The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 10, 2014, 11:01 PM   #1
Gbnk82

Ria m206 trade?

So I am considering trading a sks I have with some aftermarket mags and I was offered a like new ria m206 snub.being I don't know much about revolvers as I am just getting into them I would like to know peoples opinions on the relative cheap revolvers.also I want to know I'm not getting stiffed on this deal I would be trading the sks with 4 aftermarket mags for the m206 a handful of corbon 38+p and $125 cash.

Some other info I would not plan to be using this for a carry gun it would be strictly range duty and would probably fill the roll of a glove box gun for me.
Thanks in advance for anyone's info or opinions on this
Old April 10, 2014, 11:14 PM   #2
Bezoar

its a decent gun, but everything ive seen is that the Rock Island Armory 38 special revolver is 38 SPECIAL only. not +p.

right now the handful of corbon ammo is typically 26 dollars per box of 20. so say 6 dollars in ammunition, 125 dollars cash, plus a typically 180 dollar handgun.

if it locks up good and ejects well, id take it. but im not a fan of semi auto rifles. other hten the original BAR, garand and m1 carbine.
Old April 10, 2014, 11:17 PM   #3
Gbnk82

That's something else I was wondering but couldn't find it confirmed anywhere is whether the gun is +p rated.
Old April 10, 2014, 11:23 PM   #4
Bezoar

the only thing ive seen is "38 special ctg" and still not a bad choice.
Old April 11, 2014, 08:24 AM   #5
gyvel

Quite frankly, in the long run, your SKS is going to be worth far more than that revolver.

If at all possbile, I would try to save up and buy a revolver (if that's what you really want) than make that trade.
Old April 11, 2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Gbnk82

For me I want an original Unmodified sks which I would be replacing mine with down the road I got it at a gun show and have none of the original parts.but yes I do want to get into higher end revolvers down the line I'm about to pick up an LCR for ccw and really want a 686 or gp100 down the road to add to the collection.
Old April 11, 2014, 06:09 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
I'm not getting stiffed on this deal I would be trading the sks with 4 aftermarket mags for the m206 a handful of corbon 38+p and $125 cash.
So, about $300 worth coming your way, for an SKS with non-standard magazines. "Aftermarket magazines" is not a positive feature for me, for the SKS.

Quote:
Some other info I would not plan to be using this for a carry gun it would be strictly range duty and would probably fill the roll of a glove box gun for me.
Thanks in advance for anyone's info or opinions on this
Assuming no other butchery on the SKS, and

Oh, wait...

Quote:
I'm about to pick up an LCR for ccw
The LCR will do everything the Armscor will do. No positive benefit to the trade.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 12, 2014, 03:04 PM   #8
Gbnk82

So I have one more predicament here.i now have a Taurus 607 4 inch offered to me that I really like but I'm not sure with all the Taurus horror stories I have heard.the gun would come with 2 speed loaders and 40 rounds what do you make of this trade?
Old April 12, 2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Microgunner

I just looked up the Armscor M206 .38spl revolver and our order price is $192.00 for brand new.
Add to that the $125 cash and you're accepting at most $317.00 for your SKS + 4 magazines.
I think you're getting the short end of this deal.
Old April 12, 2014, 03:22 PM   #10
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbnk82
So I have one more predicament here.i now have a Taurus 607 4 inch offered to me that I really like but I'm not sure with all the Taurus horror stories I have heard.the gun would come with 2 speed loaders and 40 rounds what do you make of this trade?
A far better deal for you in my opinion. The replacement for the discontinued 607 is the 608 which costs us $493 new wholesale.
Most Tauri work just fine.
If not they'd have gone out of business long ago.
If the 607 proves problematic, Taurus has a lifetime warranty whether you're the first owner or the 1000th.
Old April 12, 2014, 03:32 PM   #11
Gbnk82

Thank you micro gunner very good information you provided me.i think I will be ruling the m206 out altogether.

Also just out of curiosity where is your shop located in Florida? I'm also in central Florida maybe I can find my way in there one day

Last edited by Gbnk82; April 12, 2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old April 12, 2014, 06:23 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
That would be more interesting to me.

Run it through Jim March's revolver check. If it passes, I'd make the trade.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Tags
38 special , ria , sks