The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 20, 2014, 02:24 AM   #1
DPris
Member Emeritus

Jay Leno Cancels SHOT Show Appearance

Apparently in response to anti-gun groups' pressure, canceled his gig at the annual industry SHOT Show dinner.

Unfortunate.
Thought better of him than that.
Denis
Old November 20, 2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Skans

Are you sure that's why Leno cancelled the Shot Show appearance? Links?
Old November 20, 2014, 09:47 AM   #3
BarryLee

Shot Show Statement

http://www.shotshowblog.com/nssf-sta...ow-appearance/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 20, 2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

From Mother Jones, which should be taken with a grain of salt:

Quote:
"I understand it's Newtown, and of course I get it," Leno told Mother Jones. "It's just sometimes, mistakes get made."
The article claims he caved under pressure from the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, which some of us remember as the National Coalition to Ban Handguns.
Old November 20, 2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Maybe they can get Tom Selleck or Clint Eastwood. (I don't think Eastwood is a closet anti, is he? I know Selleck isn't.)
Old November 20, 2014, 11:24 AM   #6
TimSr

Maybe they could get Clint Eastwood to fill in. That "interviewing the empty chair" routine was as hilarious as anything Lneo has ever done.
Old November 20, 2014, 01:04 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

The link above references the same email I got yesterday from the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

They'd certainly be in a position to know.

I don't know that I'd call Leno an enemy, but he's certainly no friend.

It's not as if he'd lose everything he owns by bucking the antis, the man's a multi-millionaire & could easily weather any storm his presence at SHOT might create.

Very disappointing.
Denis
Old November 21, 2014, 09:33 AM   #8
g.willikers

He obviously doesn't realize how bad he now looks, among his fans.
Most car folks are also gun folks.
Even in California.
Trading principles for image always backfires.
Old November 21, 2014, 01:00 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

This came from Mr. Leno's spokesperson:

Quote:
When it came to his attention that this was actually a pro-gun lobby show, he immediately cancelled his appearance. He found out that it was not what he was originally told it was, and he decided to cancel," he said.
OK, what else would the National Shooting Sports Foundation be? I find it incomprehensible that he would be ignorant of that, or of what the SHOT Show promotes.

What worries me is the extortionist rhetoric from the CSGV:

Quote:
The writing is now on the wall for celebrities who would consider getting in bed with the gun lobby: Don't do it. Because if you do, your reputation and brand will be damaged forever, without repair.
And these are the guys who talk about respecting the 2nd Amendment in their rhetoric?

The NSSF covers a lot of bases, and hunting and safety are foremost among them. Guess who distributes education literature to dealers to advise them on responsible selling practices? It's the NSSF, not CSGV. Not Moms Demand Action.
Old November 21, 2014, 01:24 PM   #10
SPEMack618

Whilst, for the most part, we, as the gun culture are doing well in the Courts, I fear that we are steadily loosing the culture war.
Old November 21, 2014, 07:07 PM   #11
Technosavant

Quote:
Whilst, for the most part, we, as the gun culture are doing well in the Courts, I fear that we are steadily loosing the culture war.
I very much disagree.

Reasoning: look at all the new shooters. There's been a MASSIVE groundswell of people interested not only in shooting, but in the shooting disciplines that have historically been the things kept veiled- self defense. It's not just people buying .22s to plink, it's people buying conceal carry pieces and getting licensed to carry.

The demographics are also shifting. The shooting community isn't a bunch of old white men... it's young people, women, minorities... it's a complete cross section of the community. When the so called "soccer mom" demographic is filling up CCW courses that's very much not a sign you're losing.

I think stuff like Leno and the bill in Washington are signs that the antis realized they're losing and making a concerted push to regain the ground they've lost over the last 10-20 years. They thought they had pretty well won. Then people woke up to what had been lost and regained much of that ground from the antis. Now the antis are trying to retake it... with some limited success but many more significant failures. Now they're left with "successes" like a so-so comedian canceling an appearance. If that's a major win for them it shows you how badly they realize they've been losing the culture war.
Old November 21, 2014, 08:23 PM   #12
Buzzcook

Jay Leno not showing up? How is this a disappointment to anyone?
Old November 21, 2014, 09:46 PM   #13
Ozzieman

Quote:
How is this a disappointment to anyone?
Because being a real car guy and one that seemed to enjoy being with us lower class at cars shows (I stood next to him in Auburn and listened to him talk about cars to another owner). I never really would have expected him to be a weak kneed lackey missing a set ()().
I’m disappointed because the anti’s can say “look who we have on our side!”

Quote:
I fear that we are steadily loosing the culture war.
I agree with this assessment. I agree that a lot more people are buying guns now but the main stream media has also done a good job of making the sheep of America believe things like the NRA is an pro-gun group. Yes sheep, pro-gun groups are the reason children are killed. Gun manufactures are evil and as one person at work agreed “What does a civilian need for an assault rifle machine gun?”

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 21, 2014, 09:49 PM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Actually, we haven't been doing too well in the courts lately. As for the culture war...we are seeing gains in some respects, but we have to contend with a full-court press from the other side to demonize us. Let's not forget the constant GUILT and SHAME rhetoric that followed the defeat of last year's UBC bill.

Still waiting for safety literature from Everytown for Gun Safety. I'd like to see how it compares to offerings from the NRA and NSSF.
Old November 22, 2014, 12:06 PM   #15
P5 Guy

Don't Tell Bloomburg

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/rifle

Two years in a row the WVU Mountaineers have had an audience with POTUS in the White House. And with the teams shooting scores so far this year it may be three in a row.
Imagine if every university had Rifle Teams.
Old November 22, 2014, 12:33 PM   #16
Ozzieman

The problem with that P5 Guy is the main stream will never show it and if they do “Schools teach children how to kill! News at 11.”

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 22, 2014, 12:54 PM   #17
Skans

Ok, that quote is enough for me to say LENO IS A WUSS! If he can be pushed around that easy, then he's already a Hollywood nobody.
Old November 22, 2014, 07:31 PM   #18
DaleA

There have been some high schools in Minnesota in the news recently for having trap shooting teams. That's got to be a positive.

And I would hope all the new gun buyers would be a plus too.

I know it's naive but I've often thought that anybody going to a range a couple of times and shooting would dismiss about 90% of the anti-gun 'propaganda' out there.
Old November 23, 2014, 06:09 AM   #19
Husqvarna

imagine when people against cars/pollution will start barking at him

the same retorhic could be used against him so he should wise up

because do you really need a car that does 300mph? doesn't a hybrid work just aswell?