The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 9, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1
PT-92

Does a Gun Safe (Still) Mandate a Security Alarm System?

Question: For those that have a gun safe of even moderate to great quality, do you still have an alarm system as well to further backup/enhance security?

I realize this will vary in that there is no universal answer, but I guess I am trying to ask if because a determined perp can access "most" gun safes with the proper time/tools (crow-bars, saws, etc.) does this logically necessitate the need for a "monitored" alarm system that will at the very least make the perps job exponentially more difficult and at best render your safe essentially invulnerable?

I know life is tough right now for most of us so costs is an obvious factor--but for our purposes here, say the monthly security monitoring fee is not a considered variable in the equation, is it recommended?

-Cheers
Old November 9, 2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Unless you can fit everything worth stealing in the safe, I see no relation.
Old November 9, 2012, 11:42 PM   #3
PT-92

Brian,

I get what you are saying but for the sake of my question let's just assume that the safe is the only item in question one is looking to secure.

Do you believe that the safe itself can be secure enough on its own rendering 1) it practically impenetrable and 2) subsequently not in need of an additional layer of security such as a monitored alarm system?

-Cheers
Old November 10, 2012, 03:51 AM   #4
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-92
Do you believe that the safe itself can be secure enough on its own rendering 1) it practically impenetrable and 2) subsequently not in need of an additional layer of security such as a monitored alarm system?
It seems to me that would depend on the safe. The level of security is proportianal to the cost.

With enough safe, the stuff inside would be safe while the rest of your belongings were carted away or burnt to the ground. With not enough safe, they will just drop it on a corner to spring it open or just haul it away to open later.
Old November 10, 2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Bellasogno

I have two alarm systems. Smith and Wesson.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:38 PM   #6
PH/CIB

To me the alarm system is even more important than the gun safe. I have both and a dog and insurance, check with your local police and sheriff's department and talk to them about response times, mine is probably less than fifteen minutes, that gives someone only fifteen minutes to get in and steal something and get out, not much time when anything of value is in the safe or locked up or hidden. The alarm system also detects fires and notifies the fire department.

If you have just the safe and no alarm system, a thief can take their time to try and defeat your safe and unless it is a very expensive heavy steel safe it can be done with the right tools or your own tools that you left in the house.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old November 12, 2012, 11:32 AM   #7
a1abdj

Each does something entirely different. An alarm system will help to protect the items that aren't usually kept in the safe. It will also reduce the amount of time that a bad guy has to work on the safe.

However, this does not change the fact that you should be using the proper safe for the job. Back before alarm systems, banks and jewelry stores would place their safes within plain view of the windows. Not only did this discourage bad guys by making them visable to those passing by, but it also discouraged them by letting them know that they wouldn't have an easy task facing very formidable security.