The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 5, 2016, 06:56 PM   #1
SwwPlayboy

Suppressor help

My knowledge of suppressor goes as far as they make things quieter so I need info. I know the process needed to get one, my issue is I don't know which to get. I have a 17 hmr that is threaded 1/2 - 28. This is where my knowledge stops. It will be used on the 17 only. So what's the quietest thing I can buy for it?

Thanks
Old October 5, 2016, 07:59 PM   #2
TXAZ

http://www.silencershop.com/ has some pretty good information on the process, and a fair number of silencers.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 5, 2016, 08:31 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I run my Ruger American rimfire in 17hmr suppressed. I currently own 6 cans (2of which are rimfires).

The 17HMR requires a can that will handle 22MAG pressures. I have a SWR Spectre II. An all Stainless can. My results with it on the 17 have been VERY good. That can lives on my 17. I use my aluminum Warrlock on all of my 22lr's

With that can on my rife the Prairie dogs dont have ANY idea im shootin at em. Ive cleaned 3 dogs off 1 hole with the second 2 just standing there wondering what happened to their buddy
Old October 5, 2016, 09:22 PM   #4
Mobuck

You probably won't be happy with one of the "mini" cans on a 17 HMR. My Form 1 1"x7"(7 baffles) can is actually quieter on the 17 than the factory made 3/4" x 8". It's far from being quiet but it's a lot less loud than the 16" HMR w/o the can.
Old October 5, 2016, 09:23 PM   #5
SwwPlayboy

I guess my next question is this. I know in the gun world certain manufactures do it better than others. So who is top dog in the silencer world, who's on the low end, and who's right in the middle?
Old October 5, 2016, 11:08 PM   #6
raimius

I would look at the AAC Element 2 or Tactical Solutions Axiom.
Old October 6, 2016, 07:26 AM   #7
Mobuck

If you're looking strictly at suppressing a 17HMR, here's something to think about.
I bought a "youth model" Ruger RAR in 17 HMR with threaded muzzle as a host. I immediately discovered the extractors aren't strong enough for this application. Using Hornady V-Max, I'd get 4-5 shots(at most) before needing a "plunk rod" to knock cases out of the chamber. The ammo worked fine w/o the can but the extra pressure and fouling when muffled caused the cases to stick enough that the extractors slipped.
I have a large supply of the Hornady ammo that is useless in this rifle(I do have a 77/17 that the ammo is fine in). The only ammo I've found that consistently extracts with the can is CCI "Green" NT which is loaded to slightly lower velocities. I only shoot the muffled rifle when I really need to since the CCI ammo is considerably more expensive than the Hornady that I bought years ago.
Maybe has no bearing on your situation but also worth knowing before making can/host decisions.

"I guess my next question is this. I know in the gun world certain manufactures do it better than others. So who is top dog in the silencer world, who's on the low end, and who's right in the middle?"

Go to Silencer Shop's website and read the specs and reviews--lots of good info there.