The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 22, 2008, 08:51 AM   #1
jcjr3020

Differnces between pre and post AccuTrigger savage

Can anybody inform me on the major differences between pre and post AccuTrigger savage rifles, other than top rear of old action is flat?
Old November 22, 2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The trigger cutouts are different so you can't install an Accutrigger in the older receiver without having some milling done to the receiver. The change in receiver allows the same scope ring mount to be used at both ends of the scope. I am unaware of any other significant major differences. Some minor ones, like the Classic line's smooth barrel nut (there is a wrench tooth notch on the underside) have been added. The adjustable headspace feature of the barrel nut is still there. The pivoting changeable bolt face is still there. Those are the two features that serve most to aid in mechanical accuracy, while the new trigger system aids in practical accuracy.

If a better trigger is the only thing that really interests you, a good replacement trigger is available from Sharp Shooter Supply, sold as their Competition trigger, which is available for either Accutrigger or pre-Accutrigger actions.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 23, 2008, 08:10 PM   #3
jcjr3020

Thanks for the info, one reason i was wondering was when i got my pre Accutrigger savage model 11 i did not hear that much about savage, and since the Accutrigger has been out i hear all kinds of good things about savage. I was wondering if they changed a bunch of stuff or does every body just love the Accutrigger that much. The other reason was that i was thinking of getting a thumbhole stock for it and i was checking to see it it made a difference pre or post Accutrigger. I dont think it does, the only thing Boyds is saying is that savage changed center to center meserments on mounting bolts, but i thank that has been since the Accutrigger has been out. Thanks for all the info.
Old November 23, 2008, 09:18 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Savages made before the AccuTrigger are just as accurate as the later ones.

The AccuTrigger is a rather odd duck. It really doesn't improve the trigger pull, it just allows an adjustable trigger to be set light enough to be dangerous. Without the AccuTrigger, if the trigger is set too light, the gun could fire accidentally. But with the AccuTrigger, if the sear does release without a finger on the trigger, it is stopped before it releases the firing pin.

In other words, it serves one of the purposes of the half-cock notch in hammer guns - to prevent accidental firing if the gun is jarred or the main hammer notch lets go.

Jim
Old November 23, 2008, 09:52 PM   #5
jcjr3020

thanks for the info jim
Old November 24, 2008, 02:05 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

That's a good way to look at it. I and another pre-Accutrigger 10FP owner I know have both had at discharges on closing the bolt (with the gun down range in each instance, fortunately). Adjusting the trigger weight heavier stopped the problem. The Accutrigger would have made that adjustment unnecessary.
Old November 26, 2008, 08:50 PM   #7
jcjr3020

300 win mag.

Hey guys, stoped by the local pawn shop the other day, he had savage 111 in 300 win mag with wood stock, cheap Bushnell scope ,and a couple of love marks on it nothing to bad. No accutrriger but it is newer than my .308 because it had the newer receiver that takes the same scope mounts. He told me $250 that price sounds good, i dont know if something is wrong or he is just trying to move it. what do you all think?
Old November 27, 2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Sounds good. If you don't like the factory trigger follow the link in my first post in this thread. If you know someone with a bore scope, see if you can get a look in the bore to check the condition of the throat?