The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old July 2, 2006, 06:26 PM   #1
bclark1

Recommend a gun store in IL?

Okay, I don't know where this thread belongs, but I'll be darned if I'm going to draw fire in a high-traffic area like general discussion or handguns or the likes. So if a mod catches this, please move it to wherever it's appropriate but will get the most traffic so I can get some good input.

Anyway, Illinois is not a cheap state to be a shooter in. Thankfully I'll be in Ohio in a few months, but that doesn't help me now. I've found my best bet generally to be buy online and just accept the fact that you're going to eat $50 for the shipping and transfer, and it still often comes out less than the stores I know will go.

But I love Wisconsin. We've got a place out west near Black River Falls, and when I'm in town, I go to Moe Hardware Hank for guns. I've bought a couple shotguns and rifles there, and lots of accessories, and I can't say enough about them. Great people with low prices is the bottom line.

In any case, I'm looking to get my first 1911, and I like the entry-level Springfields. They had me sold on a new Mil-Spec stainless at $550, when it came up that they can't sell me handguns since I'm an Illinois resident. Drat. So now what? Well, I was wondering if anyone knew of a store conveniently close to the Chicago suburbs that would be able to do about the same, with good prices and good people. Pretty much everything I've seen in Illinois is marked up. In Central Illinois the people are nicer, but it still costs more, and up in the Chicago area I rarely get a good vibe out of the people and places with which I shoot.

So yea, in a few words, where are the customers' favorite stores in IL?
Old July 4, 2006, 02:10 PM   #2
gandog56

Couple of things. Whereabouts in Illinois are you?
And who won't sell you a gun because you're an Illinois resident?

Only place I know where you can't get a gun is in downtown Chicago, not that it ever stops the gang members.

You should be able to find a person with an FFL that will get you the gun unlesx you do live in the Chicago city limits. Check find an FFL dealer in someplace like auctionarms.com. They'll find you the cllosest one to your zip code.
Old July 4, 2006, 03:29 PM   #3
bclark1

Yea, I've done the FFL thing before, I just like to find a shop I can go back to and get to know the people with.

Wisconsin doesn't sell handguns to residents of any states it borders, only long guns. That's what I was told, at least. So bummer.