The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 1, 2006, 10:03 PM   #1
coolridelude

Rich Lucibella got a few ?

Rich Lucibella,

from what i have read you hunt with dogs when you take boar. am i right?

What are good dog breeds for hunting hogs or what breeds are used for hogs?

if i am correct i have read that you sometimes hunt with only a knife and your dog and kill hogs, how did you learn? who taught you? is there info or books on how to do it?

What kind of knife do you use?

a few years ago my instructor of martial arts told us and showed us how to jump over javalinas. it was part of our training. we did it only if we felt we were ready. they were about 150lb. i have only heard about taking a boar with a knife.

i don't know if i could but i would like to read about it, and if time if i can find someone to teach me or something i would like to try maybe.

when i first went hunting deer learned a little from family members, in the end when we went i could not shoot, next year i got over it and took my shot.

i have shot a few deer in my life and a few hogs.
Old January 2, 2006, 09:31 AM   #2
youp

I cannot answer for Rich, but I have been there and done that. Usually Plott hounds or a Cur dog is used to trail and bay the hog. Please notice that Cur dog is capitolized, these are distinct breeds of dogs that hunt with a different style than hounds. They generally use the wind born scent and eyes alittle more than hounds.

After a hog is bayed you slip up and decide if you want him or not. A top quality bay dog will set the boar hogs down. It has to do with dog teeth and the location of the hogs testicals. If the decision is made to catch it a 'catch dog' is released. These are usually pit bulls or pit crosses. They almost always have a cut vest on, these a kevlar vests buckled on the top and cover the dogs under side.

The catch dogs grab an ear and hang on. The hog will pound the dogs underside with his tusks and this is where the vests come in. After the dogs have the hog caught you may catch the hog yourself, pick up its back legs or you may stick it. A good sheath knife works just fine.

This is not for the faint of heart and you better have an eye on the hog and another on a tree. If the dogs fail to hold the hog or fail to catch it you may become the hunted, fortunately for hog hunters, hogs cannot climb. A hog will cut you if he gets the chance.

You really need to go on a hunt in the swamps of the southeast.
Old January 2, 2006, 10:24 AM   #3
MeekAndMild

Might grapple for some catfish while you are there.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 2, 2006, 11:35 AM   #4
FirstFreedom

Do you stick it in the head, neck, or vitals youp? I think I'd just shoot it after the dogs bay it up. Cartridges are within my disposable income these days. A dog with a kevlar vest - tee hee, sounds like fun.
Old January 2, 2006, 12:19 PM   #5
coolridelude

youp

thanks for the info. i will research more into it.

what is in the swamps?

when i was betwwen 16-18 i use to catch rattles snakes with my friends uncle. he made wallets with there skin. we caught a lot of 6 footers.
Old January 2, 2006, 07:06 PM   #6
Long Path

Quote:
a few years ago my instructor of martial arts told us and showed us how to jump over javalinas. it was part of our training. we did it only if we felt we were ready. they were about 150lb. i have only heard about taking a boar with a knife.
They sure weren't javelinas, then. A 50 lb javelina is a good sized one, with 70 lbs being extreme (unheard of) top end of their size. ~40 lbs is common. Either the weight estimate is off by a factor of about 3X, or the animal was misidentified.

Staff alumnus Rob did some hog hunting by knife a few years back (has it really been 6 years since he posted on that? Gawd, we're getting old...). I hadn't heard of Rich doing it, but his experiences are (to say the least) mighty varied.
Old January 2, 2006, 08:29 PM   #7
coolridelude

thanks Long Path. i guess i was misinformed. but i did happen.

maybe i got the wrong person. i thought i did read that Rich did hunt like that. let me go read again.
Old January 2, 2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Harley Quinn

coolridelude

If you find that thread again could you post it? I would like to read it myself.

Harley
Old January 2, 2006, 09:44 PM   #9
Long Path

From over 7 years ago!!
Old January 2, 2006, 09:48 PM   #10
H&H,hunter

Rich had a catahoulla named Miko whom he was in the process of training as a hog dog. catahoullas are bay dogs for the most part. Miko was killed last week. My condolences to Rich. Rich mainly hunts hogs by the spot and stock method as do I now that my last good dog was killed last year. I am working on a new pup as we speak.

I use a dog called a Jadgterrier. They are a German breed and are bred especially for hog hunting. They bay and will catch. They weigh about 25 lbs and there secret is in there speed and ferocity. They will play "matador" with a hog and bite him in the testicles or the hams or even the face until the hog tires of running and will just spin and scream. That's when the big redneck comes in with a cold steel assegai spear and puts an end to the whole process.

Old January 3, 2006, 10:47 PM   #11
Harley Quinn

Long Path

Thanks for the thread, 7 years? Wow. Rob and his group sure had some good luck (skill).

H&H
Now thats a KNIFE, uh spear, uh sharp bladed instrument of death. LOL.

Dogs come and go, but they are neat to have around, sorry Rich.

Harley
Old January 7, 2006, 01:36 AM   #12
Rich Lucibella
Staff

CoolRide-
Nope, never hunted hogs with a knife. As LongPath points up, that was Rob. Youp's description of this type of hunt is spot on.

As H&H states, we hunt with dogs, but not in the traditional sense. A single dog hunting hogs is dangerous business....better two or more. In my case as in H&H's, Miko was raised as a tracker, but they're primarily used for baying. For my own part, I'd prefer to find the hogs myself and use the pup to track them after the shot. Still, the Catahoula and Jadgterrier are born to bay; and one would probably have to break the best of breed to keep them from doing that which they love.

Miko had not yet gone up against a full grown boar, so I don't know how he'd have fared. But he was fearless. He was killed on December 17th by a car on a country road in Lakeland, FL. He was not yet 10 months old. He will be daily missed for a very, very long time.
Rich

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tx_mule_deer_web.jpg (80.9 KB, 221 views)
Old January 7, 2006, 01:49 AM   #13
impact

Sorry to hear about your dog Rich. Good looking dog!
Old January 7, 2006, 02:28 AM   #14
coolridelude

it was a post in the archives. sorry Rich, for directing the question to you, my mistake. can you forgive me?

sorry about your dog.
Old January 7, 2006, 09:57 AM   #15
shureshot0471

the best hog dog would have to be pits as catch dogs and keers or redbones for bay dogs never have done it and never going to do it my buddies that do it use a bowie knife me personaly I think you are crazy for doing it and you will get your self hurt be careful
- Ted Nugent