The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2013, 03:09 PM   #1
907arcticcat

What's up with Montana Gold Customer Service/MIA

According to their website, they are 3 −4 weeks out on shipments. That's fine with me IF I was actually allowed to place an order. Online ordering is down, phone goes right to voice mail (full and doesn't allow you to leave a message), numerous emails not returned and even tried faxing in a request with no response. This is not a 2 day deal, but has been going on for at least 2 weeks.

If they are so backordered and not taking new orders, I respect that. However, make it clear on your website, phone message etc. Just communicate with your customers! We will understand and appreciate your honesty. This no response is frustrating and doesn't make me feel like you appreciate my patronage. And don't say you are too busy to respond! I'm don't expecting a returned phone call or email. A one sentence notice on your website and phone system would sure go along way in my book!
Old March 4, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Sevens

Quote:
We are 30-40 days out on all orders. Online page is 3 weeks out for a new page setup
A lot of these operations are gun people and FAR from tech people. The issues about production, demand and all of that are well known and industry wide. Whatever other technical issues they have are NOT known. It could be as simple as every single resource they have is producing bullets and boxing up product. Maybe their one "web guy" is having a minor surgery, or -HE- is in the back taping up boxes.

Your complaint is duly noted. But please understand how much power gets thrown around when folks go to discussion forums and complain. This is most often a very ONE-SIDED bunch of mud throwing.

There's not a single person in the audience reading this thread that doesn't also realize that we are knee-deep in a very difficult time for this industry. Montana Gold has a stellar reputation for product and I haven't heard many complaints about any of their practices, either.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:48 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

What's up with Montana Gold Customer Service/MIA

Yes, many small manufacturers often don't think of updating their websites real time, maybe once a week or two. Often there is no dedicated web admin or even an IT team at all. They are probably mire oriented to phone calls.

I was able to backorder bullets from them in mid-January but a week or two later they quit taking new orders. When they are so backlogged I can imagine website updates are low on the to do list.

Those of us who shop online come to expect real time info and updates. But MG may sell most of their product through distribution and online is a small part of its business, just guessing. Individual orders and communications are way more time consuming then working huge wholesale orders.

Some companies are just more focused to web traffic than others.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:53 PM   #4
BigJimP

Yes, I've noticed they've been down for quite a few weeks as well...but I think we just need to give them some time to get everything back up and working.

They make a good product ...and I'm a lot more interested in them continuing to do that ....vs their computer / website issues.

Patience...is what I suggest....
Old March 4, 2013, 04:59 PM   #5
david_r

Two whole weeks? You're kind of late to the party. Their website has the information you need. You simply choose to ignore it. If you have been at this for two whole weeks, the website order page had either been shut down for maintenance or shown 3 weeks to get it back up. Repeated calls, emails and faxes waste time they can use to mfg and fill orders.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:30 PM   #6
LarryFlew

Have 3 suppliers who are not answering phones and/or emails at this time so not that unusual. One sent a price quote to which i replied immediately with my phone number as instructed so they could call me for my credit card info. 3 weeks and counting..................................
Old March 4, 2013, 06:22 PM   #7
907arcticcat

Quote:
Two whole weeks? You're kind of late to the party. Their website has the information you need. You simply choose to ignore it. If you have been at this for two whole weeks, the website order page had either been shut down for maintenance or shown 3 weeks to get it back up.
Please explain what information on their website I have chosen to ignore? Yes I can read that it is down and won't be up for 3 weeks. I do understand no online sales right now! Nowhere on their site does it say, we are no longer taking phone orders, our phone message system is full, we do not return emails or faxes, so please do not call. We are out of stock for X months, so please leave us alone!

I think a couple of you have missed my point! This isn't about shipping delays, or long backorders, but lack of communication. I'm very well aware of the current shortages and Montana Gold is no different. If they are backordered a year, so be it....I'm well stocked up! I do however have heartburn when all 4 ways to place an order or make contact (online, email, fax and phone) do not work. I would simply like to know if they are taking orders? If so, how can I place one? If not, make that clear on your website or phone message and I will take my $1100 I spent with you last year to someone else! Short of Carrier Pigeon or a long drive, I've run out of options.

I have been an active reloader for over 25 years and shoot in excess of 10000 rounds per year. MANY tens of thousand of those bullets have come from Montana! If I didn't like their product or service, I would have moved on years ago, but truth is I like them and what they offer.

I understand everyone sees things from a different perspective, but I believe anyone who has tried dealing with them in the past 3 weeks most likely feels let down in the customer service department.

I will leave it at that! Cheers

Last edited by 907arcticcat; March 4, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:46 PM   #8
david_r

When you click on their fax/mail in order link, does it not bring you to their, "Our ordering page is currently offline for maintenance. Please check back soon!?" So exactly how are you ordering your bullets? You have no price list, you have no stock numbers. Is it a hail mary? Here's what I ordered last time, damn the price, just send me some more! That is what I meant by ignoring what is there.

I really do understand your frustration. You see, I placed an order before they shut down their online and fax/mail in ordering. Granted, I didn't order $1100 dollars in bullets from them. Nonetheless, I am waiting patiently for them to charge my card. So if you 1000s of their better customers could quit blowing up their phone/fax/email, maybe they can ship MY order.

I don't have any good news for you either. I ordered online on 1/23/13. At that time, they had there lead time shown as around 25 days. Then they either extended it to 30 days or just took down all information. In the last couple of weeks, they have put up the current information. I think it is approaching the three weeks they listed for the online page but don't recall the date they put that up.

This is from a thread on another board. "I ordered one box of .40 165gr JHP and one box of .40 180gr JHP on 1/10/13 and received them probably three weeks ago." So in early January, that was about 4 1/2 week lead time.

I don't know if that helps your buying decision. From my limited searching, jacketed and plated bullets are real spotty right now and lead times are very long.

good luck
Old March 4, 2013, 09:35 PM   #9
saugus

They are a fine upstanding reputable company that I have done business with for a long time. I think they are just like everyone else up to their a** in alligators. I would also like to order some bullets from them but I have enough stored to weather the storm.

They'll be back.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:34 PM   #10
j357

Ah, now you have gone and done it. Time to let the cat out of the bag...
907arcticcat, you are out of line. Get a grip man. We are all in this together. Small and large, we are all feeling your pain. Take a deep breath....

Wait for it....

Yes,this is a tight spot, it will pass. I think you have answered your own questions. You can't reach them, they wont take your calls. So be it.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:04 AM   #11
GTOne

Quote:
I understand everyone sees things from a different perspective, but I believe anyone who has tried dealing with them in the past 3 weeks most likely feels let down in the customer service department.
I don't know why anyone would be. The order page is down, because they aren't taking orders. Tada! They aren't answering phones or email or faxes because they aren't taking orders.
It shouldn't take any more than rudimentary info gathering to see, that they aren't taking orders.
I'd rather they work to catch up instead of listening to folks who can't figure out they aren't taking orders.

MG are great bullets, and I'd order some myself, but for that one thing(They aren't taking orders).
Old March 5, 2013, 03:56 PM   #12
reynolds357

When Obama got elected the first time, there was a panic. Everyone should have stocked up when it subsided. When Obama got re-elected, there was another panic. When it subsided, should have re-stocked. When fruit loop shot up the theater, you should have bought everything you could get your hands on. When nut job walked in the school and shot it up, you should have been on the phone ordering as soon as you heard it.
Having said all that, the only thing as far as ammo and components I have seen a true run on is .223 ammo and 7.62X39. A couple of powders are somewhat scarce. If you deal with a mom and pop shop, they have stuff for their regular customers when the shelves are bare at the big box. There is some bare spots on the shelf in the store I go to, but I always finds its way out of the back when I ask. I dont deal with the big box boys. I take care of my small store when times are good and he takes care of me when times are bad.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Sevens

Quote:
the only thing I have seen a run on is .223 ammo and 7.62X39.
Your post is quite accurate, but I'm struggling with this part that I've quoted above.

If your local guy can go in to the back of the store and bring out, at your request:
-9mm, .40, .45cal range type basic FMJ ammo
-.22LR in any size bulk pack, 225, 375, 525, 550, 500rd brick, etc
-component bullets for handloading any popular pistol caliber
-component bullets in .224" size in any boxes larger than 100 count
-smokeless powder in almost any flavor
-primers, especially small pistol and small rifle
-PMAGS for AR rifle
-AR rifles
-high cap handgun magazines
-other 20, 30rd magazines for rifles other than AR
...then you have a shop like no other shop on planet Earth in March of 2013.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:50 PM   #14
reynolds357

He did sell me two cases of ar-15 mags. 10,000 primers and 36 pounds of powder a few weeks ago. Did not want the mags but saw them there and bought them. Also bought about $400 worth of 6mm and 6.5mm Bergers. As far as handgun mags, I have all of them I will ever need and a pile will probably never need. The AR-mags are about to pay for all the other stuff I bought with them.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:59 PM   #15
Revolver1

In light of what's going on in the shooting world right now, be patient with ANY company that's gun or ammo related.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:50 PM   #16
rodfac

Way to go Reynolds, you're a real inspiration...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.