven Conn, or Columbia, SC. The Model 70s currently produced in Columbia, SC by FN are reportedly some of the best ever produced in terms of accuracy and dependability, well in line with the best pre-64s produced in New Haven.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 9, 2012, 07:16 AM   #21
BlueTrain

These questions and comments about Winchester rifles sounds a little like one about Mausers, not to mention M1 rifles, 1911 pistols, Lugers, and so on. Is a Mauser made by FN any better or worse than one made by Mauser in Germany or a Springfield made in the US? Or any different beyond the little details? When was the last Winchester lever action designed? Fifty years ago, or whenever the Model 88, I think it was, came out.
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 9, 2012, 08:05 AM   #22
WIN1886

They might as well be done , trying to find a traditional model you want like a 1885 Low Wall or a model 1892 short rifle in 357 mag cal is like trying to find a needle in a haystack ! Besides , most places I've looked at Winchesters locally are asking the maximum MSRP price and not bargaining at all.....I'm glad I picked up a very nice 1886 extra light 45/70 years back before the prices soared ! Yes , the quality of the Miruko made 1886 is classier than my 1895 Marlin LTD V cowboy and the action is more fluidly smooth....however , the Marlin will shoot better groups with cast bullets !
Old September 9, 2012, 10:17 AM   #23
warbirdlover

I've got a Stoeger Condor O/U that was made in Brazil...

Actually the best O/U for the $$$

Obviously not a Beretta or Browning...
Old September 9, 2012, 10:34 AM   #24
PetahW

FWIW, The Winchester 94 was made only in CT, up until the factory closed the doors there & discontinued the model in 2006.

"Winchester" only recently (last 2-3years) resurrected the Model 94, via having it made in Japan by Miroku & branded "Winchester".

Smoke & Mirrors.

As previously posted, re the Model 70, read what's stamped into the barrel - it will state either New Haven, CT or Columbia, SC, both of which are still in the USA (although I hear SC is in under duress )

Old September 9, 2012, 04:09 PM   #25
jmr40

Actually the South Carolina made guns are stamped ___MADE IN USA, BACO INC. MORGAN UTAH___

BACO standing for Browing Arms Company and their corporate office is in Morgan Utah.