The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 9, 2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Firetamer23

New to the gun world.... Have a couple questions

Hey forum what's up, I am just getting into owning guns, I recently purchased my first handgun. I bought a s&w40ve sigma series, I enjoy this handgun a lot, feels good in my hands and after putting a few hundred rounds through it already with no jams or hiccups, I would say its reliable. I would like to know what can I do to make this handgun better if possible, can I do it myself or should I take it to a gunsmith. What would be another handgun that is reliable, powerful, and fun to shoot. Iam hoping to learn a lot more about handguns so that in the future I can start collecting.

Any help would be cool, or advice on owning, buying or shooting would be appreciated.
Old January 9, 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Marty Hayes

The handgun doesn't need to be better. But what I believe needs to occur, is that you spend the money you would have spent for another gun, or for modifying this one, to get some good training. Anyone new to guns needs training, to be responsible in our society. A feww generations ago, dads passed down their gun knowledge to their sons, (and sometimes daughters). Since that doesn't occur for the most part, the responsible new gun owner seeks out and pays for professional training.
Old January 9, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

The Sigmas aren't really worth spending any money on beyond highly visible sights. Not much else you can do with them anyway.

As for other powerful & reliable pistols, look around. The country's full of 'em.

If you want to stay S&W, look at their M&P Series, much better than the Sigma.
Denis
Old January 9, 2012, 12:41 PM   #4
CWKahrFan

Quote:
What would be another handgun that is reliable, powerful, and fun to shoot. Iam hoping to learn a lot more about handguns so that in the future I can start collecting.
What are you thinking? "Bigger" than your Sigma... Smaller?... Different caliber?... Maybe a revolver?... Mostly range shooting?... Conceal carry gun?... Give us a few hints...

And here's a link to genitron to help you browse...

http://www.genitron.com/HandgunDB/DB...h-Handguns.asp
Old January 9, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5
kraigwy

Nothing wrong with a Sigma. best way to improve it is tons of dry firing and practice.

Other then that leave it alone.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 9, 2012, 01:04 PM   #6
k511

threw a grip sleeve on mine to make it a little more comfortable, and some TruDot night sights, other than that i would let her be... others to look at of similar style would be the M&P, Glock, XD(m)......

+1 to what Marty said about the training.....a great investment
Old January 9, 2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

The best advice I can give you?

Start reading the threads in the three handgun forums here at TFL.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 9, 2012, 03:47 PM   #8
trex1310

Look at a Glock 31 in .357 Sig. It's very powerful, reliable and
reasonably priced.
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg
Old January 9, 2012, 04:40 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

+1 to what Marty Hayes said. I'm not familiar with the handgun you have so yes, there may be some improvements such as sights, etc. However, the biggest improvement you can make is within yourself. Practice, become familiar with your weapon and then practice, practice and practice. As suggested, take some lessons at a range or similar location. I try to get as much training as I can and you have to go with an open mind and listen to what is being said and demonstrated. I figure that if I leave a class or training session with just one thing, then it's been well worth the time and money.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new handgun!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 9, 2012, 04:56 PM   #10
C0untZer0

Well I have to say the obligatory "you should take classes".

But anyway, if you like to modify guns, I personally think the easiest gun to do that with is the Glock.

I got my Glock mainly as a range toy but also so I could have fun modifying it. The Glocks are modular and I think there is more after-market stuff for Glocks than any other handgun, and it's stuff you don't need a gunsmith for - which is more funner. Drop in barrels, compensators, gazillions of different trigger kits, connectors, strikers, springs, sights - you name it. At least two companies who make alternate frames and a few companies who make slides, including .22 conversion kits. When it comes to conversion, you can start with a large caliber model and get conversions for .40, 357 Sig, 9mm. There are also carbine conversion kits out there so you can have a 16" barrel...

A lot of stuff you can do with a Glock.

It depends on what you like doing too... I like bullseye shooting, just the art of using iron sights and shooting off hand. I like my Ruger .22 for that as well as my Glock 17L. And because I really enjoy doing that, I'm tending toward getting a Tanfoglio Gold Match pistol.

I also like getting guns which is why I'd like to get a Beretta 86, Glock 25, and IMBEL 380's - those guns are probably not great choices for either self defense or bullseye shooting but I just want them.
Old January 9, 2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Steviewonder1

+2 on what Marty said and Mike also had good info. Reading lots of information can start forming opinions for you. When you keep getting consistent information about a given subject, it usually is good info. After you get more familiar with your gun do get some training. There are lots of schools to get training from. Start with basic training like what is needed to do CCW. Then look at one of the more advanced schools that teach Personal Protection Skills AKA Gun Fighting Skills. They are pricey but there are some really good ones out there. BTW, no one school has all the answers or tactics. I am always looking to improve my skills in additional schools. In the last year and a half I have taken 4 Gunfighting schools. I have been shooting in competetion since 1991 and have a very good background in guns, shooting and reloading. The words "Dry Fire" are some of the most important to remember. Good Luck and stay safe!
Old January 9, 2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Young.Gun.612

First thing you should do is send it back to S&W and have them clean up the trigger. Tell them it feels gritty and they'll polish it up for you, no charge for the service or shipping. I had mine back less than two weeks from when i shipped it. If yours is as bad as mine was, you'll notice how much smoother it is right away. Won't do anything about how heavy the trigger is though.

I also just bought a Pachmayr rubber grip sleeve for it, and it feels so much better. My hands tend to get sweaty, and coupled with snappy recoil led to some problems. Gonna have to wait til next payday to see how much of a difference it makes.
Old January 9, 2012, 06:15 PM   #13
jimbob86

Quote:
What would be another handgun that is reliable, powerful, and fun to shoot.
Most of them that are 9mm and larger in caliber and are not made of plastic and or aluminum would fit that bill.

Were I you, I'd find a 1911 in 9mm..... unless you are independly wealthy- then go ahead and get it in .45ACP.
Old January 9, 2012, 06:21 PM   #14
Sgt.Fathead

Welcome to TFL. I am always curious when I see a person's first firearm purchase. The Sigma series are fine handguns for the price point and I agree with some of the other members that this model needs little improvement. The vast majority of well made modern firearms are more accurate than the shooters who use them, myself included.

I strongly suggest, as others above have, that you both read and interact on these forums and seek out a basic firearms handling or basic self defense with firearms class, perhaps a basic NRA class to start. You have a serviceable handgun in a more than adequate caliber for defense. I always suggest additional magazines as they are the weakest point of the machine that is a semi-automatic pistol, as well.

I do not agree that the Glock, or any other arm, in .357 SIG is a viable choice for a second handgun. Like .41 Magnum, 5.7mm and .50AE, it is a rarefied caliber that has it's adherents but is not as widely supported as 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP or even .380, .32 or .25 in semi-auto.

Perhaps another .40S&W for comparison like a Glock 23 or an upgrade to the M&P series of pistols. There's a multitude of ammunition to sample and test as well as you master your Sigma.

Good luck, good shooting!
Old January 9, 2012, 10:35 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Welome to TFL!

Since you are just starting out to learn about handguns, I recommend you do a lot of reading and a little thinking about the what and why of different guns and calibers, before buying what "everyone" says is a good gun.

Your wants, and needs could be much different than theirs.

One thing to consider is a .22LR (.22 Long Rifle - that's the name of the cartridge, it can be found in a huge variety of handguns and rifles. Its the common .22 rimfire today). The .22 is the cheapest ammo out there, has very light recoil and isn't terribly loud. Its the standard round for teaching new shooters, and has been for well over 100 years. And its a pretty good small game round as well. Plus its fun!'

For most people, getting skilled with a handgun means shooting a lot, and being able to shoot a few hundred times to practice sight alignment, breath and trigger control, etc. for the cost of one box of .40 cal is a good thing in my book.

There's tons of info out there, beware of information overload. Just take things a little bit at a time, and when you have questions, drop by TFL and ask. Odds are real good somebody here can give you a good answer.

Welcome to TFL, and enjoy!
Old January 10, 2012, 07:20 PM   #16
microman

You can lighten the trigger on the Sigma, to improve it.

Quote:
What would be another handgun that is reliable, powerful, and fun to shoot.
Why not take a look at revolvers? you already have an auto now.
Old January 10, 2012, 07:32 PM   #17
jimbob86

Quote:
Why not take a look at revolvers? you already have an auto now.
....and one with a trigger pull as heavy and long as a revolver's .....