The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 5, 2005, 03:45 AM   #1
Blue Heeler

Short Barrel Hammergun

G'day Shotgunners - I'm a pistol shooter myself, I know a hell of a lot about them too. Shotguns I don't know, which is why I'm here and looking for advice. I need to get a short barrel hammergun. I had one but I've had to give it back. I know that there are quite a few replicas about mostly of the 1878 (?) Colt. Can anyone tell me what is best. Price is not that important.
Old March 6, 2005, 05:02 PM   #2
44-40

Hammer shotguns in the U.S. are almost a thing of the past with the exception of the single shot.With the new interest in cowboy action shooting there are a few hammer doubles out there, mostly russian manufacture, I guess I will have to ask the obvious, whats wrong with a hammerless pump????
Old March 6, 2005, 05:47 PM   #3
Blue Heeler

Pump action shotguns are 'illegal' here (Australia) except for a few special circumstances. We are only 'allowed' to have 2 round capacity.
I do have a good shotgun - William Powell 12ga. I like the Hammergun though because it is ideal for fast use in tight places and there is never any doubt about its status - hammers back (provided it's loaded of course) and it's ready to go.
Old March 6, 2005, 06:31 PM   #4
HunterTRW

If you are seeking a "best quality" hammer gun you might look for one from Purdey, Holland & Holland, Boss, or one of the other old-line English makers. Otherwise, you might consider a lower-grade Parker, Remington, or L.C. Smith.

You will find some offerings fitted with Damascus barrels, while other, later models, will feature nitro-proofed Whitworth Fluid Pressed Steel barrels. If money is no object you can have the Damascus barrels on the gun of your dreams sleeved so that they may be safely used with modern nitro-powder loads. Whatever you choose, for safety's sake please have it thoroughly checked (paying particular attention to the barrels: no bulges, dents, or excessive pitting or corrosion) by a competent gunsmith before you part with your hard-earned brass.

I have a L.C. Smith Field-model hammer gun with fluid steel barrels. It's nothing fancy, but I love it because it is solid and reasonably well-made, and being afield with it puts me in an Edwardian frame of mind (sort of like being in an A.B. Frost painting come-to-life).

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old March 6, 2005, 07:41 PM   #5
JackHurst99

I dont know if you have access to gun auction websites in Australia, but gunbroker.com had 20" barrell sxs with external hammers. brand new guns too not used guns. they listed as Cowboy Coach SXS but did not list manufacturer. there was one listed as T.T.N. Coach Gun. they had them listed under the new Cowboy Action Shooting. i guess that is a new fad. the guns looked like pretty good ones though. good luck aussie.
Old March 6, 2005, 08:29 PM   #6
Blue Heeler

I have discovered that short barrel hammerguns are pretty rare in these parts and of course they are (mostly) quite old. My local gunshop has one only and it's a Rossi. It has been used as a 'cowboy' gun and shows wear to the exterior but otherwise seems fully functional and mechanically sound.
The problem for me is that I'm in the country and the nearest city is a couple of hours away and apart from the on-line store in my state www.potfire.com.au there's not much in the way of gunshops. When I buy a gun it's usually new and ordered from Sydney (a thousand miles away). Otherwise I see who's selling what at our local gun clubs - it could take a long time to find a particular gun, especially if it is unusual or in short supply.
I'll probably try an advertisement in our National shooters magazine 'Australian Shooter.'
Meantime I'll keep looking and any info I get will be appreciated.