The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2010, 04:42 PM   #1
old bear

Wanted 12 gauge "coach gun"

Good evening all, Can any of recommend a good quality 12 gauge “coach gun.” This will be used for S.D. only. Thanks for your help.
Old March 16, 2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Mossy500

hey, ive heard the Stoeger coach guns are pretty good, but alot of people dont like that the safety automatically re-engages when you break it open. around $399

i bought a Century arms coach gun a few weeks ago. i love it, it has the old style look, single action exposed hammers. easy take down, every fits great. i really like it. i was shooting clays with it last weekend and after i got used to it i hit most of them. that was my first time doing clays. priced around $260

"Its only illegal if you get caught"
Old March 16, 2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Hog Buster

I’ve got a Stoeger Coach Gun and pleased with it. It’s made in Brazil and has the European style safety, goes on when you open it and has to be taken off after re-closing it to fire. Doesn’t bother me, but some folks don’t like this feature. It can be modified however. I use mine for varmint and vermin control. It’s barreled modified and improved cylinder and groups well out to about 30 yards. It’s chambered for 3 inch shells also. Points quick and fit and finish is good. I paid about $300.00 for it.
Old March 16, 2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Lavid2002

Every coach gun we sell at the store seems to come back broken....

Stoeger that is.
Old March 16, 2010, 08:35 PM   #5
LateNightFlight

I have a Stoeger single trigger coach gun that I leave out for HD with 3" mag buck loads, with extra ammo in a buttstock shell holder.

Quote:
Every (Stoeger) coach gun we sell at the store seems to come back broken....
Hmmm, hate to hear that. I haven't shot mine much so no problems so far. What kind of issues have you seen with these?
Old March 16, 2010, 08:46 PM   #6
oneounceload

An "automatic safety" is a common feature on field guns. It is usually not found on target guns.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:23 PM   #7
ice monkey

Just about any “coach gun” will do if it’s for SD. Clearly, by definition (hopefully anyway), a SD gun will never be used. All one has to do is pattern it (ideally), shoot it for reliability and “familiarity” as much as you feel you need … and you're off to the races. Even “cheap” sxs’s (Stoeger) are up to that these days. It’s when you take it out and shoot round after round of sporting clays that you run into trouble.

Bottom line is; if it’s going to sit at home 353 days of the year – a Stoegar will do. Even if you do a little hunting with it - the Stoeger will do. If you’re going to play some clays with it though, move up a class or two (my Stoeger couldn't take the punishment).