The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 24, 2010, 05:08 PM   #1
mrray13

French MAS1936

Okay, just bought this rifle today for the son's Christmas present, he gets a new (to him) rifle/gun every year. He's really into WWII era stuff, so I tend to concentrate in that area. Although he does have a Yugo SKS, he's also got a Mosin Nagant M44, a Enfield Mk4, a Turkish Mauser 98 and a M1 carbine (Universal Arms reproduction).

So today I go to my favorite gun shop (Hicks Trading Station, Pickneyville, IL) and find the MAS1936. It's in good shape, no pics as it's still at the shop, has the sling, and bayonet, and still wears it's original furniture, not sporterized.

Here's my questions...

At $150, did I get a decent buy?

The serial number is 316 or 319, and although I haven't checked to make sure it's a numbers matching gun, does that help the value? If it's a numbers matching gun, how much of a help?

I guess I need a C&R, lol. After a bit of reading in this section, I can tell it will help, lol!!

Thanks ahead of time for any help. I've looked at a few websites as far as info on the gun goes, but really haven't seen anything about the value of the gun.

Also, my son has inherited a Remington Mod 11 shotgun. It's about 75%, is engraved fairly heavily from the factory. I'm thinking of getting it refinished if it's worth it, so what kind of value would one put on it?

Kent

Last edited by mrray13; October 24, 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old October 24, 2010, 10:32 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think you did OK on that MAS. They are an interesting gun, though not especially valuable. They do provide a look into French military arms thinking, especially their seeming desire not to make anything that could remotely be considered as deriving from the Mauser. They also have no safety (unless one was put on here) as the French drill was to not load the rifle until it was to be fired. They are simple, though, and sturdy. The ammunition (7.5x54) is not easily available, but can be made from 6.5x55 Swedish by fireforming and trimming; some have been converted to .308 Winchester, but I admit to being leery of those until I see an individual gun and know how the conversion was done.

On the shotgun if it is really factory engraved (and not just roll marked with a couple of game birds) I would be careful with any refinishing that might damage the engraving. If you have the work done, make sure the gunsmith know what not to do in the way of polishing and rebluing an engraved gun.

The value would depend on the extent and quality of the engraving; the gun itself is impossible to value without a better description an pictures. The Model 11 was essentially the Browning Auto Five as made by Remington. They made them in a number of variations and finish, including engraving, and they can run from $100 or so into mid-four figures.

Jim
Old October 24, 2010, 10:45 PM   #3
abelacres

mrray13,

Are you interested in adopting another son? One that's grown up and has a job and house of his own? Wouldn't cost anything but a gun every Christmas....
Old October 25, 2010, 11:57 AM   #4
mrray13

Jim, I mis-wrote about the shotgun. It's got a pheasant on the right side of the receiver, a goose on the left, and says Sportsman on the bolt. The bluing is faded, with some rust. The wood is the worst part, with many scratches and dings, and where the buttstock sits alongside the receiver, it's missing a couple chunks, on what would be the pistol grip. Do you think it's worth refinishing? Got any idea of value now, and possibly after restoring?

Thanks for the info on the MAS36!

abelacres, lol, thanks, but no thanks! One is enough, lol. I'm just glad him and I share this interest and that I can afford to help in it. Truth is, the most expensive rifle he has is the M1 reproduction, and I got it for $250. The rest were under, or at $150. The Turkish Mauser I traded a Mossberg Youth 20g for that I had $75 in, lol. His Model 27-2 I got for a steal even, $350! It's a 73 version, nickel with an 8 3/8 barrel.
Old October 25, 2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Arquebus

Without seeing photos of the MAS, it sounds as though you got a good deal on it, especially if it's not a refurbed one but still a heck of a buy if it is! Ones around here tend to go $225 & up. Actually 7.5x54MAS ammo is quite readilly available these days, being made by Prvi Partisan, even my little local gun shop keeps a few boxes on the shelf (approx. $17/20). Unprimed brass, as well as ammo, is available from Graf & Sons. I bought an arsenal refurbed MAS 36/51 a couple of years ago, they are a solid shooting rifle. They are also an easy rifle to reload for as they take standard .308 diameter projectiles.

The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. (William Thackeray).
Old October 25, 2010, 10:05 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Model 11 Sportsman was made from 1931 to 1949, with a hiatus for the war. Value variation depends mainly on the barrel rib, with no rib the least expensive, solid rib next and vent rib the highest value. Even so, brand new in the box, a vent rib gun will bring only about $500; low for a plain gun is around $120. Yours sounds like it would go for maybe $150 less if the rust is extensive. The engraving sounds to me like the standard factory roll marking (which would add nothing to the value), but a picture would confirm that or show it to be something else.

Jim
Old October 26, 2010, 01:39 PM   #7
magnumPi

actually, aimsurplus.com and ammunitiontogo.com both have Prvi Partizan ammo for 13.95 a box
Old October 26, 2010, 06:41 PM   #8
mrray13

Jim, the shotgun has a solid rib, and the rust is about 95% surface only, with some minor pitting. A quick coat of oil, and the rust goes away. The bolt shows the worse, although with a quick polish job, would be good as new.

From what I've read, and toss in what you folks have said, I have indeed gotten a great deal on the MAS. It's got some dents and dings in the wood forened, but otherwise, she's a looker! It isn't perfect, but for a rifle approaching, possibly, 70-74 years old?!?!

Anyway, as I get more info on the MAS, I'll pass it along!
Old November 4, 2010, 08:09 PM   #9
smleno1mkIII

the 7.5 french round is easy to make to you just take a hack saw the the end of some commercial 30-06 brass run it through the 7.5 mas sizing die then use a lee trimmer with a cordless drill to trim the case down the rest of the way and there you go 7.5 mas brass uses 3.08 diameter bullets to.