The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2007, 04:24 PM   #1
shooter_john

Small Pistol Primers for .30 Carbine

Just curious... would small pistol primers work in .30 carbine. I mean after all, it's practically a pistol round.
And while we're on the subject of 30 carbine, has anyone tried Blue Dot with them? I could load A LOT more carbine ammo if I could use pistol primers and Blud Dot...
Old July 24, 2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Rimrod

It is practically a pistol round but it is a high pressure pistol round, that is why you should stick with the rifle primers.
Old July 24, 2007, 06:03 PM   #3
crowbeaner

Even in a Ruger revolver chambered for the cartridge by all means use small rifle primers. As far as Blue Dot powder is concerned, I recommend you look in various manuals; one or more may have data. Any that I've loaded have been with H 110.
Old July 24, 2007, 06:07 PM   #4
DMZX

shooter,

I use to reload the .30 carbine and used Blue Dot a lot.

My best load was 8.0 grains under a 110 gr Speer Varmiter JHP. I tried 8.5 grains of BD, but found it a bit to warm so I dropped back to 8 grains. It was a very accurate load in my M1 carbine.

Don't ask me where I got that load data, as I do not remember.

Oh yea, I always used CCI 400 primers in LC brass.
Old July 24, 2007, 06:17 PM   #5
Trapper L

I use nothing but small pistol primers in my 30 Carbines. If you have a new Speer manual, they have data for the 357 Mag using the heavy weight bullets and small pistol primers for metallics matchs that are in the 45,000CUP range. The max pressure for a 30 Carbine is 40,000, with normal 357 Mag loads at 35,000 max. Remember, the 357 Mag was once limited at 47,000 but the advent of the flimsy Smith Sheriffs model and other cheap revolvers mandated the reduction of pressure, not a component of the ammo failure. I say load away and enjoy the shoot.
Old July 30, 2007, 11:10 PM   #6
shooter_john

I called Alliant and asked about using Blue Dot, as I figured they were a decent source. The kind gentleman I spoke with said that they do not recommend shooting .30 Carbine with Blue Dot and were not aware of any newer published data for it. Despite the fact that he said they don't recommend it, he also wasn't very adamant that I not try it either, but I haven't decided either way yet.