The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2009, 07:41 PM   #1
earlthegoat2

Limits on Primers

Is anybody else out there experiencing this? I know it has happened in the past but lately I thought things were getting better.

The only shop in town has a 100 (thats right one hundred) primer limit per person. At least they have some but it is aggravating I cannot get at least 1000.

Everyone gets a little so no one gets a lot.
Old December 28, 2009, 07:43 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

where are you getting them now??? borders??? come to wv and get 1,000 of each type at classic in barboursville..... its only half hour drive for ya.
Old December 28, 2009, 08:05 PM   #3
ccwtrainer

makes me appreciate my friend who owns a reloading supply shop when he calls with another 1 or 2 thousand he can sell me!
You can bet I get over there pretty fast!:
Old December 28, 2009, 08:12 PM   #4
AcridSaint

200/day in town here. Prices aren't terrible, have to order 2K+ online to beat them thanks to hazmat. I don't shoot 1400 rounds a week, so it's OK for my needs while I wait for backordered primers to come in and new ones to get in stock somewhere.
Old December 28, 2009, 08:44 PM   #5
tes1900

Hope this helps

Earlier this month I ordered thousands and at what I considered to be a reasonable price from Mid-South Shooters. (http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/)
The gal on the phone did tell me that there would be about a 6 month wait. Considering that there were only Wolf primers available around me that was acceptable.
The link should take you there.
Tom
Old December 28, 2009, 08:56 PM   #6
abber

The guy at Sportsman's warehouse told me today he could only give me 500. He said I would have to take them out to my truck, and come back for more - (but HE didn't say that ). The manager was there, and said, "just give him the 1000". I said, "thank you VERY much".
Old December 28, 2009, 09:20 PM   #7
Rod38um

No limits here in Portsmouth....... not too far down the road from you....
Old December 29, 2009, 03:53 AM   #8
bfg9000guy

Sportsman's Warehouse here in Utah posts a 2K limit... but their shelves are always empty so it doesn't matter.
Old December 29, 2009, 07:17 AM   #9
hornady

Nothing against Mid-South. I have spent a pile of money there. But as to the 6 Month back orders. I was told the same thing. Well I placed my order on April 5th. Still no primers. So that’s going to be a vary long 6 months
Old December 29, 2009, 07:40 AM   #10
Uncle Buck

Funny You Should Ask,

I was at bass pro (Kansas City) the other day and wanted 300 small pistol primers. The guy tried to talk me into buying the whole box so he did not have to break the brick...
Old December 29, 2009, 08:39 AM   #11
hornady

Its strange how some areas are coming back. And others nothing. All the shops in my Area are still Rationing. 1 to 2 hundred at a time.
Old December 29, 2009, 11:42 AM   #12
Hardcase

My shop rations them - no more than 10,000 at a time. But he sells 'em for $44/1000 (small pistol), so the market sort of self-rations.

He does a brisk business, though, so the demand is clearly there.

He got a bunch of some kind of Russian primers a few weeks ago. I bought a box and I swear I'll never do it again. I've never had a problem seating primers until I bought those. Nasty.
Old December 29, 2009, 12:06 PM   #13
Dodge DeBoulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcase
My shop rations them - no more than 10,000 at a time. But he sells 'em for $44/1000 (small pistol), so the market sort of self-rations.

He does a brisk business, though, so the demand is clearly there.

He got a bunch of some kind of Russian primers a few weeks ago. I bought a box and I swear I'll never do it again. I've never had a problem seating primers until I bought those. Nasty.
Were they Wolf primers? Those are made in Russia.

I had a number of misfires with those, until I learned to really slam 'em into the primer pocket . . . kinda scary, but nothing blowed up yet.
Old December 29, 2009, 12:26 PM   #14
Hardcase

I don't recall if they were Wolf or not - they came in a white box. I find that if I very carefully line up the case with the primer, they'll seat with a bit of extra pressure. The Winchesters that I normally use aren't so fussy.

No misfires, but some squashed primers that went in cockeyed.