The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 20, 2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Mauser8mm

Old .22 caliber rifles

I have always loved old .22 caliber rifles and am looking into collecting them, maybe from the 60's to the 80's. Let me know what is cheap and available! Thanks!
Old February 21, 2013, 04:24 PM   #2
LarryNTX

I would suggest the Remington 5-teen series. 510,511,512,513.
They're affordable, available, very good quality, and collectable.

Model 511.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Mauser8mm

Thanks Much!

Appreciate the reply, very cool looking rifle!
Old February 21, 2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Microgunner

I've got a Winchester mod 75 Target.
Very cool old rifle, well made, accurate and affordable.

Old February 21, 2013, 07:01 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Old??? 60s to 80s???? OMG!!! Now I'm feeling old myself!!!

There are lots of "vintage" 22s out there. I once had a nice collection of them but liquidated them a number of years ago. The problem is, there are so many makes and models. The collection I had was pretty much "youth rifles" - inexpensive rifles from the early 1900s to the 1930s and 40s - single shots that were intended for "first rifles" for a kid. If I was going to collect again, I'd probably pick one or two brands and concentrate on the different models in those lines. The nice thing is that you can still pick them up at flea markets, garage sales, etc. - sometimes but not always at a cheap price.

At the time, I was also picking up vintage 22 ammo boxes that I displayed with them. They are an interesting thing to collect as well. When I was a kid, shorts, longs and long rifles were what we had. I don't even know if longs are even made anymore. If you start collecting 22s from the years you referred to, you might keep your eyes open for ammo boxes from that period. There are a lot of brands that were available then that are no longer available.

Advertising is also a neat thing to display with a collection - especially if they are for the guns you have. In the 50s and 60s when I was a kid, there was a vast array of guns advertised in a lot of different publications.

Good luck with your collecting - as you find 'em I hope you'll post some photos of your "finds". Enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 21, 2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Colokeb

If you want to go OLD you can go back quite a few years.

Mossberg 352ka my first gun, a semiauto from 1958
1890 Winchester
1906 Remington
This is a hard to find Mossberg model L Martini style singleshot: 1931

Old February 21, 2013, 08:47 PM   #7
RonR6

My dad had bought a rifle like the one in your first post, but I dont remember it being a model 511. He paid like 15 dollars for it at a garage sale and refinished the stock. It looked very nice like yours and brings back memories. My brother now has that rifle and I have a Remington 541-S we would shoot at thumbtacks at 50 yards and both rifles could hit them all day long. Nice rifle you have there.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:43 AM   #8
SGreve32x

I have an old Remington Targetmaster model 510, and Old remington model 550a and my favorite, And old Savage 23aa Sporter. I will get some pictures of them up for ya.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:09 AM   #9
candr44

Don't overlook old Mossbergs and Marlins from the 40s and 50s. They were better made back then especially the Mossbergs.They are also easy to find and not that exspensive.

Also, store brand .22 rifles are another source of good cheap rifles. Collectors haven't caught on to these so the prices haven't been driven up. You can often get a store brand rifle cheaper than the exact same name brand rifle.

Another thing to consider if you are going to buy old .22s is parts availability. You may find a old gun that you really like for a good price but it may need a little work. Firing pins, feed mechanisms, and springs are some of the parts that may need replacing.

Taking some dummy .22 rounds to try in the gun also helps. Its not a completely accurate test but at least you can see if it feeds and ejects properly.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:17 AM   #10
AssaultTortoise

I was interested in the same thing this summer. I decided to go to each gun-show in the area with whatever free spending cash I could ($200 or less) and find the best deal at the show. I bought a really nice mossberg and a nice Marlin 81dl that needed restored for very little money. Its fun walking around scoping deals. If its a big show take a note pad and write down gun/cost/table# of everything you like. Make a few rounds around the show before you make a decision. Half the fun is finding and dealing on them. The site linked has been a big help as well. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
Old February 22, 2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Hardcase

Cheap is a relative thing, but if the OP is considering '60s to '80s era .22 rifles, the Marlin 66 ought to be right up at the top of the list. There are scads of them out there and with a little looking, you should be able to find one in great shape for under $150.

And how about a Ruger 10/22? They're kind of the epitome of that era's .22 rifles, I think. Both are about as simple as a semi-auto rifle can be, parts are plentiful and they're easy to find.
Old February 22, 2013, 04:49 PM   #12
Erno86

There's a shooter at our range...that might be wiiling to part with his WW2 German Mauser 22 training rifle. He also has a BSA 22, that has a heavy barrel, with a single shot Martini Henry action.

Send me a message...if you are interested, and I'll get in touch with him.
Old May 7, 2013, 04:39 PM   #13
JaDub

I too am a sucker for older .22s. Since the days of thinning out rabbit and gopher populations on the family farm I`ve always felt `magic` when I picked up a vintage .22 . Here are a few of my Remingtons.

Old May 8, 2013, 09:54 PM   #14
BerdanSS

Nice DUB! I love those old pump guns

My Dad has his old Western Field #41 repeater. My great grandfather bought it for him to hunt rabbits with on the farm when he visited as a boy. Dad and I take turns knocking 410 hulls of fence posts at 50 yards with it when we shoot together

I got bit by the bug also. I'm getting into collecting the different models of the Mossberg trainer rifles. I didn't relies there were so many different variations of the models. I saw one a couple weeks age while doing research into what to start collecting. My love of mossbergs in general, along with the history of these sealed the deal.

This is the one I just picked up on GB to kick off the collection. It's in the process of shipping, the wait is all but unbearable. It's a late 50s manufacture 151M.

next on the list to add is a US Property marked 1940s 42M mag feed bolt action. In addition to the rifles themselves, there is a whole slew of original accessories, advertisement and telescopic sights to collect.

If you like the old mossys like I do, this site was VERY helpful to me in my research. http://home.epix.net/~damguy/

Last edited by BerdanSS; May 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:22 AM   #15
mxsailor803

I guess I came from the wrong era. Grew up in the 80's but love guns from the 70's on back. I actually got into collecting the remington 550's and 550A's. Something about them just put a smile on my face
Old May 9, 2013, 05:08 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hey Dub, is that an optical illusion, or does the top rifle really have that much drop at the stock?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:33 AM   #17
kraigwy

I guess I'm getting old, never thought of 60-80s rifles as being OLD.

Anyway for what it's worth, I have a Model 63 and 62 Winchesters from the '20's they're old.

Not a 22 but I have a Remington pump Model 25 in 25-20 that is a match to my Winchester Model 62.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 9, 2013, 11:29 AM   #18
eldermike

I still consider my Winchester 67A I got when I was 14 years old the best shooter of all my 22 rifles. I have a savage model 29 that is older than I am (I am 63) that shoots great also.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:05 PM   #19
BerdanSS

Can't have a complete collection without stuff like this to go with the rifles

Hunting down adds, posters and other paraphernalia if almost as fun as hunting for the rifles
Old May 9, 2013, 10:59 PM   #20
Craig010

Here's one that is probably unknown to most. It's a Marlin 50. Manufactured from 1932 to 1934 with a total production of only a couple thousand. Magazine fed, open-bolt, semi-automatic and I've read the first semi offered to the civilian market. Has a tendency to go rock and roll with a little wear on the sear which probably contributed to it's demise.

When I got this one it was rusty, had a broken stock (in two pieces) and was missing a couple of parts. She still fires fine and has a nice shot group.

~Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M50_After1.jpg (45.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0750.jpg (54.6 KB, 142 views)
Old May 9, 2013, 11:52 PM   #21
bustersmaster

I have a Winchester model 67a in the "for sale" section on this forum. Hows that for a shameless plug?
Old May 10, 2013, 09:39 AM   #22
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Magazine fed, open-bolt, semi-automatic and I've read the first semi offered to the civilian market."

Maybe the first Mossberg semi-auto offered to the public, but certainly not the first .22 semi-auto offered to the public.

Both Remington and Winchester had semi-auto .22 rifles in the first decade of the century. Those were, however, chambered in proprietary shells (many .22 Long Rifle cartridges at the time were still loaded with black powder, or a black/smokless combo that would have jammed such a rifle).

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 10, 2013, 04:38 PM   #23
JaDub

" the wait is unbearable .........."

The drop is an optical illusion because the photo was taken at an upward angle.

Love the old Marlin !!!! It just LOOKS right.

Shameless plugs are exceptable.

I`ve come to the realization that I AM `vintage`.

I`m beginning to gracefully ( and cleverly ) play the `age card` when the need arises. Keep the old .22s comming........let`s see what ya have.

JaDub
Old May 10, 2013, 06:18 PM   #24
mark clausen

I would seem that as far as the OP goes there has not been much input as far as 60s thru 80s 22 are concerned. The Remingtons are a good choice, Winchester,yes, H&R,you bet. Lots of Mossberg talk, and that's where I fit in. Well Mossberg and Stevens. This is my Mossberg collection stsrted two years ago and I have around $800 in all of them. They are, from left to right.
42MB w/ British Proofs. 51M Spegiel, 46B(b), 44US, WWF version of a 46A,
46, and a 46A proper. The gun on the far left obviously isn't a Mossberg, its a Weatherby Varmit Master, JP Sauer manufacture I inherited along with the 42 MB which got the whole Mossberg infection going.
[/URL]
Old May 11, 2013, 09:20 AM   #25
csmsss

The Marlin Model 60 certainly fits within the OP's parameters and has a very well deserved reputation for accuracy and durability, especially for a rifle in its price range. I've got one from the early 90's that shoots like a champ.