The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2011, 08:29 PM   #26
wncchester

You too!
Old April 23, 2011, 09:58 PM   #27
TGReaper

I have 7 different manuals and use them all for reference and cross checking.

The first one I purchased is a Lyman that is so old they actually show suggested "Accuracy" loads.

TGR
Old April 24, 2011, 09:59 AM   #28
MOshooter65202

I have several loading manuals from lyman to bullet manufactures as well as powder manufactures. If I start out with a new bullet I haven't reloaded before from a certain bullet manufacture I use their loading manual to get started
Old April 24, 2011, 10:57 AM   #29
Nickwisenheimer

Quote:
I have several loading manuals from lyman to bullet manufactures as well as powder manufactures. If I start out with a new bullet I haven't reloaded before from a certain bullet manufacture I use their loading manual to get started
I just bought Berry's bullets and cant find the load data for them...
Old April 24, 2011, 11:13 AM   #30
JMP

Quote:
I just bought Berry's bullets and cant find the load data for them...
I use data from Lee 2nd Edition Reloading Manual for Berry's bullets. They don't have Berry's specifically in it but they do show data for plated bullets and it's worked well for me. I load .38 special, .357, 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP with Berry's and have never had a problem with their loads.
http://www.amazon.com/Lee-2nd-Reload.../dp/B000N8OKAU
Old April 24, 2011, 11:43 AM   #31
Marco Califo

Ranier Plated Bullets

I have Ranier plated bullets in 9mm (125g) and 40SW (180g). Ranier just says "use cast bullet data". Does anyone have a good source?
Old April 24, 2011, 11:51 AM   #32
Utahar15

Accurate powder

Accurate powder

This the only guide I have found that list loads for Berry's and Ranier plated bullets, it will be their powder but a log of people like it anyhow.

Robb
Old April 24, 2011, 02:33 PM   #33
Marco Califo

Thanks Utah

Good to know 3.5 is out. I had 3.4. My pistol powders currently are Alliant, so I am trying out some Bullseye at around 5 grs. for 40 180's.
Old April 24, 2011, 05:18 PM   #34
wncchester

No credible reloading source's starting data is going to KABOOM a good condition firearm. Then, it makes no difference what their "MAX" load is, our limiting factor is OUR FIREARM, not theirs.

No manual can save us from ourselves if we ignore the instructions in them ALL to 'start low and slowly work up to book max if we don't encounter pressure signs sooner'. With that basic understanding, I can say that all reloading data is generic by powder type and bullet weight because the end result is up to us anyway. That means the data provided by Lyman, Lee, Nosler, Hornady, Hodgden, Alliant, etc, is fully as 'accurate' as any others, but no better.

Last edited by wncchester; April 24, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old April 24, 2011, 05:21 PM   #35
wncchester

Duplicate, removed.
Old April 24, 2011, 07:54 PM   #36
orionengnr

I started out ith an older Speer and an older Hornaday manual, given to me by the same friend who gave me his Dillon 450. All wer of similar vintage--late 70s.
When I bought my own 550, I upgraded both manuals to the latest of each, and returned the press and the manuals to my benefactor.

Since then, I have been buying a few of the "one book, one caliber" paperbacks from Cabelas. Only have two so far, but there are more in my future. They are only $6-7 each, and contain a large amount of info for that specific caliber. I cross-check one bullet weight and powder, and find two or three different sources, all within the one book. Adds a degree of confidence when starting with a new load.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:37 PM   #37
Nickwisenheimer

Quote:
Since then, I have been buying a few of the "one book, one caliber" paperbacks from Cabelas. Only have two so far, but there are more in my future. They are only $6-7 each, and contain a large amount of info for that specific caliber. I cross-check one bullet weight and powder, and find two or three different sources, all within the one book. Adds a degree of confidence when starting with a new load.
good idea, I have the one for the 40 s&w. this will give me a range to look at.
Old April 24, 2011, 10:30 PM   #38
5RWill

I usually go to www.reloadersnest.com see their accurate loads with what powder i want, and form my own load. The manufacture's websites are extremely good and not "too safe" like some manuals. For my load i have right now. Which it usually isn't hard to get a .308 to shoot, but i went to reloader's nest and took a look at the 175gr loads not even regarding which bullet. I had already chosen 175gr berger BT LR. Looked at how many records of good groups were recorded with varget (a good bit), then referred back to the reloading manual for powder charge, loaded up groups all @ COL of 2.800, because my previous load of 155gr scenars shot well at that length. And bam, all 5 groups shot around .5-.7 MOA with ease. And more than likely would've been much better with a more consistent shooter.