The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 10, 2011, 12:26 AM   #1
cougar gt-e

1911 conversion to 7.62x25 tokarev

Hi,

Just saw that J&G sales has a kit to convert a 38super or 9mm 1911 to shoot tokarev ammo. Won't work with 45acp pistols.

Thought I would pass it on to any interested party.
Old February 10, 2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Jim Watson

And read the fine print on AR15.com

The 7.62x25 is longer than .38 Super and you cannot get but a few rounds in the magazine at a slant.
Of course you can handload with stubby flatpoint or hollowpoint bullets but that kind of works against the idea of a good standard gun to shoot Iron Curtain surplus. The AR15.com thread describes deep seating bullets on surplus to get 9 in the magazine... if you don't mind scary flat primers.
Old February 10, 2011, 04:55 AM   #3
gyvel

Those guns that were converted to 7.62x25 (either by the Chinese or Vietnamese; I was never clear on that) had both the front and rear wall thicknesses of the magazine wells reduced substantially and new, longer magazines were made. A guy had some at a gun show back in the 80s along with some Type 38 Arisaka carbines that had been converted to 7.62x39. None of them were in particularly good condition and I have no idea how well they would have shot. In particular, the front gripstrap looked really thin due to the modification of the mag well.
Old February 11, 2011, 12:19 AM   #4
inkyspot40

All I have ever seen were done by the Vietnamese. Most were vary crud, converted with hand tools in some hut. Thy used a different mag. Thy had to cut the back of the frame with a hack saw in most cases and widen it.the ones I have seen looked like the frame was welded with a torch and the top of a sea rat can. If you want a plinker in 762\25 Shot gun news just did a AR conversion that did not look to hard.
Old February 11, 2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Don P

My question is, why would one want to do this? 22lr will be a cheaper conversion and is shown to work. Just my opinion now.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.