The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 25, 2001, 09:44 PM   #1
Battler

This is for a Winchester 1300 defender with fiber-optic front sight

What's a cheap ghost ring? I know of MMC; but that's all I can find, and they aren't so cheap.

Do they cost much to have mounted?

BTW - regardless of whether or not this is an improvement, at very least this would mean the nearest indoor range to me would let me shoot it indoors (must have rear sight to shoot shotgun w/slugs indoors here).

thanks,
Battler.

Old March 26, 2001, 01:21 AM   #2
DML

Forget it! There are no cheap sights that are worth bothering with, besides, you will need a new front sight to go along with it and that may cost more then the rear sight.

You could try the Williams rear sight, but the ones I have seen don't hold up to a lot of shooting. I don't know if the Scattergun rear sight will fit on a Winchester. I could try one tomorrow and let you know.
Old March 26, 2001, 02:29 AM   #3
gunmart

what dml said......
Old March 26, 2001, 05:28 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Williams and Lyman peeps on my HD 870s have been there since the early 80s.
They've taken hundreds/thousands of rounds w/o a hitch.

Those used until recently by military marksmen/women on rifles like Springfield 03's converted to 300 magnums and Model 70s chambered for same hold up for more shots than most of us ever fire.
Old March 26, 2001, 05:50 AM   #5
gunmart

dave we generally agree on everything but this time i have to differ.the williams sights for (shotguns) are not very durable for what a patrol shotgun is used for.they are quite fragile and the screws that are provided with them seem to strip out quite simply and are very small.the combination of the two lacks somthing to be desired in a patrol shotgun or hd shotgun.if the sights are protected in a hard case all the time and are not adjusted much they seem to work fine.i would be hard pressed with as many great sights as there are on the market in the same price range as the williams to put williams on my shotguns. however i have used them on many rifles and contenders with great success...

i prefer the scattergun or the wild west for a ghost ring sight system.

i have been playing with the new ashley patridge sights and have not come to a conclustion if i like them yet or not.i will keep you informed...

if all you want is a cheap set of sights to go to the range with order the factory patridge sights.they will set you back about $10 and a good gunsmith can put them on for a little or nothing.
Old March 26, 2001, 09:01 AM   #6
jthuang

How about the factory Mossberg ghost rings? I believe they are available from Brownell's for something on the order of $40-50 (certainly cheaper than MMC ghost rings).

Justin
Old March 26, 2001, 10:19 AM   #7
Battler

jhuang: Yeah, the ghost ring sights on a $200 Mossberg look good.

Unfortunately (as someone said) it looks as though I may need to get a new front sight too? Sounds like the whole surgery would end up costing as much as a new $200 Mossberg ghost-ring-bayonet-lug-darthvader-politically-incorrect shotgun.

I like my 1300, though - no offense to Mossberg folk.

Old March 26, 2001, 11:26 PM   #8
DML

I checked and the Scattergun rear sight will work on your Winchester, but you still have the problem of the front sight. MMC makes a band front sight that is OK if you can get it to stay put.

Actually, the Mossberg rear sight works very well. It's not pretty, but it is quite tough and cheap. You would still have to consider the front sight. With a Mossberg rear sight and a MMC band front sight (without tritium) you might be able to set your gun up for around $100.