The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2015, 04:48 PM   #1
scottycoyote

shotgun recommendations?

ive hunted with shotguns my whole life so im not a newbie, but i was hoping to get some recommendations. I already have a turkey gun, i also have a mossberg 20g pump which is my general purpose gun for squirrels and such. What i dont have is a pretty nice over and under (or semi if thats what i should get) that could be used for sporting clays etc, and possibly for some type of upland style birdhunting should the occasion ever arise (it would be rare). I dont mind used guns or older guns, just need some models to be on the look out for....id prefer to keep it under $1000 if i can, my absolute upper limit would be $1800.

ive shot and really like the benelli super black eagle, just not sure if i should go that route or with a more traditional over/under.
Old January 5, 2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Doyle

Any of the Beretta 6?? series or Browning Citori.
Old January 5, 2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Virginian

Make up your mind. Do you want an O/U or a semi? One word of caution. A Super Black Eagle One without the recoil attenuating stock of the SBE2 is deadly on the back end with 3-1/2" shells. It was livable with 3".
If you want an O/U, I would look at the Berettas and Brownings that fit your budget and get the one you like the feel of best. I would not discount good used guns at all. Lots of guys change guns all the time like socks, just because... You can start with cheaper guns, but learning lessons can get expensive over time. There is a reason people with Berettas and Brownings are NOT looking to change. Good luck.
Old January 5, 2015, 07:02 PM   #4
BigJimP

You need to figure out the specs on a shotgun...that "fits you"....

length of pull, drop at heel, drop at come....weight, barrel length...etc...

To say look at a Browning Citori is easy ( and I like the Citori line of guns a lot ! )....but at last count Browning made at least 26 different models of the Citori ....and for me personally, only 2 or 3 of them, will fit the specs I need in a shotgun...../ and look at the Berettas as well.....but if the Citori's Fit you ...its likely the Berettas will not...or vice versa ( the Beretta will fit closer to the Browning Cynergy line of guns )....
Old January 6, 2015, 06:43 AM   #5
Blindstitch

Do you have any clay ranges near by that rent guns? It might be worth a shot. There's a local on to me that rents the brownings for $25 a day. Well worth the test drive.

I have a Mossberg 500 in 12 and 20 yet this season I hunted all pheasant season with a Savage Fox Model B in 12 gauge and had a ball. The extra weight of dragging a double around the field or woods is noticeable but easy to get use to. I like the double because I can only shoot 2 shots. Usually with a pump if I shoot twice then somehow I shoot the third even if I know I'm just out of range. My hit rate is probably 10 percent better too.
Old January 6, 2015, 08:20 AM   #6
Thunderkiss

I have the Citori Lightning in 12 ga with 26" barrels. Found it at my Sportsman's Club lightly used and it fit me great. I bought a Stoger Condor and while it is no where near a bad gun it just didn't fit me like the Citori Lightning did. I would really recommend looking at Beretta,Browning, and Ruger for an over/under. Try the different models and see how they fit.

Semi-Autos, look at the 3 B's. I love my Browning Maxus and my new A5. A lot of guys at the club are Benelli fans and I've seen how they shoot with them, pretty darn good. I think 2 guys have Semi Berettas I believe its the A400 but not 100% sure. CZ is making a good gun in the 912( should edit this, CZ doesn't actually manufacture the gun, Huglu manufactures them for CZ).

Above all, make sure the gun fits you.

Thunder
Old January 6, 2015, 09:57 AM   #7
scottycoyote

thanks guys for the input

there are some clay ranges around, ill have to check and see what they offer for rent and maybe i can get some test drives

i plan on this being a one time purchase that will hopefully round out my shotgun needs for life.
Old January 6, 2015, 10:21 AM   #8
MarkCO

Browning makes some great shotguns for your purpose. Others hit the O/U, so I will add some on their semis.

The origial "Golden Clays", if you can find one, are one of the sweetest shooting shotguns I have ever shot. I bought mine used and everyone who trys it falls in love with it, but no longer made.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=011&tid=244

Now you can get a Maxus or a Silver in an autoloader from Browning. I'd look hard at the Silver Sporting as that is the closest to what the Golden Clays was. I do not own one, but I did shoot a round of SC with one and it feels the same as my Golden Clays, just with a little less frills and stock adjustment.

If you want the pinnacle, look at a Benelli Ethos. If I was going to buy an auto-loader for Clays and upland hunting today, that would be my choice. But, I am going to SHOT in 2 weeks and there are 3 or 4 new shotguns coming out that I plan to try.
Old January 6, 2015, 02:10 PM   #9
Virginian

The Benelli Ethos is the pinnacle for inertia lovers and/or those who like to spend large quantities of money and/or who don't like the looks of more 'conventional' shotguns. I would much prefer a Remington 1100 Sporting for clays or a VersaMax, Beretta, Browning, or Winchester for a multipurpose gun.
Old January 6, 2015, 02:59 PM   #10
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I have the Citori Lightning in 12 ga with 26" barrels. Found it at my Sportsman's Club lightly used and it fit me great. I bought a Stoger Condor and while it is no where near a bad gun it just didn't fit me like the Citori Lightning did. I would really recommend looking at Beretta,Browning, and Ruger for an over/under. Try the different models and see how they fit.

Semi-Autos, look at the 3 B's. I love my Browning Maxus and my new A5. A lot of guys at the club are Benelli fans and I've seen how they shoot with them, pretty darn good. I think 2 guys have Semi Berettas I believe its the A400 but not 100% sure. CZ is making a good gun in the 912( should edit this, CZ doesn't actually manufacture the gun, Huglu manufactures them for CZ).

Above all, make sure the gun fits you.

Thunder

In your price range the Citori's are very nice options.

Here's my review of the Micro Midas that fits a lot of smaller statured shooters
Old January 6, 2015, 04:21 PM   #11
MarkCO

Shoot an Ethos and you will like.

I have really enjoyed my VMs, and they might be the best all-around shotgun on the market, but unless I read the OP wrong, he is looking more for Clay and upland. I'd not suggest the VM for that, but maybe the new Remington V3.
Old January 6, 2015, 08:53 PM   #12
Virginian

I haven't actually shot an Ethos, but as long as I had to look at it I would be unhappy. I have shot all the other Benellis. I just don't like inertia guns. I did not say they do not work with their intended loads.
Old January 6, 2015, 08:58 PM   #13
FITASC

With an upper limit of $1800, you are hampering your efforts for a TARGET O/U. The Beretta SP1, as mentioned, can be had in a field version for somewhere in that area, BUT if the use is strictly for clays within that amount, I would look for a semi. The A400s get great reviews, as do a few others in that range. While only one barrel, a LM will kill 95% of the typical sporting clay targets you are likely to encounter - even at registered shoots where they tend to be harder - and you can get "more gun value for the same money" than you will in an O/U at the same price point.

I own O/U, SxS and semis. Currently, my gas gun just seems to fit me better even though I have added some weight (groan) from the holidays. This aspect is especially important as one game I pursue is my screen namesake (FITASC) which necessitates a low gun mount so my unfortunate added girth makes my O/U not the best choice at the moment.

Whichever way you go, you will want a TARGET version, not the field version, of the model you decide on. I would urge you to go to your local club and ask/beg/borrow as many guns as you can - even those outside of your initial budget - so you can learn and understand why folks buy those high dollar guns they do and why they are worth the cost. If you stick with clay games, you will eventually get there...... and by then you'll know why!

Good luck in your quest and welcome to a serious addiction.
Old January 7, 2015, 12:14 AM   #14
Thunderkiss

Very good review plouffedaddy. If money were not an object I would have a Krieghoff, but as it stands I'm happy with the Citori.
Old January 7, 2015, 04:46 AM   #15
Virginian

FITASC makes a very good point about cost value relative to repeaters versus two barrel guns. Your requirement for mostly clay pigeons, but also field bird hunting makes a big impact, too. A gas semi is going to be able to do both much easier/better, as it won't need the weight to make it shootable over lots of rounds like an O/U, and whereas most clay games are shot pre-mounted, field bird hunting is not.
Also, beware ported barrel guns. On a range it won't make a huge impact because everyone will be wearing hearing protection, but in the field a lot of people, me included, find them very objectionable. I won't get into the highly disputed benefits of porting.
Lastly, how much shooting you intend to do is a consideration. A really good target O/U is built to go hundreds of thousands of rounds, and many are built to be re-buildable relatively easily as well. I have an 1100 with over 115,000 rounds through it, and it is nowhere near done in, but that's pretty light duty as target guns go.
If all you want is a nice O/U for a moderate amount of shooting, a Browning or Beretta O/U will definitely do you, but a target model may get heavy lugging it around in the field, and a field model may start to get feeling like it is beating up on you on targets. When you get to gas semis, the choices get more open, and all are well within your budget. A Remington 1100 is on the heavy end of the scale, but they are not too heavy in the field for me, even after over 50 years, and I am in far worse shape now than I was when I started, after a bout with cancer and two heart attacks. The gun still looks and acts almost like new. The Berettas also have an excellent reputation, and I also think some of the Brownings combine good looks and reliability - I don't do plastic or flat or camo.
Again, sincere good luck.
Old January 7, 2015, 08:01 AM   #16
darkgael

Weight

Quote:
ave a Mossberg 500 in 12 and 20 yet this season I hunted all pheasant season with a Savage Fox Model B in 12 gauge and had a ball. The extra weight of dragging a double around the field or woods is noticeable but easy to get use to. I like the double because I can only shoot 2 shots. Usually with a pump if I shoot twice th
Weight?
Mossberg 500 12 gauge, unloaded = 7.5lbs
Savage Fox model B 12 gauge = 7.5lbs.
Old January 7, 2015, 02:01 PM   #17
Blindstitch

Quote:
Weight?
Mossberg 500 12 gauge, unloaded = 7.5lbs
Savage Fox model B 12 gauge = 7.5lbs.
Just weighed it and the Fox comes out 8.8 the way I have it set up. But it could also be due to the front end weighing more than the back. I can tell you after 4 hours in the field my left arm can tell the difference.
Old January 7, 2015, 05:51 PM   #18
darkgael

Wow

Wow. That is a heavy SXS. I wouldn't make it up the first hill.
I wonder if that isn't the Super Fox waterfowl gun which weighed about as you say.
The Upland gun was about seven.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; January 7, 2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old January 7, 2015, 06:24 PM   #19
Virginian

Fox and Savage/Stevens Fox are two different animals.
Old January 7, 2015, 06:40 PM   #20
Blindstitch

Now a Super Fox sounds fun. But no it's a BSE-c model from I think the middle 80's. I weighed it on a digital scale alone and holding it subtracting my weight and it was the same.

If I can ever fine another one at a reasonable price in 20 gauge i'm going to buy it. I've seen the 12's ranging from $350-1100.

This is the first year I hunted with it and so far I got 1 quail, 3 squirrels and 13 pheasants. In the beginning I had to force my self to remember I didn't have to do anything between shots compared to the pump.