The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 29, 1999, 09:53 PM   #1
Jonathan Chenault

I just got a new shotgun. So, me and my fiend decided to go and shoot it a couple times.(you know how it is).We were really carful as to where we went to shoot. We went to this swampy land that floods alot that is government owned. So, we're shooting and this guy in an old beatup truck pulls up. hes goes"do you know whos land you're shooting on?". Me and my friend were polite and told him we did not know. he then went on to tell us that we shouldnt hunt on other peoples land. We told him that we were not hunting that we were just shooting this new shotgun at a tree. my friend then asked him if he owned the land. He replied by telling us that we were scaing off all the deer and that it was a fellony to shoot on others property. Me and my friend are only fifteen and we didnt want to start anything so we politely left and did not question the man. About thirty minutes later the man is on the same spot we were shooting a twelve guage. he couldnt have been deer hunting either because he fired about ten or twelve shots in less thatn two miinutes.
People are weird!

------------------
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me
Phil 4:13
Old December 29, 1999, 11:16 PM   #2
dw

Jonathon,
Good choice on leaving when the guy approached you. It would probably be in your best intrest to shoot somewhere that u do have permission. Although u were doing no harm, it is not worth getting in trouble for. As far as the guy going there to shoot his gun, well he was probably trying to make u mad or something dumb like that.

ps.
congrats on your new purchase!!! what kind of shotgun did u buy? just curious

derek workman
Old December 30, 1999, 07:48 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yeah, dw's comment was right: Avoid hassles, even when you're not wrong. Dealing with idiots and mean people is difficult, even for old guys like me.

Looking ahead, I have some suggestions: Go out to various farms in your area. Talk to the owner, explaining that you're looking for a place to shoot--and that you'd be willing to trade some help for him in return.

The odds are that you will find one or two places for "just shooting", and maybe, also, a place to hunt. First time out, of course, I wouldn't bring up hunting.

By the way, those hand-trap clay-bird throwers are inexpensive, and a case of clay-birds is reasonably priced. Always remember to pick up your empties, and police up the larger pieces of claybirds.

Ask at your gun store about shooting ranges and clubs. You'll find that most guys will be happy to help you get started in being "really good" with a shotgun...

Best regards, Art
Old January 1, 2000, 05:09 PM   #4
Jonathan Chenault

thanks for you advice ya'll. I appreciate it.

jonathan