The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 16, 2015, 10:24 PM   #1
ATN082268

Concealable body armor

Does anyone have suggestions for concealable body armor? I live in east Tennessee and it can get pretty hot and humid here, so I'd like something which has a good balance of comfort and protection. Thank you.
Old July 17, 2015, 09:23 PM   #2
AK103K

Comfort wise, the best time to wear body armor, is in the winter.

Hot and humid? Been there, done that, and better you than me.
Old July 17, 2015, 09:54 PM   #3
Sharkbite

For soft armor designed to be worn under a shirt, i choose a level 2 vest. Somewhat lighter and thinner (more flexible) then a 3A. But, increased protection over a basic 2A.

Most of the big name brands shoot higher then the rating given. I have been involved in a cpl dozen vest shoots and have yet to see a good 2A vest be defeated by 3A threats.

I just tend to be a belt and suspenders guy...so i upped my protection a little. A good 2A vest is prob all you need in concealable armor
Old July 17, 2015, 10:31 PM   #4
TXAZ

Consider wearing polyester/ blend undershirt, the wicking effect helps some stay a little cooler.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 17, 2015, 11:51 PM   #5
JERRYS.

if you sit in A/C all the time most any level IIA (minimum threat level made) will be ok if you're properly fitted by a professional.

if you're outside in the heat and humidity forget about it. cops have been trying for decades to figure that out and the only answer is to tough it out.
Old July 18, 2015, 03:03 AM   #6
leadcounsel

I'd recommend bulletproofme.com as a reputable dealer.

Depending on your budget, there are now excellent very light weight materials that cost a lot of money but are comfortable in the heat.

But having lived in hot areas, I've worn 3A and it's hot but not miserable.
Old July 21, 2015, 02:16 AM   #7
rock185

Good luck sir. I initially wore Level IIA vests. In a hot climate, still pretty miserable in the summer. If concealability was the main criteria, I guess I'd go with the IIA. I did some informal testing with a few common handgun calibers. None penetrated the IIA vest. I did later wear a IIIA vest for over a decade, but only after I moved to a slightly cooler climate. Not so concealable, and still miserable in the summertime IMHO....
Old July 21, 2015, 05:37 AM   #8
johnelmore

Email [email protected]. These guys are the experts and will give you the best deal.