The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 5, 1999, 06:29 PM   #1
Kodiac

Some have said its a wanna be MP5...
I think its what the MP5 should have been.
Totally H&K to the core. It doesn't look like the cheap quick out the door making like say Ruger stuff - it looks very good.
I like the fact that you could load it up with .45 Super ammo. Lots of firepower there.

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
"Sir Heckler"

Old February 21, 1999, 08:43 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Saw a new HK specific site today called HK PRO. Shows images of rare variations of HKs, also has images of UMP45. Go to www.suave.com/jkpro/home.htm for more.
Old March 2, 1999, 08:24 PM   #3
CUT

Had chance to ride around a G36 the other day. Almost all polymer outside, and very light weight. It had twin optics, but there kinda small and difficult to get used to. One was an Aimpoint type sight and the bottom was a ranging reticle for distance shooting. Mags clip together like SIG 550-551 mags for added firepower. Very compact with the stock folded. With the side folding stock, it doesn't dig into your hand like the old style HK retractables stocks do.
Old March 7, 1999, 08:42 AM   #4
Hilton

I posted about the UMP back in November, with some first impressions of it. I like the weapon overall, but feel that it could benefit from slightly more accessible sights -- they're lower than on the MP5 and way too low if you're using a mask, and ditch that one-size-fits-none finger groove. The gun felt fairly manageable on full auto, pointed well, and had the handy bolt hold open like the new MP5 10/.40. I understand though that HK still teaches to manually lock the bolt back on the 10/.40, just to keep the manual of arms consistent with the 9mm. The UMP's accessory rails make it even easier to accessorize than the MP5, though I'm not sure I like having to use the UTL instead of a pressure pad light forearm. We'll see soon enough if people will be lining up for this weapon, and if HK puts itself out of business for the MP5. Food for thought: notice that the "Universal" format is not being released in 9/.40 as yet.