The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2006, 06:52 PM   #1
Zeek5793

Powders

Fisrt I was loading some loads with IMR 4350 I had started out with some new powder that i just bought, and then remembered that I had some{ same powder ##for sure} that was older and just poured the old powder in on top of the new, but when I use up down to the old I had to change the powder cutter, ALOT more than I ever have, does powder lose wieght to volume, as it get older?
Second,, has anyone ever heard of or used a powder # H240 ,, not 2400 it say H240 on the can
any help would be great
Thanks Zeek5793
Old December 14, 2006, 08:21 PM   #2
cheygriz

NEVER mix powders of different lot numbers. There is always a slight difference when you change lot number. Probably not too big a deal unless you're loading maximum charges, but still not a good idea.

Powder weight/volume will change over time, but usually not significantly, as the moisture content of the powder changes. If you keep your powder in sealed, air tight original containers, you can keep it for many years. But every time you open the can and pour a little out, you let out (or in) a little moisture.)
Old December 15, 2006, 12:50 AM   #3
mrawesome22

http://home.hiwaay.net/~stargate/powder/powder.htm This was the only link I could find on H240. And it's just a burn rate chart. Must be obsolete. I know they aren't making it now.
Old December 17, 2006, 07:30 PM   #4
castnblast

there is an industry standard deviation in density of + or - 16% so I'm told. I don't recall the source of that info, but I do recall reading something to that affect. I had an issue similar to what you are describing w/ some IMR 4064. (I didn't mix them though). The first lot had some space in the case after loading. The second can had next to none. I double checked the charge weight, and went on my merry way. That second batch shot like crap. I wound up reworking the whole load. Lesson learned...always run a test round before loading up a bunch of ammo w/ new can of powder.
Old December 17, 2006, 07:56 PM   #5
WIL TERRY

Yes, We Have Heard Of H240 And Used It Many Years Ago.

It was HODGDON'S version of HERCULES 2400 at the time.