The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 13, 2010, 05:15 PM   #1
bigamehunter93

Nightforce NXS scopes

I am interested in buying a nightforce NXS scope for long range hunting out to 1000 yards. Which one would have the best overall clarity and high power magnification?....Price is no question, I am willing to sell out for a good scope.
Old April 13, 2010, 05:22 PM   #2
zoomie

I don't think you'll see much difference within the NF brand. As I've posted before, I think the 5-22x50 will work well for you. I chose the 3.5-15x because I plan to shoot more mid-range and I think 15x is adequate for occasional long stuff. If price is really no factor, look at S&B. Very nice pieces.
Old April 13, 2010, 05:50 PM   #3
geetarman

I did not think I would ever buy a Nightforce scope. I have what is considered good glass on my rifles now ( Leupold VXIII and Nikon Monarch ).

Quite by chance, I was at the range and a guy was working on his sight in and during a break, I asked to look through his scope. He had an 8-32X56 NXS on his rifle.

He told me I could manipulate all the controls. . .so I did.

I have never seen a scope that impressed me that much in my life.

It just so happened that my local dealer had two of them in stock. . .now he has one.

I mounted that on a 700BDL 22-250 and to say I am pleased would be an understatement.

I have seen quite a few reviews of other high end scopes like Schmidt And Bender and Hensholdt.

I am afraid to look through one. I spent a lot of money for the Nightforce. Probably 3 times what I have in the rifle. I would do it again.

I don't know how much better those scopes are over the Nightforce, but according to some who have used both, there is a lot of difference.

If money is not an issue, then at least look at some of them before you decide.
Old April 18, 2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

I have the 5.5x22 and my bud has the 3.5x15. Personally had I known how the reticles differed I would have gone with the lower power as my friend did. It has plenty of stadias to get out to 1K and beyond as does the 22x but the lower power isn't as conflicted with mirage as mine is on the higher powers. Once the sun get up you can bet the higher power will be backed down to around 18 or lower.

As for the others yes they are wonderful as well. It is nice to be able to state price is not an option, but that is something I will probably never be able to say. It took me almost two years to get the first one so I highly doubt that since things have tightened up I will be adding to my collection.

I would also say to add Huskemaw to the list of ones to look into as well. Huskemaw Optics/

They have had very high reviews from some LR shooters on another board.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope it does well for you.
Old April 18, 2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike / Tx
I would also say to add Huskemaw to the list of ones to look into as well. Huskemaw Optics

They have had very high reviews from some LR shooters on another board.
They've also had some rather low reviews, so you pay your money and you take your chances with that one.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388504
Matt.25:40
Old April 21, 2010, 04:41 AM   #6
Mike / Tx

Quote:
They've also had some rather low reviews, so you pay your money and you take your chances with that one.
I totally agree that you generally get what you pay for.

I have found that the name however does not always fit the bill. I always look through any optics I purchase as it will be my eye alone that decides if it has the clearness, brightness, parralax, or lack of, that will make it a good enough scope for my uses.

For years I used Leupold, and found them wonderfully fine, but when things tightened up financially, I had to choose something of less expense, and purchased a Burris, then later on a Nikon. Since I have found that quite a few of the not top end scopes work equally as well in 95% of all the situations I use them for, and in the other 5%, I highly doubt that an extra grand would produce any better results.

When I purchased a set of field glasses, I found that while I had the funds to get any one of the top of the line brands, it was the lower priced Nikon's, which were brighter, clearer, and even water proof, where the others simply didn't impress me. Yes they were the recommended can't live without brand names, but they just didn't work for me and I ended up getting two pair of the Nikons for the price of one of them with change left over.

I always recommend to look at or through any optic before a purchase. Every eye is different and will determine the end users satisfaction with any product.