The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 10, 2011, 07:46 PM   #1
RetiredMajor

Bought the Lucid HD7 Red Dot Today

After lots of research I ordered one of these online today. $179.99 + shipping.

http://www.mylucidgear.com/reddot.php

These are getting great reviews. I'll put it on my M&P15 Sport which I've had for 4 months now.

If you haven't heard about these yet, check them out. They seem like a great value.

This is my Christmas present from my wife!
Old December 10, 2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

I have one with the flip out/in magnifier on my M&P PSX. You'll love it. IMO, it'll do anything the optics that cost double will do at half the price. They aren't combat proven yet, and that's about the only knock I can put on them vs. the EOtechs, Aimpoints, ect... of the world.
Old December 11, 2011, 07:12 PM   #3
KaNcEr

Ive been kinda interested in one of these, but a question keeps lurking in my head about them. I know you can change they reticle by turning a knob, and you can actually watch the reticle rotate into place. How strong is that knob? Will I change the reticle and accidentally not turn it far enough or a little too far and it be off by a bit? or does it basicly lock into the right position with no movement what so ever?
Old December 11, 2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Yung.gunr

Here is a pretty good review of the scope from YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqJnIGQ7h4&hd=1
Old December 11, 2011, 07:46 PM   #5
RetiredMajor

KaNcEr, that's a good question. I really don't know, but of all the reviews I've read and seen on Youtube, not one reviewer mentioned that this was a question or problem. I assume if it came up, they would have mentioned it. Every review I've seen talks about a definite "click" on all the knobs.

I guess I'll know soon enough and I'll report back after I receive mine. These seem like a really good value.
Old December 12, 2011, 11:33 AM   #6
LUCIDHD7

Introduction

I thoufght I would chime in.

This conversation has been brought to my attention, and I thought if there is any way I can help I would be happy to.

So, Hello, I am Jason Wilson Owner and primary at LUCID. If you have any questions please let me know.

As for the question above, Yes there is a de-tent stop for each reticle. It is also worth noting that the HD& has a ZERO POI shift when transitioning between the reticles, this is because we mask the LED rather than like most multi-reticle optics that actually move the LED.

Thank you & Best Regards,

Jason Wilson | Primary & Founder of LUCID
www.mylucidgear.com | [email protected] | 307.840.2160
Old December 12, 2011, 05:29 PM   #7
RetiredMajor

Jason,

Thanks for jumping in with your comments. FYI, I was going to buy the Vortex Strikefire until I saw the reviews on the Lucid. I should receive mine later this week just in time for my birthday. I'm looking forward to getting to the range to give it a workout. I really like that it uses AA batteries.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:17 AM   #8
tirod

I see on online retailer mentions it's a "Gen II" version. What changes did that make?

Great price point, I missed not having a red dot this hunting season. Literally, I missed. Black cross hairs in a 2 power on a cloudy day are hard to center up.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Uncle Malice

Cool to see Jason posting on here.

I picked up the Lucid HD7 last month and it is spectacular. I'm running it on my 10.5" SBR (currently in pistol form, awaiting NFA paperwork)

It works very, very well.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:44 PM   #10
TriumphGuy

I have a question, Mr. Wilson. Where are these made?
Old December 14, 2011, 04:00 AM   #11
chris in va

That was also my question.
Old December 14, 2011, 06:34 AM   #12
Uncle Malice

They are unfortunately made in China. Quality does not seem to be negatively effected though.
Old December 14, 2011, 07:54 AM   #13
TriumphGuy

Thanks Uncle. Guess I'll keep shopping.
Old December 14, 2011, 08:16 AM   #14
Uncle Malice

If you want US made, you're going to be paying at least twice what this one costs.

I consider it an acceptable trade off... If it bugs you, tell the government to get out of the pockets of business owners and they can afford to actually make their products here.
Old December 14, 2011, 08:54 AM   #15
TriumphGuy

Uncle, my philosophy is that if there's an American made alternative, I'll either wait until I can afford one or buy the foreign made item used.

No offence to those who choose to do otherwise.
Old December 14, 2011, 11:13 AM   #16
tirod

IIRC it came out that these are made in the same plant that also manufactures components for Eotech and Aimpoint. Only contract sales to Uncle Sam require manufacture on US soil, there seems to be no distinction in price for an optic sold on the civilian market, tho.

As a counterman in auto parts, it's virtually impossible to get some repair or replacements that are Made In The USA. We as a consumer have failed to pay the higher labor costs we demand as a salary. Therefore, we buy brake rotors for $35 rather than $85 each, ad infinitum.

It certainly is up to the individual. What I find appalling is the lack of honesty in selectively ignoring the issue when it comes to firearms, when many of the daily things we use are never questioned. We buy on price far more than quality, and most of us never consider their advantage in money only exists when they deliberately play off their own citizens labor rate to pay a foreign worker less. And they fill storage units with the excess, paying rent on things they refuse to use or sell.

There's more than one AR15 manufacturing plant overseas, no one really know for a fact every single part in it is Made in the USA. Ironic for someone to insist their gun won't have foreign made optics on it - Aimpoint is Swedish, most 1911's are imported now, the forums full of posts on Wolf ammo. Clamping a questionably US sourced optic on an upper actually from Korea is exactly the point - the true origins are concealed to a high degree.

I look forward to the day I can build a hotrod with engine cast in Windsor, Ontario, a transmission assembled in Mexico, and differential imported from someplace Dana won't say. At least I know it - and I do have a Lucid on my short list. I'm a working American with a degree, veteran, and my fellow citizens simply won't pay me what I'm worth. They just pay what I'm willing to do.
Old December 14, 2011, 02:23 PM   #17
TriumphGuy

Tirod, you're correct. You can't ALWAYS buy American. Some products simply don't exist and there are even cases where the US made product is inferior to something made overseas. However, I'm of the opinion that neither of those cases apply here. I see that the Lucid mounts are American made. If the magnifiers were as well, I might even buy the whole system. Can't pull the trigger on it as it is though.

I don't have $500 to drop on a new EOTech today, but I'd rather either find one used or wait until I've got the spare cash for it. That's just me. You can do as you please, but it's not fair to complain that your fellow citizens won't pay for what you're worth and then buy foreign products if you can help it.

http://americanmadeoutdoors.com/cate...ights-usa.html
Old December 14, 2011, 03:53 PM   #18
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
tirod

Quote:
most 1911's are imported now
Really? I was unaware of this. Do you have a source for this info?

Now, go figure...
Old December 14, 2011, 09:19 PM   #19
RetiredMajor

The Lucid HD7 arrived today. It looks and feels like a very high quality piece of kit. It installed easily and functions like it should. I like the fact that I can use my iron sights with the co-witness functionality. I should be able to get to the range this Friday to zero and test it. So far I'm very impressed.
Old December 15, 2011, 09:22 AM   #20
tirod

On the 1911's, rereading the article points out it's the budget models: http://gunsgunsguns.net/handgun-roun...-budget-1911s/

Glad you like the new HD7.

I was talking with the owner of a local manufacturing plant last night, mostly lamenting the difficulty in purchasing components on the supply chain. Seems the transportation industry is overwhelmed with foreign imported parts, and what the buyers and accounting have shipped is difficult to trace. The conversation went something along the lines that "Japanese cars made in the US have more American parts than domestic, the Ford Taurus is only 80% or so."

Can't attest to the accuracy of the numbers, but I do know for a fact that happens. I pull French sourced parts off my '90 Cherokee doing repairs - Renault had a major influence on them in those days. The injection system was "Renix" - Renault Bendix, the same as used on Jag, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

While not definitive, check the Brownell's catalog, they flag items Made in the USA, and it's surprising what isn't. Why one or another might be from an offshore or undesignated source is exacty what we don't know - and our laws concerning content do allow a much higher percentage of parts to be from overseas and yet be labeled American.

It's very much an individual choice, but it's extremely difficult to practice Buy American when the label is allowed on products with up to 40% foreign content - and finding out from where is nearly impossible. They can barely keep up, it changes from year to year.

I'll suggest a line in the sand against any one nation's products would likely create such financial hardship buying only Made in the USA that only the most financially blessed could pull it off. Pragmatism about cash flow simply disallows the luxury of a moral stand for most Americans. Not sure we ever were any good at it, anyway. Americans like buying foreign brands that work better or at least offer features we can't get otherwise. We drink tea from porcelain labeled as an entire class "china." Even if it's actually British.

Yup, the country patchwork imprinted Christmas coffee cup I need to refill i Made in Japan. Time for some more java from Venezuela.
Old December 15, 2011, 09:49 AM   #21
pturner67

Where did you get it for $179.99? Lucid site has it for $249.
Old December 15, 2011, 10:45 AM   #22
RetiredMajor

pturner67,

I orderd it from 3RiversPrecision.

http://www.3riversprecision.com/

They have a promotion going on. There was a Youtube review of this scope done on the Military Arms Channel and the reviewer negotiated a discount for viewers. Enter the Promotional code MACHD7.

Now, this is the price for just the scope itself. It DOES NOT include the 2X magnifier. The Lucid price of $249 may include the 2X magnifier, so make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

The 2X magnifier isn't something I'll use so I didn't want to pay for it.

Good luck,
Major
Old December 15, 2011, 10:49 AM   #23
pturner67

Quote:
pturner67,

I orderd it from 3RiversPrecision.

http://www.3riversprecision.com/

They have a promotion going on. There was a Youtube review of this scope done on the Military Arms Channel and the reviewer negotiated a discount for viewers. Enter the Promotional code MACHD7.

Now, this is the price for just the scope itself. It DOES NOT include the 2X magnifier. The Lucid price of $249 may include the 2X magnifier, so make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

The 2X magnifier isn't something I'll use so I didn't want to pay for it.

Good luck,
Major
cool thanks
Old December 28, 2011, 09:34 PM   #24
Wyoredman

Just bought a LUCID HD7 for my Ruger SR556. Really cool product! I just mounted it tonight, and it apears to function as advertised. I can see my flip up Troy sites through the optic, so that is kinda' cool!

I will zero it and report this weekend.

BTW, I contacted Jason at LUCID and he swears by the warranty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SR556 001.jpg (261.0 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by Wyoredman; December 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old January 5, 2012, 12:16 AM   #25
Wyoredman

Here is the result of the LUCID zeroed at 100 yards. Mounted on my Ruger SR556E. Ammo: PMC 55gr FMJ

Each reticle was used on a small target, 3 rounds each. The Circle DOT reticle was used for the large center target rapid fire, 22 rounds.

I used the Circle Dot because it was the easiest for me to see the target @ 100 yds. I am not using a magnifier.

My eyes are't super great, so I was happy!

I am quite happy with this red dot. It held zero through reticle shifts and was very easy to zero. I zeroed at 50yrds first, then took target to 100 yrds fired three shots, adjusted down three clicks, changed targets, and this is the result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg targets 003.JPG (145.1 KB, 113 views)