The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 6, 2014, 01:57 PM   #1
gyvel

Opinions on Leupold Scopes

OK, guys, in your experiences are some Leupold scopes better than others.

By that, I mean are there any turkeys hiding in the bushes?
Old July 6, 2014, 02:06 PM   #2
603Country

I'm a Leupold scope fan, though I have some Burris, Bushnell, and Vortex. Most of my scopes are '3's' as in VariX-III and VX3, and I've had only great luck with them. I have one VX2 on a 223 and it's very nice also, though I do now know that I prefer the VX3. I have no experience with VX1's or the Rifleman scope lines.

I just sent two of my older scopes off to Leupold for new reticles. Turnaround time was short and they refreshed some of the scope innards. They have been great to work with.
Old July 6, 2014, 03:13 PM   #3
HiBC

Pretty much same as 603.

I have only used the level 3 scopes,and have been very happy.One of my favorites is an FX 3 6x by 42 mm.

Ditto on customer service.

I have tried a number of over $200 scopes of other brands,tying to get off cheap.Most have ended up being given away,or laying on a shelf,replaced with a Leupold.

Not saying there are no other good scopes,of course there are,but if I buy an upper line Leupold,I know I'm done.
Old July 6, 2014, 03:15 PM   #4
wogpotter

Just watch out for the Chinese counterfeits!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 6, 2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Peter M. Eick

Same as above.

I buy all VXIII and was given a VXII. Never had a problem, like the quality and they have never had an issue. Great investments.
Old July 6, 2014, 05:44 PM   #6
gyvel

I just got a nice rifle in .270, which is a new caliber to me. A couple posters have suggested using the Leupold 4X fixed power scope that I already have, but that seems to listed as being for .22 rifles, and I'm a bit concerned that it wouldn't take the recoil of the .270. I was thinking more along the lines of a 3-9.
Old July 6, 2014, 05:45 PM   #7
gyvel

Quote:
Just watch out for the Chinese counterfeits!
You mean the "Leupoids?"
Old July 6, 2014, 07:15 PM   #8
jmr40

Probably the best hunting scope for the money. They tend to be the lightest made. Have great eye relief for fast shots and are tougher than woodpecker lips. You will find some scopes with equal or maybe even better glass in the same price range, but all things considered are my go to choice.
Old July 6, 2014, 07:28 PM   #9
jmr40

Quote:
I just got a nice rifle in .270, which is a new caliber to me. A couple posters have suggested using the Leupold 4X fixed power scope that I already have, but that seems to listed as being for .22 rifles, and I'm a bit concerned that it wouldn't take the recoil of the .270. I was thinking more along the lines of a 3-9.
Years ago fixed power scopes were know to be more rugged and dependable than early variables. Not really the case today although some still trust fixed power scopes more. They may be more rugged in some cheaper brands, but you won't have a problem with a Leupold variable.

I'm not a fan of the fixed power scopes. I find 4X to be too much magnification 90% of the time. I usually use variables in the 1-4X, 2-7X or 3-9X range with more in the 2-7X class. I almost always use the lowest power setting. If I need more magnification, I go straight to the highest setting and never use anything in between.

Either will have no issues with recoil from a 270.
Old July 6, 2014, 08:22 PM   #10
trigger643

I've had a number of Leupolds over the years. They are good scopes at a reasonable price point.
Old July 7, 2014, 05:19 AM   #11
gyvel

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the fixed power scopes. I find 4X to be too much magnification 90% of the time. I usually use variables in the 1-4X, 2-7X or 3-9X range with more in the 2-7X class. I almost always use the lowest power setting. If I need more magnification, I go straight to the highest setting and never use anything in between.
You may be on to something with a 1-4. For literally decades I have resisted the use of a scope, but my eyes are now too bad for any type of open sights. However, a 1 power optical device just might be the ticket. Thanks for that suggestion.
Old July 7, 2014, 09:36 AM   #12
Unlicensed Dremel

Turkeys? No.

Good to great: There are many MANY lines and variables, but yes of course.

Value? Depends. Always a decent to good value because you know what you're getting, but not the best value in many circumstances, depending on specific product niche/requirements you have. However, on "big boomers" that often kill scopes, then *great* value, due to warranty. Any bottlenecked rifle round that starts with a ".3xx" or larger number, or any rifle round with a ".4xx" or larger, ideally needs a Loopy or Vortex, with the best warranties going, if not going super-premium, that is.

Quote:
You may be on to something with a 1-4. For literally decades I have resisted the use of a scope, but my eyes are now too bad for any type of open sights. However, a 1 power optical device just might be the ticket. Thanks for that suggestion.
Go for it. Within days, you'll be bumping it to the three most useful stops along the scale that there are: 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5x, for most uses. The Leupold VX-1, 1-4x20 is a great scope @ around $210-$220. Small, light, durable, long eye relief, and good glass. It's one of my favorites and a top value. If you can, get a Nikon Omega/TurkeyPro/Slugmaster in the 1.65-5x36mm version from Natchez Shooters Supply before this discontinued scope dries up - you'll be in high cotton.
Old July 9, 2014, 01:11 AM   #13
bamaranger

big fan

I'm a big fan. I'd have to stop and count the number of Leupolds I'm running, maybe 8-10. Never had one back for service due to failure. And my rifles get shot a bit, club matches, long 100 day+ deer season, etc. All mine are "2's". and all but one were bought or swapped for used. About half or more are fixed power numbers.

Regards rimfires, Leupold does make a family of scopes intended for .22's. They are typically marked, "Rimfire, or RF, or Rimfire Special" something like that. They are also rather small, easily spotted next to a full size scope.

I wouldn't want a rimfire scope on a .270 for a couple of reasons, but resistance to recoil wouldn't be one of them. But I do believe that a full size fixed 4x, intended for centerfire, is still a useful item. Me, I wouldn't run out and buy a variable if I had a Leupold fixed 4x, full size, if I was hunting east of the MS for deer, hogs, or B-bear, unless....... I was in a setting where I did a lot of hunting/shooting over open areas; right of ways, ag fields, or low cutover. A bit more "X" power there might help. I'm a fan of fixed 6x BTW for that very reason.

But.... I made my longest shot to date on a whitetail on a gas line R.O.W. with a fixed 4x and a .308. Seeing and holding on the deer was no problem, but figuring out my hold, over distance and down a severe grade, was. More X power would not have helped, I needed more brain power.
Old July 9, 2014, 01:27 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

I've had all kinds of optics... Bausch and Lomb, Tasco, Burris, Bushnell, Redfield (multiple eras), Weavers, Leupolds, Simmons, and on down the line. And I've had some time working with Nikons and a bit with Zeiss, as well.

Right now, there are 2 Tasco scopes (both on rimfires), a Burris reflex sight, and a Redfield Revenge (Filipino) in my safe. Everything else is Leupold, or Redfield Revolution (built by Leupold); with the Leupolds ranging from the old Vari-X line, to the current VX-3.

If I care, the rifle gets a Leupold. If the rifle is a thumper, it gets a Leupold.
If it's just, "That'll do..." then I might go a little cheaper.

They give me everything I need, with no complaints. And if there's ever a problem, it's covered.
Old July 9, 2014, 07:32 AM   #15
Doyle

I've got several Leupolds and love all of them. The only Leupold I'd tell anyone to avoid is the Rifleman series. They just aren't worth the money. You are paying $200 there for a $50 scope and a $150 lifetime warranty. Spend $100 more and move up to the VX series.
Old July 9, 2014, 11:14 PM   #16
JimDandy

There are two scope brands right now I'd buy. Leupold is one, and I agree don't get the "worst" of the best, and don't get the best of the best. Get the middle.

The other brand I'd get is Vortex. They're making some great glass, and take a fair chunk of Leupold's market share.
Old July 10, 2014, 02:00 AM   #17
gyvel

This is all great info, guys! Keep it coming. The scope will go on a .270 CZ 550fs.
Old July 10, 2014, 02:33 AM   #18
bamaranger

more

I've got a friend, who suffered a house fire a few years back (second pal that went through that misery). Pal #2 is a member of this forum. A very avid and knowledgeable shooter. I've heard from mutual acquaintances helping him out salvaging his guns and gear afterwards, that the Leupold scopes in his possession that came through the fire were a train wreck cosmetically, but still usable. All other scopes were trashed.

Lots of possible variable reasons for that, but still, Leupolds are one tough scope.
Old July 10, 2014, 08:48 AM   #19
skoro

Opinions on Leupold Scopes

I have two Leupolds and although they haven't been subjected to hard usage, I like the clarity of the optics and the smooth mechanics. I understand they have very good customer service but I've never needed to use it.
Old July 10, 2014, 09:14 AM   #20
ammo.crafter

L scopes

I am still using an ancient Leupold 7 1/2 fixed power scope on an ancient Remington #600 in .222. This scope remains crystal clear today as it was almost 40 years ago.
Old July 10, 2014, 11:12 AM   #21
Captains1911

I just noticed Leupold is running a rebate program, $50 all VX-2 line scopes during the month of August. Just thought I'd share.
Old July 28, 2014, 11:55 PM   #22
Clark

I was really into guns at age 3. I failed to wear my cap guns in my holsters one day when I was 5, but I was still into it.
I hunted every day with a BB gun when I was 10 and every day with a pellet gun when I was 12.
I was as fast with a 12 ga when I was 14 as kids are today with video games.

I started chasing girls.
When I got old and ugly at age 40, all I owned was a 12 ga, a 22, and 30-06.
I was reading about guns on usenet rec.guns in 1991.
I started buying guns.
On that forum they talked about Leupold scopes.
It thought they were way too expensive.
I could get a used Weaver K-4 for $20.

I had an email buddy in the 1990s that a web page called "the cheap scope page"
In there was the question, "What to do with a cheap scope?"
answer #1: use it as a tent stake.
answer #2: give it to someone you don't like.

Eventually I learned to avoid; cheap scopes, cheap bullets, cheap brass, cheap powder, cheap barrels, cheap stocks, cheap bipods, cheap range finders, cheap GPSs, cheap binoculars, cheap tires, cheap shoes, cheap knives, cheap lathes, cheap drills, cheap flashlights, cheap vehicles, cheap screw drivers, .....

The #1 reason to avoid cheap stuff is not that it may be a waste of money or time. It may be a waste of opportunity or enthusiasm.

Every rifle I build, I put a Leupold on it.
Every deer I shoot, I shoot it with a Leupold.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?