The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1
murphjup

Lee Reloader's Help from .45ACP to .22-250?

Hi All, I have been reloading .45 ACP with my Lee Classic Turret 4 hole press...
for a couple years... with Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure... Lee Safety Prime...

I want to reload 22-250 for my first rifle round, I have one time fired Hornady Factory Brass... and Hornady Vmax 55 Gr Boolits...

What do I need to start reloading 22.250? For my Ruger Hawkeye Bolt Action...

Thank you in advance..

Last edited by murphjup; April 18, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old April 18, 2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Smaug

First off, it's 'bullets' not 'boolits'.

Secondly, it seems you've already got the press. I had one of those too; nice press.

Your rifle is bolt action, I take it? If so, you need:
  • Bullets
  • Rifle powder. Choose something recommended by your loading manual.
  • Small rifle primers
  • Case lube. I'd get the Lee stuff that can be diluted in water.
  • A set of dies, I recommend Lee Collet Dies, so it will just resize the neck, and you'll keep your fire-formed brass.
  • A case length gauge, and something to trim the brass with. (again, Lee has a cheap and effective solution)

Read the instructions in your loading manual. They'll fill you in.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old April 18, 2011, 11:15 PM   #3
hk33ka1

A set of Lee .22-250 RGB dies

.224 Bullets
Primers
Powder
Empty .22-250 cases
Lee .22-250 case length gauge
use Case lube on these ones.

Your .45 ACP shellholder is the same for this cartridge.
Old April 19, 2011, 02:10 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

I'm sorry, Smaug.

I must make a correction to this:
Quote:
Your rifle is bolt action, I take it? If so, you need:
Bullets
Rifle powder.
Small rifle primers
(emphasis mine)

Unless Murphjup is using BR cases, he will need Large Rifle primers.
Old April 19, 2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Scorch

The OP says he already has bullets, Hornady VMax 55 gr are a good choice. Depending on your rifle, it may prefer 50 gr, 52 gr, 53 gr or 55 gr. Try some of each, if you have them available. I tend to avoid bullets below 50 gr because of poor long-range performance.

As far as powder, find a good powder that you can actually find from your loading manals. Someone will tell you that the best all-around powder is Blartenfast XX29 powder, or whatever, and anything else is garbage, but choose a powder from your loading manual that gives good velocity and accuracy. I currently use W760 in my 22-250, many people like IMR 4320, IMR 3031, Hodgdon H380, Alliant Reloader series, etc, etc, etc. The Lyman manual has recommendations based on their accuracy results, so that might be a good place to start looking.

Yes, 22-250 uses large rifle primers, I prefer Winchester WLR primers, but feel free to use whatever brand you want or have available.

Case lube is also the subject of much speculation and opinion. I use Imperial Case Wax, have for years. I used to use RCBS case lube, anhydrous lanolin, and various other slippery goos, and settled on Imperial Case Wax.

As for dies, Lee Collet Dies get my vote, especially for bolt action rifles. And as a side benefit, you don't need case lube with them. Others have recommended RCBS X Dies, but I have never used them (too old and set in my ways, I suppose). Or use whatever you can find and afford.
Old April 19, 2011, 06:57 PM   #6
murphjup

Thank you all.

Thank you all for the information...

What would be the best way of loading the powder? I'm used to the Auto Disk, but I know it wont work with 30-40 Grains of powder, what do you all suggest?

Old April 19, 2011, 08:34 PM   #7
80viking

One more vote for the Lee collet die, but get the deluxe die set because it comes with a full length sizing die. A neck sized rifle case that has been repeatidly loaded and fired will eventually grow enough where it will become difficult to chamber and will need to be pushed back.

I would get an RCBS powder measure, but if economy is an issue I hear the Lee Perfect Powder Measure works well.

Don't forget A loading block.

A near max load of H380 should work very well with the appropriate bullet weight matched to your rifles rate of twist (22 cal. rifles are very sensitive to bullet weight).
Old April 19, 2011, 09:03 PM   #8
murphjup

Do you use the collet die with the full sizing die? or are they two different process's? Rememebr I know nothing about Rifle reloading, it's seems much more complicated...

Old April 20, 2011, 03:13 AM   #9
Scorch

You would neck size with the Collet Die until the case grows enough to keep the bolt from closing, then resize with the FL die to bump the shoulder back a few thousandths of an inch, then you can use the Collet Die several more times until the cases have grown to the point you can't close the bolt again. By then, you'll be ready to throw that brass away and get new cases and start over, about 10-15 reloads for the 22-250.
Old April 20, 2011, 03:13 PM   #10
murphjup

Here's what I ordered today from MidwayUSA...

Lee Deluxe 3-Die Set 22-250 Remi...

Lee Zip Trim

Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure Dou...

Lee Factory Crimp Die 22-250 Rem...

Lee 4 Hole, Classic 4 Hole Turre...

Lee Case Trimmer Cutter with Bal...

Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock...

Lee Case Length Gage and Shellho...

Lee Case Sizing Lube 2 oz Tube

Lee Chamfer and Deburring Tool

I have Powder and Primers coming from another Source, Thank you all for your help!!

Old April 21, 2011, 12:21 AM   #11
Scorch

You don't need to crimp 22-250 for a bolt action.
Old April 21, 2011, 06:20 PM   #12
murphjup

I will try some crimped and some without...

Thank you all your help!

Old April 21, 2011, 08:27 PM   #13
Mobuck

You'll need a powder scale and funnel and a block for holding the cases upright after charging so you can charge 20-50 and the seat the bullets. Hornady V-Max don't have crimp grooves and crimping will damage the jacket. Stick to the manual recomendation for overall length until you gain some experience. I don't recomend the auto disc for rifle cartridges as there's usually too much difference between charge choices ie, too much or too little powder. You might get lucky and find a useable charge weight or maybe not.
Old April 22, 2011, 12:09 AM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
What would be the best way of loading the powder? I'm used to the Auto Disk, but I know it wont work with 30-40 Grains of powder, what do you all suggest?
Looks like you bought the "double disk kit", which is what you need to throw larger powder charges. I found that the double disk kit leaked a lot of powder on my autodisk, so I bought a Pro autodisk and it handles the double disk kit a lot better.

I still use the Autodisk for pistol rounds. In fact, I'm in the process of buying an autodisk for each caliber I load. They're only $30 or so, so I just leave it attached to the turret and die set, pre-set for the charge I want to throw. Makes changing calibers real fast.

Your other options would be to throw the charges with a regular powder measure, separate from the autodisk. I do that for my "high accuracy" loads. Its a little slower than using the autodisl or pro autodisl. Or you can "dip and trickle" if you're doing small batches.
Old April 24, 2011, 02:48 PM   #15
murphjup

Yes I am going to try the Double disk kit, to see if it will work for me, if not I will try other options...

Thank you for the insights!