The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2013, 04:18 AM   #1
Bill Akins

Interesting rendering of crossbow/shotgun combo

Saw this online and thought it was interesting and do'able in reality for someone with the inclination. "The Mule" is a homemade weapon featured in Resistance: Burning Skies (PC game). Obviously it is a crossover of a crossbow and a double-barrel shotgun. Interesting concept isn't it?

Moderator Note: Bill Atkins has notified moderators that he has written permission to use this image.
"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Spats McGee; December 4, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old December 2, 2013, 05:24 AM   #2
Slugo

that's really cool! Besides shotguns and shooting, I love really good artwork...
Old December 6, 2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Bill Akins

Sorry, I should have mentioned this in my original post.

I'd like to add that the above posted image is posted here by written permission of the artist who owns it. He gave me written permission to allow me to post it. His name is Sean Byers and this is his e mail:
[email protected]

You can view different viewing angles of Sean's image renderings of the crossbow/shotgun combo at this below link.....
http://www.seanbyers.com/weapons.php?link=2

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old December 6, 2013, 01:26 PM   #4
armoredman

Add brass fitting and you have a great steampunk weapon!

Seriously, it looks like something the Walking Dead would use, but I can't see how it couldn't be made to work. A stiffiner under the barrle to give the prods something to draw against might be a good idea, so as not to warp the barrels - just a thought. Love the artwork, Mad Max type weapon.
Old December 6, 2013, 01:40 PM   #5
MTT TL

I am baffled as to how to reload that crossbow in a safe manner. Also wonder what would keep the bow from launching when firing the shot gun. The cheek piece as drawn looks worthless.
Old December 6, 2013, 07:40 PM   #6
BigJimP

Now that is something else you need Slugo ......
Old December 6, 2013, 08:14 PM   #7
jaguarxk120

MTT TL chances are the bow is drawn when shooting the shotgun. Powder gas is bled off to bring the string back cocking the prod.
Old December 6, 2013, 08:25 PM   #8
MTT TL

Quote:
Powder gas is bled off to bring the string back cocking the prod.
I completely missed the Garand style operating rod.
Old December 7, 2013, 10:23 AM   #9
jaguarxk120

When you are dealing with a computer generated image anything can be made to happen.
Just think a shotgun loaded with "smart shot", you shoot and never miss the target. That is on a computer screen.