The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 3, 2010, 03:38 PM   #1
DanThaMan1776

Opinion of Rock River Tactical Carry Handle?

I have an RRA carbine and don't see any use for the "carry handle" that came with it. It is nifty looking but cant really be used as a carry handle and is far too heavy for being simply a rear sight.

What is the general opinion of the RRA tactical carry handle which comes with a lot of their rifles?
Old February 3, 2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Jimro

Well the trend is to go away from the carry handle and go to optics. But as far as being "too heavy" I think that is a bit of a stretch, unless you really lack upper body strength.

Jimro
Old February 3, 2010, 04:17 PM   #3
340gr

carry handle

i agree with jimro the weight of the handle is probly not any more than a quality scope ect. but if you really want to save the ounces ditch it for a lightweight optical.
Old February 3, 2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Technosavant

Don't see the point in it at all. It isn't a carry handle, more an optic riser with an integral rear A2 sight.

You can mount an optic to it and it will be up out of the way of the sights, but co-witnessing is not a bad thing. Besides, you'd be needing a mount for said optic anyway, so it's either going to sit up WAY too high to be comfortable or the handle/riser will just be one other fool thing in the way.

There's no shortage of rear sights that don't take up the entire rail of the upper receiver- YHM makes a perfectly good one, and if you want to go optic, there's a large array of folding rear sights.

I'd buy a regular folding or fixed rear BUIS for $75-100 and save the rest of the money for a better optic. Unless you REALLY want a carry handle, nowadays I'd just get the YHM (or if you want to go cheaper, DPMS has one), even if I planned to go iron sights only.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:03 PM   #5
DanThaMan1776

Jimro- I meant far too heavy when compared to other iron sight set-ups. I don't appreciate the ad hominem remark about upper body strength. If you're trying to shave down the weight of any given rifle every ounce counts.

Technosavant- thus far I completely agree with what you have said. I think i'm going to shell out the coin for another rear sight.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
It isn't a carry handle, more an optic riser with an integral rear A2 sight
You know what's funny? Last time I said that, all sorts of people came out of nowhere to tell me I was wrong.

BTW, it's not called a carry handle, it's called a sight bridge.

I agree with Technosavant, a good set of iron sights is worth a lot of peace of mind. The only other recommendation I would have would be to look at the holo sights like the Trijicon Dokter or a Burris. Very light, very functional, very good quality.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=111064
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=892460
Old February 3, 2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Jimro

danthaman1776,

I wasn't the one who said the stock carry handle was too heavy, but good use of Latin. Meant the lack of upper body strength as a witty observation on the trend of "smaller, lighter, shorter, more 'tactical'" in the AR world.

I blame video games. Remember that you are the weapon, the rifle is just a tool.

Jimro
Old February 3, 2010, 07:57 PM   #8
DanThaMan1776

I like to spend one hour sharpening the axe before I go to town on the tree. I want the best tool so I can achieve my potential. Lighter, faster, more maneuverable are all good features of any weapon which has the recoil of a rimfire.

I understand your intent, thank you.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:46 PM   #9
DMK

Keep in mind that the RRA riser/sight is designed to work with an Aimpoint. If you decide to use a different optic, it may or may not work depending on the design. For example, it's too high for an Eotech.

IMO, you have more versatility with a separate backup sight (perhaps even a folding one) and mount your optic directly to the receiver rail using a mount designed for it, if necessary.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:57 PM   #10
DanThaMan1776

Thanks for the help fellas.

I have been looking into the matter for several days and just ordered this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=873271

Ill keep the RRA Tac handle if I ever want to mount it on another rifle with an aimpoint. I probably won't but it doesn't hurt to have.

Anyone have any experience with the DPMS sight i ordered?
Old February 3, 2010, 10:00 PM   #11
TheManHimself

If you want the A2-style rear sight and an optic, a much better solution is to run the LMT rear sight (Basically a detachable A2-type sight with the handle cut off just forward of the sight) with the optic mounted directly to the upper receiver.
Old February 4, 2010, 11:12 AM   #12
Technosavant

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with the DPMS sight i ordered?
Not that particular one, but I have used a cheaper knockoff. It should work just fine; it's the same design sight as a normal "carry handle"/sight bridge design, just without the part that looks an awful lot like a handle.
Old February 4, 2010, 12:07 PM   #13
glazer1972

I had one and didn't care for it.

Tags
carry , hand , river , rock , tactical